I get a feeling that this may go in Riffs & Recordings, but I personally felt it made more sense here since it's more directed at the amp end than the recording end I think.

Anyway, basically, due to being a low-end business laptop the soundcard in my laptop is high-latency and produces a lag on recordings. Attempts to fix this post-recording have been greeted with it not being of a consistent time and therefore incredibly difficult to the point of removing the fun from playing and recording.

So I've been looking into alternatives to eliminate this. Being in a financial bind I can't afford much, but a friend with the same laptop claims not to get lag using his with a Line 6 TonePort. I don't have $100 free to buy a TonePort, but I don't have $100 lying around with which to buy even the lowest-end TonePort.

I do have $40 or so lying around with which to buy a guitar-to-USB cable. This kills the liveliness of a tube amp's tone though, which I prize, so I got an odd idea after connecting my amp to a 412 earlier today at band practice. Could I disconnect the speaker from the head, and connect one of these to the amp head as a sort of line out to get the tube tone I prize while still eliminating the lag?(Speaking of which, would this eliminate the lag or would it still be killed by my soundcard?)
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
yes, you can do it, but it wouldn't sound as nice as you wanted.. part of the nice amp sound comes from the speakers, if you just take the signal without it going through speakers, it might sound a bit crappy :S

about latency.. did you try asio4all?
I'm really confused about what you want to accomplish here.

First, when you say lag, do you mean when actively monitoring the recording or what? I'm a bit confused here.

Second, what are you trying to do with the pod? The BJr has no line out so you'd have to run it in front of the amp which I'm not sure accomplishes anything.

Third, how are you recording right now? We need to know what program, what equipment. What kind of OS does your computer run, what hardware does it have?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Ibbod0
yes, you can do it, but it wouldn't sound as nice as you wanted.. part of the nice amp sound comes from the speakers, if you just take the signal without it going through speakers, it might sound a bit crappy :S

about latency.. did you try asio4all?

True...that could be problematic.

Never heard of it. Link?

Quote by Kevin Saale
First, when you say lag, do you mean when actively monitoring the recording or what? I'm a bit confused here.

I record in-sync, on-beat. When I play it back my guitar track is behind everything else on the track. Same problem with vocals.

Second, what are you trying to do with the pod? The BJr has no line out so you'd have to run it in front of the amp which I'm not sure accomplishes anything.

Eliminate the aforementioned lag.

Third, how are you recording right now? We need to know what program, what equipment. What kind of OS does your computer run, what hardware does it have?

Guitar -> Distortion of some sort -> Wah occasionally -> Cheap $25 mic I got from Radioshack because I'm poor -> USB port on computer -> Generic soundcard meant just to output sound and be cheap installed in a Lenovo R61i Thinkpad laptop with XP Pro SP2 -> Sony Acid Studio 7. Being a laptop I can't swap it either.(Don't tell me to open my laptop to replace it; when I did that on my last laptop, when everything went back together my screen was dead, my fan was louder than before(And actually shot out fire that one time, which since nothing got damaged, in retrospect was kind of cool, but still), I needed a new wireless antenna, and it died within a year.

Sounds like the computer. You might be able to get away with some sort of interface. Run the mic into that then into the computer.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Sounds like the computer. You might be able to get away with some sort of interface. Run the mic into that then into the computer.

Suppose I'll save for the Pod my friend has that he says eliminates the lag then. Much appreciated.

Quote by necrosis1193
I do have $40 or so lying around with which to buy a guitar-to-USB cable. This kills the liveliness of a tube amp's tone though, which I prize, so I got an odd idea after connecting my amp to a 412 earlier today at band practice. Could I disconnect the speaker from the head, and connect one of these to the amp head as a sort of line out to get the tube tone I prize while still eliminating the lag?(Speaking of which, would this eliminate the lag or would it still be killed by my soundcard?)

Bye-bye, Blues Junior

Never connect the output of an amp to anything other than a speaker of the correct impedance. Unless you've got $300 to spare for a new set of output transformers.

Either use the guitar-to-usb cable with your guitar (honestly, some of the modelling software out there now is incredible, will probably get better results than your Blues Jr), or buy a USB mic/interface and mic up your amp.
Quote by kyle62
Bye-bye, Blues Junior

Never connect the output of an amp to anything other than a speaker of the correct impedance. Unless you've got $300 to spare for a new set of output transformers.

Either use the guitar-to-usb cable with your guitar (honestly, some of the modelling software out there now is incredible, will probably get better results than your Blues Jr), or buy a USB mic/interface and mic up your amp.

It only has one output transformer, and you can get a better transformer than the stock one for 100 bucks, but you are right, run the amp without and a load and it's gone.