Page 1 of 2
My friend and i are planning on taking about $5000 and starting up a custom guitar semi-business out of our college. We're both majors in design, and the woodshop at our college has lazer cutting tools along with all the other tools we would need to build guitars.

Major companies that have streamlined guitar making facilities sell their guitars for about 200% of what it cost in materials and labor. We would be making all custom guitars and selling for about 50% profit on materials to keep things cheap. i.e. we'd probably sell a custom superstrat with blackouts for around $1k or so (maybe a little more, maybe a little less) We'd probably just be selling to kids in the college for a start, lots of kids there play guitar.

We will be starting up this master plan and ready to sell in about a year or two.

My question to all of you is: how willing would you be to buy a custom guitar for around $1-1.5k, made to your exact specifications, setup to your specific tuning/string gauge, with follow up pictures every step of the way.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Jul 12, 2009,
isn't that basically what carvin does?
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
I applaud your entrepreneurial enthusiasm. But I think you need to look outside of school for marketing.
How many people in college can afford a $1500 guitar? If people at your college have that kind of money, please tell me where you go to school. I'll come nab myself a hot young sugar mama.
Quote by guitarmankyle
isn't that basically what carvin does?

No, carvin doesn't make a custom model for you, they just take a model they make and slap on a floyd if you want one, and paint it for you. We would make custom, custom guitars. Shape, pickups, binding, vibrato (more than just floyd roses), paint, neck shape, inlay, number of frets, thinness of guitar (as in thin like ibanez s series, to thick like les pauls), double necks if you want, etc.

Quote by cedricsmods
I applaud your entrepreneurial enthusiasm. But I think you need to look outside of school for marketing.
How many people in college can afford a $1500 guitar? If people at your college have that kind of money, please tell me where you go to school. I'll come nab myself a hot young sugar mama.

actually, yeah. the people going to my school (the majority of them) are pretty loaded. the tuition is around 40k a year, and the school is primarily female (about 70%), but a lot of the guys play guitar.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Have you two ever made guitars together?
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Quote by you = fail
Have you two ever made guitars together?

not together, no. But we both know how to

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
not together, no. But we both know how to

Well I would say get about 6k instead of 5 and blow a thousand or however much it costs to make a guitar, and just use it as a test run. If its a success you have a sovenior...if its not so lucky, you know how to imprvoe
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
yes... i would want a guitar from someone who HAS made a FEW guitars before forking out much money for one...

you might want to find supplyers for the hardware ect too...
im starting a business and im mostly looking at supplyers atm... ive got one in my sights and will be hopefully tryout one of there guitars in the next few days/week... if there good ill get more :P
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by you = fail
Well I would say get about 6k instead of 5 and blow a thousand or however much it costs to make a guitar, and just use it as a test run. If its a success you have a sovenior...if its not so lucky, you know how to imprvoe

yeah, we're definitely making a prototype of every guitar just to see any flaws in construction or any cons and problems that might arise because of the way any guitar is built. We would also save every design we've made, and than charge less for guitars made from pre-existing templates.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by David Collins

I wouldn't invest too much until you've done a bit more market research, and built and sold a few instruments to see what's really involved. Things don't often go perfectly as planned, and if I may be entirely honest, it sounds a bit naively simplistic so far. You're going to run in to a lot (and I mean a lot) of unanticipated complications and hurdles.

We're not investing that much, and we would only continue to use that money if everything was working out, or atleast progressing well enough. We would have professionals help in making these guitars, and the first year before actually starting to make the guitars would be market research: making designs, building template guitars, getting peoples opinions and scrapping unpopular designs, finding potential investors and getting buys lined up before we furthered our efforts.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by metal-matt
yes... i would want a guitar from someone who HAS made a FEW guitars before forking out much money for one...

you might want to find supplyers for the hardware ect too...
im starting a business and im mostly looking at supplyers atm... ive got one in my sights and will be hopefully tryout one of there guitars in the next few days/week... if there good ill get more :P

yes we would make a few guitars and probably allow people to test them out or buy them before taking the custom orders.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
wait... "scrapping unpopular designs"

I don't think that is really a custom shop. A custom shop should be a CUSTOM shop. Not choose from a set list of things.

I would start by making 1 or 2 prototypes and cheap $10 pups to let people feel the guitar and how well it is constructed then when they buy their custom one they can choose the pups and stuff.

You don't even need a pup in it. or just maybe a Humbucker, single coil and a volume knob (push/pull to change between pickups) so you don't spend an extra $300 on prototype models.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Jul 12, 2009,
Word of warning: There are users on UG who will probably hammer you and talk you out of this idea. So look out

I suggest you take it slow, just build a few guitars for yourself and get used to everything. You can't just say, I got a lazer cutter so I'm going to start a guitar building company.
Quote by random_B-RAD
wait... "scrapping unpopular designs"

I don't think that is really a custom shop. A custom shop should be a CUSTOM shop. Not choose from a set list of things.

I would start by making 1 or 2 prototypes and cheap $10 pups to let people feel the guitar and how well it is constructed then when they buy their custom one they can choose the pups and stuff.

You don't even need a pup in it. or just maybe a Humbucker, single coil and a volume knob (push/pull to change between pickups) so you don't spend an extra $300 on prototype models.

what i think he means is that they will have pre designs from people to choose from, if they just want a nice custom model (like stuff that would cost alot to put into a model from another company line) i don't think he's scrapping the whole, if you have an idea we'll build it.

and as for my 2 cents, i say make one good guitar, like the flagship model, the guitar you guys will be known for, and use quality materials in it. then make a couple of mock up guitars out of a relativly cheap wood material, that way you not out a whole lot of money on the wood, and you could make the early models bolt on as well that way you don't have to make millions of necks, you can just show the guitar to people take in research data to see what people like and don't like about the design. if they like one of your cheaper mock ups, then sit down with that person and design it with them with everything that you can use in them.

my answer to you question on would i buy a custom guitar for around 1,500 is a maybe. one problem you might run into is people not willing to pay that much for a custom guitar without a big brand name. also don't forget online marketing, it will expand your business even if its just buy a dozen or so people.

good luck though
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by F8iscruel

my answer to you question on would i buy a custom guitar for around 1,500 is a maybe. one problem you might run into is people not willing to pay that much for a custom guitar without a big brand name. also don't forget online marketing, it will expand your business even if its just buy a dozen or so people.

good luck though

Exactly. Custom guitars from luthier's don't have a large resale value. People would probably spend something on an Ibanez Jem for $2500 with a good resale value then a "Guitar made by 2 guys in college" which wont have very much resale value.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Don't cut corners on the prototypes. The guitars you show people before they buy have to be as nice as the ones they are going to buy. Don't do cheap mockups. Better to show potential customers 2 great guitars than 5 okay ones. That means use the same woods, the same hardware, the same, pickups, same finishes, that you plan to sell. And even if you decided to hang up your hats later, and least you and your buddy will have a couple great guitars!
Thanks for all the input. The "flagship guitar" idea that F8iscruel said was pretty much dead on of what i meant. We also were going to start a website once everything else came together. We wouldn't cut corners on the guitars made from the prototypes, seeing as the first guitar's we made would be for ourselves (we're also in a band together) so people would see our guitars and possibly spread our business at shows.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
So you want to start a guitar building company, even though neither have you have even started building guitars, with tools from your colledge for 5/6k

How long exactly are you planning on being at colledge for, 10 years? lol and what are you going to do about tools when you leave? Another few thousand investment?

I'm not saying dont do it, I'm just saying the current buisness plan isnt viable, you need to be quite a few completed guitars down the line before even thinking about doing it as a buisness.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
as a suggestion, make basses too. I get PO'd when companies don't make both guitars and basses, like Warwick or Parker.

well, I think Parker does make basses now, but you get the point.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
as a suggestion, make basses too. I get PO'd when companies don't make both guitars and basses, like Warwick or Parker.

well, I think Parker does make basses now, but you get the point.

But then they need to learn what makes a bass good, how to do bass freboards and all that stuff. Let them start off easy with some guitars, if someone wants a custom bass they can do it if they want to.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by SPBY
We're not investing that much, and we would only continue to use that money if everything was working out, or atleast progressing well enough. We would have professionals help in making these guitars, and the first year before actually starting to make the guitars would be market research: making designs, building template guitars, getting peoples opinions and scrapping unpopular designs, finding potential investors and getting buys lined up before we furthered our efforts.

Looking at the two sections in Bold.

Professionals helping you is cool, but will very likely cost money (how can they dedicate the time you will need for free?)

Building prototypes, scrapping stuff etc, also costs money as can finding investors (what are they investing in? You have nothing to show them.)

You also stated that you would have a 50% mark-up on your guitars and that this would value them at around $1700. This would make your build cost $1133. This is a high build cost.

So either, you haven''t done your research on the parts and materials, running costs etc and in reality your guitars could be cheaper (making this venture much more viable) OR, you are aiming on building extremely high end guitars that will greatly reduce their saleability.

How many people in your college? What percentage of them are potential buyers (play guitar)? What percentage of them could/would actually buy a guitar?

There is nothing wrong with wanting to do it, I would love to throw a was of cash like that at a project, but I don't throw money at anything unless I know some will stick.

If you can afford to lose this money, great, do it. But I would start small and work up.

Rather than go looking for potential buyers of a guitar, have them come look for you.

Find some local bands, who play regular gigs and have a following of sorts and speak to them about using one of your guitars AFTER, you have one to show them.
Either offer them a guitar at a token price or give it to them BUT, look into what you would want from them (can they offer you good exposure?) an have them agree to it for a 12 moth or 6 month period etc. But also be realistic regarding what you want from them, then monitor them.

If they make your guitar sound the nuts, people will come looking for you and THAT is how you sell stuff.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Great advice there from Skeet.

If you have access to a workshop, and you have developed the skills to do building, then I agree that the money you spend on this venture could be largely spent on a couple of very nice models that you can demo here and there and put in people's hands to do the convincing. Maybe an endorsement deal of sorts with a player with a lot of exposure. (That is something that I have recently hooked up and it's feeling like a good move)

Good luck with it.
to skeet:

i think i said 50% of parts and labor (or atleast i meant to), i have researched the parts and we think that we could get a pretty good build for around 600 (give or take a bit: ~200 for wood, ~200 for pickups, ~200 for hardtail bridge, knobs and other accessories + a few more depending on the parts) so yeah, maybe less than 1500 i guess i overshot.

there are a couple thousand people going to my college, a good number of them play guitar, so many that my college hosts an annual battle of the bands with a cash prize. I do know quite a few local bands and would try to market to them.

the 2500 that i would contribute to the deal would be from one year of work-study, and i dont have that kind of money to waste. we wouldn't buy up materials and use all of our money at once, we would build one or two guitars and see how things go. If no ones interested, and we get no business or potential business, than we have 2 new custom guitars.

while i might not have shared our whole business plan, it has been thoroughly thought out.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
endorsements are pretty useless if the band doesnt have magazine, or internet coverage. they have to mention you in interviews or its pointless. your better off hooking up with a store than a band. the boutique stores are better. I know a guy who makes 2 a year and sells them for $2,000 in a store on consignment. or you could drop of 2 guitars each at 2 stores. have the stores promote them a little. thats what campbell guitars did over here by me. they also hit the london guitar show. I really think you should build one guitar first for yourself.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by random_B-RAD
But then they need to learn what makes a bass good, how to do bass freboards and all that stuff. Let them start off easy with some guitars, if someone wants a custom bass they can do it if they want to.

Basses really aren't any harder than guitars (I have made both). I would suggest building a few guitars and selling those or letting people try them and order a custom if they want instead of putting a lot of money into it beforehand.
Quote by 420 FREAK
Basses really aren't any harder than guitars (I have made both). I would suggest building a few guitars and selling those or letting people try them and order a custom if they want instead of putting a lot of money into it beforehand.

this is pretty much what i already said i was going to do...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Just throwing out a quick opinion, although it's negative ( forgive me ): I would never, ever, ever for any reason invest $2,000 in a guitar that does not yet exist, which will be made by two relatively inexperienced college kids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a college aged guy myself ( 20 yrs old ) and build my own gear, but the last thing I would do with 2K is hand it over to a kid my age who has only made a handful of guitars. Would YOU spend 2 grand on a guitar made by a kid down the hall in your dorm/apt? Maybe you would, but I wouldn't.

Just a thought.

EDIT: What I WOULD do is buy a guitar that was already made by a kid down the hall. That way I can actually play it and decide whether or not it was worth a couple thousand. However, I would never "risk" my money on a guitar that doesn't exist yet when I know it's being made by beginners. As a disclaimer, I'm by no means saying that I'm not a beginner myself, which I definitely am
Last edited by lumberjack at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by lumberjack

EDIT: What I WOULD do is buy a guitar that was already made by a kid down the hall. That way I can actually play it and decide whether or not it was worth a couple thousand. However, I would never "risk" my money on a guitar that doesn't exist yet when I know it's being made by beginners. As a disclaimer, I'm by no means saying that I'm not a beginner myself, which I definitely am

^this would be the start of our operations, and i didn't say that the guitars would be 2k. i posted saying that i overshot the first price and could probably make hardtail customs for around 600, sell them for a bit more, or get OFR on their for 2-300 more.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
^this would be the start of our operations, and i didn't say that the guitars would be 2k. i posted saying that i overshot the first price and could probably make hardtail customs for around 600, sell them for a bit more, or get OFR on their for 2-300 more.

Selling a custom guitar for $600 is highway robbery, of yourself. The amount of time put into building and finishing a guitar is huge, and there's no way you can be paying yourself for your time by selling them off at that cheap of a price. You'd have to be working for free.

EDIT: Whoop, 600 was your build price. Even so, what if you charged 800 for a build that cost you 600; you're still killing yourself via a poor time spent/money made ratio...

Skeet has some good advice, as usual. I agree with his suggestions.
Last edited by lumberjack at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by lumberjack
Selling a custom guitar for $600 is highway robbery, of yourself. The amount of time put into building and finishing a guitar is huge, and there's no way you can be paying yourself for your time by selling them off at that cheap of a price. You'd have to be working for free.

again, i said the parts would cost around 600, i said i would sell it for more, probably around 1k

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
2 grand, why not just buy a gibson they're so gud! Jk.
If I had the money, I would consider it.
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by Toolfan11
2 grand, why not just buy a gibson they're so gud! Jk.
If I had the money, I would consider it.

do people even read the posts? again, i just said in the post above you, i would sell the guitars for probably around 1k for a hardtail, maybe more, maybe less depending on the cost and difficulty of making the guitar.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I think you need to go to the drawing board and ask yourself the common questions:
-Who will your customers be? How many customers are there? How 'big' will your 'customer' area be? Will this be online or mainly focussed on real life?
*From what I know from my time as student I was happy to pay for fuel and a new couch, rather than dropping 1k on a custom guitar, while a $400 Epiphone would also do. College isn't exactly the time for big expenses.
-What makes your company unique? What does your company add that can't be done by buying from Warmoth/eBay or customising their current guitars? People on a budget would sooner buy some new pick ups and pimp their Squier/SX/Rondo/etc. than buy a completely custom for a lot more. You can customise a $200 to a decent level by dropping $250 worth of A-brand products (pick ups, tuners, nut, bridge) on it.
-Do you have the skills? Building a GOOD guitar isn't exactly very easy.
-What do your customers have to spend?
*Get friendly with the local music store and check out their prices. Do they have tons of Epiphones, or do they have a lot of high end $4k Gibsons?
-Is there any competition in your area? I know in my relatively small country (16k sq miles) there are 5 to 10 professional builders. Some have been around for decades and have built up a good amount of regular customers. People tend to pay more if the name suggests quality. Look at Gibson, BMW, Rolex etc. A big name also means better resale value (a Gibson will always fetch relatively more than some unknown custom second hand).
-How many guitars would you need to sell to run even? If you make $300 a guitar and you both need to make at least, say, 2k a month, you'd need to sell 12 (using 30 hours/guitar as a benchmark) guitars per month. And that's not taking into account any taxes, problems, promotions etc.
-Is it feasible to build that many guitars? How long does it take you to build a guitar? I'd say the average building puts in 20-40 hours of work per guitar. Especially since you are doing custom. That means you can't just CNC 20 tele bodies and be done with it. $12k a month revenue means $144k a year, which is unlikely in the first few years.
That's 360 average hours for 12 guitars, being 180 hours per person. That's 45 hour weeks, without promotion, selling, problems etc.
-How do you want to produce the guitars? Is your college okay with you running a semi-professional business from their workshop? If you have people working there 360 hours per month, I can imagine them getting ticked off.
-How much 'stock' do you need? We all know bulk is cheaper. 10 pounds of fret wire will be cheaper than buying lose fret wire for every guitar. BUT since you are doing custom people will be coming to you with demands that aren't exactly 'normal'. You will need to buy 10 pounds of every fret wire available. You will need to have a big stock room to store different wood types (having to order wood for every guitar you make will cost you $10 in shipping costs or $10 in fuel + time spent driving there). This stock room needs to be at a certain humidity/temperature in order to prevent the wood from deteriorating. Having to rent a place for this will add to the bill. There's like a hundred different types of pick ups, so it won't be feasible to keep them all in stock, let alone buy them bulk (with the exception of very good sellers like EMGs etc., but the bulk advantage will be less, since they are such good sellers).

I think it's wonderful that you want to make a business. Especially if you manage to incorporate one of your passions.
I've had several companies of my own, some very succesful. But before I started I always made sure it wouldn't turn out to be a nightmare. Can you handle to lose 5k, or will you get in debt? Of course there's the economic problems, so people tend to spend less on luxury goods. Keep that into in account, even if you only plan to start in 2 years.
Please don't think I am trying to ruin your plan, I am trying to help. If you need advice feel free to PM me. Do note I am not American, so I have no knowledge of US taxes and company law.

Quote by SPBY
My friend and i are planning on taking about $5000 and starting up a custom guitar semi-business out of our college. We're both majors in design, and the woodshop at our college has lazer cutting tools along with all the other tools we would need to build guitars.

Major companies that have streamlined guitar making facilities sell their guitars for about 200% of what it cost in materials and labor. We would be making all custom guitars and selling for about 50% profit on materials to keep things cheap. i.e. we'd probably sell a custom superstrat with blackouts for around $1k or so (maybe a little more, maybe a little less) We'd probably just be selling to kids in the college for a start, lots of kids there play guitar.

We will be starting up this master plan and ready to sell in about a year or two.

My question to all of you is: how willing would you be to buy a custom guitar for around $1-1.5k, made to your exact specifications, setup to your specific tuning/string gauge, with follow up pictures every step of the way.
Last edited by Parad at Jul 13, 2009,
Ok, so after reading everyone's text walls, I have decided to just answer your question.

Yes i would pay $1000-$1500 for a guitar built to my EXACT specifications.
Just so you know, using college tools for a private business is not a good idea.

Check the rules at your particular college, but from what I've seen it's a terms of use violation across the board.
I agree with what Parad said about thinking through it more. I know you said that you haven't shared your whole business plan and have it thought all the way through, but when I started my business (web design) I thought the same thing. I ran into all kinds of issues that I could have had solutions to before they came up if I had thought a little bit more or asked myself more questions and wasn't caught up in the excitement.

Don't get me wrong I am 100% supporting you and your partner in this and if you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me. Marketing via the Internet would benefit you a lot. If you want a website for this I can help you with that. That goes for anyone else in here with this kind of idea. Hit me up with a message if you want/need an "liaison to the Internet."

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
February 10, 1981 - December 28, 2009

My YouTube account:
Savage Redemption

My personal gear:
Schecter Omen-6

Questions? IM me (check my profile)

Just call me Zach
Friend Me!
Quote by SPBY
... the woodshop at our college has lazer cutting tools along with all the other tools we would need to build guitars.
Do you mean laser, or is Lazer the brand? Laser cutting would be inappropriate for wood.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I think you are getting ahead of yourself. Build a few guitars and see if you like it. Then build a few more and find out if you are any good. After you know you are doing something you like and you know you are good at it then you can start thinking about a business. What you are looking at doing is much more difficult that it should be because you have to fight with the big shots and you have to deal with marketing and hype. It doesn't matter how much your product is worth, if nobody knows who you are then they won't pay for it! You are going to have several years where you lose thousands before you start breaking even and then you have to work even longer before you tern a profit. That is why most luthiers do it in the free time!

Just don't jump into it too fast is all I'm saying. Go slow and make sure it's worth the investment then build a name and after that look at starting a company.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Roc8995
Just so you know, using college tools for a private business is not a good idea.

Check the rules at your particular college, but from what I've seen it's a terms of use violation across the board.

Out of all the other problems, which mostly just address your lack of guitar building experience (which can definitely be overcome), this is your deal breaker.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Page 1 of 2