Hey, i have the choice between classic 50 or vk 112, and was wondering if those who possess/ed said amplifiers could weigh in with their opinions as to which they liked. for reference i play mainly blues, rock, and metal. i know ill get nice cleans from both and i like the classic rock crunch i get from the classic 50, but i also like the versatility of the vk 112. so opnions? ideas? and also, for those who know, if i get the classic, would a boss ml-2 pedal give me good metal-y distortion through that amp?
The classic 50 will be very heavy. However will sound better than the VK. Don't use that distortion pedal through either of them. Sell it and buy a cheap OD and boost the amps distortion. Will sound much better.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
The classic 50 will be very heavy. However will sound better than the VK. Don't use that distortion pedal through either of them. Sell it and buy a cheap OD and boost the amps distortion. Will sound much better.

i assume something like a blues driver would not be useful for that? i own those two pedals, so im trying to satisfy whatever i need utilizing my present two pedals as much as possible. also, will your recommendation supply with the crushing metal tones that are the reasons i bought the ml2?
The MT-2 sucks, trust me. Unless you have it modded, it's one of the worst distortion pedals on the market, you don't want that thing killing your tone through either of those amps. The Blues Driver could probably work though, I've never tried one myself, but I'm assuming it's an Overdrive-type pedal. Set the gain to 0 and volume to max, run in front of distortion channel.

IMO, the Classic is a MUCH better sounding amp than the Valveking; however, depending on which of those genres you play the most, I might suggest the VK, just because 4x10s with guitar aren't generally that great for modern metal stuff. For Blues and Rock, they should sound great, but they don't necessarily excel with high gain.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Unmodded VK is prolly the worst amp I've ever played on (and that include Solid State amps as well)
Quote by MatrixClaw
The MT-2 sucks, trust me. Unless you have it modded, it's one of the worst distortion pedals on the market, you don't want that thing killing your tone through either of those amps. The Blues Driver could probably work though, I've never tried one myself, but I'm assuming it's an Overdrive-type pedal. Set the gain to 0 and volume to max, run in front of distortion channel.

what i have is the ml-2, the metal core. i have tried the mt-2 and i agree, it does suck, but i do like the metal core. your opinion on that?
the blues driver is an OD pedal, and it works admirably on my mg50 to give me tube-ish cleans and bluesy crunch. i did not know it would work like that on the distortion channel. i assume you mean 0 on gain of the pedal itself right? oh i see, it would just be pushing the amp further in overdrive right? by maximizing the signal?

would i be able to do stuff like artificial harmonics and other requisite metal-ly tone dealies on the classic?
Quote by masterp666
what i have is the ml-2, the metal core. i have tried the mt-2 and i agree, it does suck, but i do like the metal core. your opinion on that?
the blues driver is an OD pedal, and it works admirably on my mg50 to give me tube-ish cleans and bluesy crunch. i did not know it would work like that on the distortion channel. i assume you mean 0 on gain of the pedal itself right? oh i see, it would just be pushing the amp further in overdrive right? by maximizing the signal?

would i be able to do stuff like artificial harmonics and other requisite metal-ly tone dealies on the classic?

Oh, sorry, was late and I didn't read your post right The ML-2 is barely any better though.

Yes, that's exactly what you'd be doing with the pedal, it will also tighten up the bass response a bit.

Artificial harmonics are all in your technique. You should be able to do them acoustically, the amp may bring the sound out a bit, but if you can't get them to work on a certain amp, it's your technique, not the amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
first, distortion pedals on tube amps are fine. not sure where people are getting the idea that it isnt. second, overdrive pedals arent going to super max out the distortion on your sound or anything. gain down and level up on these pedals will push the amp harder, but its not going to go from classic rock to modern metal (though it will go from classic rock to some older metal).

honestly, i would say get the classic 50. i feel like the classic series are built more solidly than the VK and sound better. wont get modern metal out of the classic, but you can get some decent metal tones from the thing with a good overdrive pedal and turning the gain up. the VK is proabably going to do metal better (especially with some tube and speaker changes) but the classic is going to do the blues and a lot of the other rock better IMO.
Quote by jof1029
first, distortion pedals on tube amps are fine. not sure where people are getting the idea that it isnt. second, overdrive pedals arent going to super max out the distortion on your sound or anything. gain down and level up on these pedals will push the amp harder, but its not going to go from classic rock to modern metal (though it will go from classic rock to some older metal).

honestly, i would say get the classic 50. i feel like the classic series are built more solidly than the VK and sound better. wont get modern metal out of the classic, but you can get some decent metal tones from the thing with a good overdrive pedal and turning the gain up. the VK is proabably going to do metal better (especially with some tube and speaker changes) but the classic is going to do the blues and a lot of the other rock better IMO.

IMO opinion, using a distortion pedal kinda defeats the purpose of tube tone. Then again so does OD pedals.

However. When you use a dist, you really lose alot of tone but when you use an OD you keep the majority of your tube tone.

If you get the valve king, you'll need an EQ. A speaker and tube change will greatly make it sound better too.

The blues driver will be fine.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
^ im not talking something like a boss metalzone here, im talking high quality distortion pedals. ones that have nice tone on their own. something like a modded ds-1 or old school muff is going to sound nice through a good amp. not the same sound as tube amp distortion, but still a good sound none the less. you only lose tone with pedals if the pedals dont have good tone to start with. you just end up with a different tone than if you were using the amp itself, which is the exact point of using pedals to start with.
Why don't you get a Peavey Classic 50 2x12?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I much prefer the tones of a Peavey Classic over a Valveking. The Classic has a very unique combination of American and British voicing. It is typically American in it's tone, but has that hair-line crunch that amps like the Laney VC has. Which contradicts the American way of slightly scooping the mids and adding bass. Because of that it is a very well balanced amplifier.

The Valveking is sterile and weak sounding. It tries to mimick the epic qualities of their higher end amps like the XXX and the 6505 but fails. It, of course, did not want to have as much gain, but it felt to me like the Valveking was trying to be aggressive and deep, but actually ended up being diluted and unimpressive.
It has more compressed, unatural preamp gain than the Classic series, but because of that, I don't like it.
The Classic series may need a tubescreamer or a subtle overdrive pedal to boost into tighter, high-gain territory. But that is all up to your preferences.
Quote by jof1029

No one said a distortion pedal won't sound good through either amp, we just said that distortion pedal won't sound good through it

My Classic 30 had enough gain for me to play metal on it, stock, I hear the 50s have even more gain. It didn't really have the big lowend and saturation of something specifically made for high gain tones, definitely an acquired taste for that tone, but with an OD, it really beefed it up.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
My Classic 30 had enough gain for me to play metal on it, stock, I hear the 50s have even more gain. It didn't really have the big lowend and saturation of something specifically made for high gain tones, definitely an acquired taste for that tone, but with an OD, it really beefed it up.
best way to describe the Classic series.
I'd take a Classic over a VK any day of the week.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by MatrixClaw
No one said a distortion pedal won't sound good through either amp, we just said that distortion pedal won't sound good through it

yeah, no one in this thread did. i guess i was mostly pointing it out since people only recomended he use an od instead of distortion. just kinda a premptive thing i guess. which of course then resulted in the post after mine, which is exactly what i was trying to aviod. oh well, i guess thats irony for ya

but i do agree, the classics can do metal ok but are not really aimed towards it. can pull some metal off, but its more for stuff thats not uber high gain. as you said, missing the low end and not really saturated enough.
Yeah an old school muff would sound great though any tube amp.

But I like using tube distortion rather than from an od or a distortion.

If you like your Distortion pedal on the clean better than and OD boost, then go for it. What ever sounds better to you. But if you like the boss, then try out some different ones like a metal muff as well.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ