Alright,
I've been saving up some cash as of late, will have around $1500 AUD within the next 2 weeks. Knowing the quality of my current Amp, I've decided I'm in dire need of an upgrade. I've managed to break my decision down to 3 Amps.
- Traynor YCV40
- Vox AC30
- Laney VC30

The kind of sound I'm aiming for, is a kind of vintage-modern sound?
Sparkling, space-like cleans that would work for ambient post-rocky music. Comparable to the sound of U2's Edge.
On the other hand, I'm trying to find something with a unique, ugly drive sound to it.
I'm not sure whether my descriptions are at all clear. Any recommendations or personal experience would be really appreciated though.

Also, would these amps take well to effects pedals?
I would be using quite a few with whichever I buy.

Cheers, Adam.
Not a huge fan of bees
Quote by Gelato
Alright,
I've been saving up some cash as of late, will have around $1500 AUD within the next 2 weeks. Knowing the quality of my current Amp, I've decided I'm in dire need of an upgrade. I've managed to break my decision down to 3 Amps.
- Traynor YCV40
- Vox AC30
- Laney VC30

The kind of sound I'm aiming for, is a kind of vintage-modern sound?
Sparkling, space-like cleans that would work for ambient post-rocky music. Comparable to the sound of U2's Edge.
On the other hand, I'm trying to find something with a unique, ugly drive sound to it.
I'm not sure whether my descriptions are at all clear. Any recommendations or personal experience would be really appreciated though.

Also, would these amps take well to effects pedals?
I would be using quite a few with whichever I buy.

Cheers, Adam.

I have NOT used any of the above amps, but if I am correct, doesn't The Edge use AC30's?
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
I'm pretty sure he does, yeah. All the same I have to wonder if there may be more to his sound than the AC30.
Not a huge fan of bees
Eats them for Breakfast?
I'm not entirely sure whether that is to say it takes them well, or badly?
In a perfect world, I'd try all these amps out; but that isn't really an option where I live.
Not a huge fan of bees
i may not be an edge fan, but i am an AC30 fan! perfect amp for the sparkly/trebly clean tone you are looking for, and used by the edge!

however it has no dirt channel, just goes as far as a bit of crunch, so if you want a clean and crunch in the same song live, you'll need an overdrive, and for a real dirt channel a fuzz or distortion perhaps? ive been contemplating doing that but now i got my blackstar i use that for higher gain

edit: and the AC30 works great with pedals! i love using a bit of delay or phaser!
Last edited by jaybals at Jul 12, 2009,
So today I got the chance to try out a Fender Blues Deluxe 40 Watter,
It was, with my limited experience with Valve amps, amazing. It was explained to me that it did have amazing cleans, but that the drive channel was nothing to be too excited about, which was to be expected with a Fender. Does anyone have much experience with this amp, how it takes to pedals, reliability issues?

Cheers, Adam,
Not a huge fan of bees