Snagged it in mint condition + the footswitch for only 150$
The tone is kind of dull though. Gain is a tad bit muddy for my taste.
Anybody have any experience with an XXL know how to make it sound better?

I'm craving a tight high gain tone, very articulate; sort of like an ENGL Blackmore.

Would swapping the speakers help? If so what speakers? (i play mainly mid scooped, high gain thrash)

A (budget) distortion pedal perhaps? Any recommendations? I've never really used pedals before so i wouldn't know what to get.

Or should i just try to resell it for more and get myself a different used amp?
How much do you think I could sell it for?
For thrash you'll wanna back off the gain a tad, turn up the highs, drop the mids and mix bass to taste.
Is that a tube amp? If not, I can see your problem, high gain solid state amps get muddy.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I think its a solid state. Good you only payed 150 for it. Didn't you try it before you bought it?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Its SS, maybe buy an OD to tighten up the distortion? lol
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Keep it for now.
What kind of speaker does it have.
Yes it is ss
An OD pedal, like a digitech bad monkey, might help but only to level boost, maybe slight gain.
Don't try a disti pedal.
What guitar do you have?
You should be able to dial some stuff in man.............before giving up. Otherwise, I have 6 step program
jesus UG, don't joke around just because it's solid state. the XXL is a great high gain amp. i can't understand why you can't get it tight enough. is the resonance switch on "loose"? try backing the gain off, i remember my favorite setting was ultra channel on modern or crunch, with the gain around 7 for crunch at 4.5 for modern. also, for the EQ, just do the old fashion way, start with everything at noon and go for it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
These amps are actually really flexible with all the voicing switches and eq's.
I would lower the gain a bit and slam the front end with an od pedal.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION