Hey everyone,

I'm a regular gigging guitarist in a rock/blues band
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top in Cherry Sunburst and I've been contemplating on trading it in for an Epiphone 1966 G-400 in Cherry
I love my Les Paul, but it has a very very very dark tone with no treble at all
I play through a Fender Blues Junior with an Ibanez TS-9,Boss DS-1,and MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Even when I have the treble and tone controls cranked the tone is still very dark and lacking in high's
I know that SG's have a brighter tone, and I love SG's always have
I'm only 14 and I don't have a huge budget so I would have to trade in my les paul for the SG
In terms of what i'm looking for which would be a blues/rock guitar with more bite

Would the SG be the better choice in this?

Thanks Alot,

awesomegear16

TOMS RIG
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Black
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Sunburst
Ibanez TS-9
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Line 6 Echo Park
MXR ZW-44
MXR Phase 90
Boss PS-5
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 cab
with the blues deluxe i cannot see how you can't get treble out of it. fenders are known for their bright cleans. have you considered a treble booster or something?
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
get a boss blues driver and turn up the tone and volume. cheaper to try and see if it works. get a used if possible, cheaper and they work well.thats my opnion at least, i play a les paul studio through it and am happy with the bite/edge i get.
I'm partial to Les Pauls, that lack of treble you're talking about is just an abundance of badass mid and ass end. If that's not what you want, and you say you love your Les Paul....then save up and buy and EQ. MXR has a 10 band EQ for like $100. Just play around with the left half keeping it around the middle and pump the right side for a treble boost, but don't go overboard or you'll sound wayyy too tinny.
Quote by Led Zeppelin 67
with the blues deluxe i cannot see how you can't get treble out of it. fenders are known for their bright cleans. have you considered a treble booster or something?

this or turn down your bass and mids.
it's actually the opposite (usually) an SG is light, so it's bass-ier and darker. an LP is heavier so it's brighter in sound. it might be the pickups you've got in the guitar, or a wiring thing that's draining the treble, but switching to an SG shouldn't give you a brighter sound.

think about it this way, maple is a heavier wood so it's brighter in sound. basswood is lighter, so it's got a more midrange-y and bass-y sound.
I have never been a big fan of the les paul, I could only get a very "boxy" tone out of them. By boxy, I mean with no brightness and sounds very little, kinda hard to describe, But I do Like the Sg it is very versatile. Listen angus Playing on the intro for rock and roll aint noise pollution and then on for those about to rock.
If a Les Paul is too dark for you, an SG isn't gonna help that much. I mean, it's brighter, but not like a huge amount of brightness.

EDIT:
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
think about it this way, maple is a heavier wood so it's brighter in sound. basswood is lighter, so it's got a more midrange-y and bass-y sound.

Hmmm... Mahogany's fairly heavy, and that's a dark sounding wood, rosewood's really heavy and that's dark sounding as well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Jul 12, 2009,
the pickups inepiphone les pauls tend to sound muddy and not very good or at least i found that when i used them for recording once
perhaps a change of pickups
or like said before a nice rangemaster clone treble booster haha
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Aye, you might want to give building your own Treble Booster a shot - it's quite simple, actually.

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/rangemaster.php

I would reccomend a change of pickups though. Guitarfetish has some nice ones for the price. Maybe a Vintage 59?
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Keep your Epi Lester. They are good solid guitars.Either change the pups,get some SD's off E bay. One at a time if you don't have much money. I use SD Alnico 2 Pros or you could try P90 sized humbuckers. If you really want a brighter tone ,buy a Tele. If you realy want a SG, sell/trade your Epi and save a bit of cash for a Gibson, maybe a special or faded. You'll be glad every time you look at the headstock. A cheap option is to change the pots.
Last edited by marantz1300 at Jul 12, 2009,