Hey

how come those natural harmonics (i think) the ones where you just hold your finger on the string. how come they only work at the 5th, 7th, and 12th fret. and if you put a capo on, they will still only work 5, 7, and 12 frets from the capo.

whatsup with that? scientific reason?
They don't just work there; they're just strongest there.

You've got the major 3rd at the 9th fret, for instance.
Quote by blue_strat
They don't just work there; they're just strongest there.

You've got the major 3rd at the 9th fret, for instance.

hmm ok, but is there any reason they work there better than other spots:

like how come one fret away at the sixth it basically does nothing
you can get harmonics all over the fretboard.

don't believe me? turn up the distortion and pick the lowest string as fast as you can while running a finger along it from the bridge to the nut.
Quote by Babbs
you can get harmonics all over the fretboard.

don't believe me? turn up the distortion and pick the lowest string as fast as you can while running a finger along it from the bridge to the nut.

yeah that's basically just fuzz and noise though, hardly harmonics.

and thanks to that earlier guy that linked me to a video, explained it a bit
I beleive that its all math like how fret spacing works like 12th is half way from nut to 12th and if your guitar has 24 frets theres one there thats half way from the 12 fret.

Correct me if im wrong.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
When picked, a guitar string produces a standing wave. The points at the 12th, 5th etc are the nodes of that wave...
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by sum_41_1942
yeah that's basically just fuzz and noise though, hardly harmonics.

and thanks to that earlier guy that linked me to a video, explained it a bit

Hmmm....no.

If you can alternate pick fast enough and slide your finger from the 2nd or 3rd fret down to the 12th fret you'll clearly hear the notes as you slide down. You just need a lot of gain or you need to practice getting ALL the harmonics out on every fret.

I was told by one of my teachers that this was something Van Halen popularized but Jim Root does a lot of "harmonic sliding" especially live.
There's another spot around the 15th or 18th fret too I believe.
Prog flavored juice ... You tried it yet?

Shameless plot to promote zee band.
Shed 31