What's up, first time poster here!

So I was just messing around today with my RG70, and I accidentally left the Distortion on during the drum machine and I got a pretty cool Industrial beat going. So I got my Rock Band mic, booted up Audacity, and made this- it's only ~30 seconds long, but I was just experimenting. Totally new to recording and everything (thus why I'm using a Rock Band mic and freeware), but I just wanted to see how I did with my attempts at recording and Industrial.

Song's on my profile page (do you need to say that or is it implied? Like I said, total newbie here).
Thanks! Yeah, not much more I can do with the equipment I have, though. Or is there? I don't know too much about recording, so do you think I could get better quality somehow with a Rock Band mic (don't worry, a real mic's on my to-buy list)?
I use the exact same stuff to record as you. Where did you have the mic set and did you do anything in Audacity? Normalizing and layering whatever you record is usually pretty helpful.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Right now I have the mic propped near the center of the amp on top of a cardboard box pointing 45 degrees up. And I didn't do anything in Audacity besides move the bass track up some. I have no idea how to properly normalize and equalize and things like that.
There's a filter to normalize things. You just have to highlight the area you want then go to 'Effect' and the top then to 'Normalize' then press OK when prompted. Try turning your amp up very loudly and put the mic as close to the amp as possible.

You might want to set up Audacity similar to this. You can find this options under 'edit' then 'preferences'

Setting the recording to 2 (stereo) is all you have to do there.

I'm not really sure if there's any difference between what I have here and the default settings.

You can get lame from here for the mp3 export.

I think that pretty much covers it.
Quote by aldo47
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Last edited by Balmazer at Jul 12, 2009,
Oh, so you're supposed to have as much volume as possible? I was worried about having too much, so I just did it on practice volume. I'll try playing around with normalize and everything you suggested right now.

EDIT: So I tried Normalize, but maybe my ears are just not attuned to these differences, but it just seems louder. I can post the normalized mp3 if you want to see if you can hear a difference.
Last edited by GuerillaGorilla at Jul 12, 2009,
Normalizing pretty much makes quite things louder and very loud things quieter.
Quote by aldo47
Last edited by Balmazer at Jul 12, 2009,
Already got lame since Audacity prompted me to when I tried to export it as a mp3 (but it's only v. 3.93, if that matters). Changed it to 2 channels.

So what's this going to do exactly since I only have 1 mic? Well, I kinda have 2 since this is a third party mic that has a splitter and 2 mics so people can share vocals in Rock Band, but it's still essentially just 1 mic.
Quote by GuerillaGorilla
Already got lame since Audacity prompted me to when I tried to export it as a mp3 (but it's only v. 3.93, if that matters). Changed it to 2 channels.

So what's this going to do exactly since I only have 1 mic? Well, I kinda have 2 since this is a third party mic that has a splitter and 2 mics so people can share vocals in Rock Band, but it's still essentially just 1 mic.

It doesn't really do much other than make it sound better (I find).

The version of lame doesn't matter, just the bit rate the higher the bit rate the better the quality, but the bigger the file becomes too. For the absolute best quality you would want to export it in an uncompressed format, but once again the file size will be very large.
Quote by aldo47
Sweet, will definitely try more recording in the morning when everyone isn't asleep. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Normalized version is officially up now, too.