ALRIGHTY! so my uncle gave me these subs for when i get a car here real soon. they are Hi Fonics 12 inch subwoofers. HF1254 (model no.?) anyways. havent got a box for em yet. but they feel and look like some high quality ****.

http://www.hifonicsusa.com/hifonics2008/subs_zeusHF.html
^^^ the circular one.

their pretty damn heavy too. id say 10 pounds? (idk if thats good or not lol)

anywho. anybody own/used/heard these before? im really curious to know what they sound like. according to my uncle, their fcking bad as hell. but i dont wanna go just off his opinion and idk when im gunna be able to use em. maybe not for another two three weeks. anyone own?
Quote by captaincrunk
The make the lower sounds of the music.
Do you already have an amp?

thank you sir, already know that tho. was curious about THESE PARTICULAR SUBS. gettin a 1000w amp.
Quote by iantheman
I've got one on my computer. No joke.

i have a electronic chair that i am currently sittin in that has an 8inch sub in the back lol

EDIT: wait... u have THIS SUB on your computer? or just A sub?
Quote by codynw42
thank you sir, already know that tho. was curious about THESE PARTICULAR SUBS. gettin a 1000w amp.

Duh?

RMS or max wattage on the amp? What brand? The amp is what "makes" the sound, so shell out as much cash as you can.

EDIT: Also, is it stable at 1 ohm?
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by captaincrunk
Duh?

RMS or max wattage on the amp? What brand? The amp is what "makes" the sound, so shell out as much cash as you can.

once again the uncle comes into play. he forget to bring the amp ove. its the same one he used for these subs. 1000rms 1500max i believe. not sure what brand

EDIT: this is what the website says: Dual 4-Ohm Voice-Coils.
For 2-Ohm and 8-Ohm Applications. click the link and go to the bottom. has all specs
Last edited by codynw42 at Jul 12, 2009,
You have subwoofers but don't know what they sound like? Sounds like some research is needed.

Those subs are alright but only 700w power handling is a little low. You can't buy a 1000w amp for those speakers, read the specs....

Well, yes, I have two 12in 1200w handling subs in the backseat of my truck, they're in a sealed cab.

I have them set to do 20-80hz with a boost at 60. Sounds great for rock, kickdrums sound amazing, and rap sounds really nice. But the cab I have them in isn't the best.

You won't wont them doing more than 100hz. All these speakers do will be the lowest of the low notes in your system to balance it out.

By the lowest notes, I mean the kickdrum, in rock, bass guitar work, and most rap beats. You're going to need a $300+ amplifier, not above 700w rating on your speaker.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by codynw42
once again the uncle comes into play. he forget to bring the amp ove. its the same one he used for these subs. 1000rms 1500max i believe. not sure what brand

1000 watts of RMS is more than the suggested RMS of these subs, so be careful with the gain control on the amp, because you can get good volume without tearing up your spiders.

This line of subs is pretty midrange, but with subs, you can almost always guarantee an increase in the quality of your music, simply because you get the bass you were lacking. I'd say this is a good starter set, and with that powerful of an amp, you might sell these subs down the road for some 500 watt subs.

EDIT

Quote by SlinkyBlue

By the lowest notes, I mean the kickdrum, in rock, bass guitar work, and most rap beats. You're going to need a $300+ amplifier, not above 700w rating on your speaker.

Not true, you can lower the gain. Less volume means less output, which means if he sets it up right he wont harm the speakers.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
You have subwoofers but don't know what they sound like? Sounds like some research is needed.

Those subs are alright but only 700w power handling is a little low. You can't buy a 1000w amp for those speakers, read the specs....

Well, yes, I have two 12in 1200w handling subs in the backseat of my truck, they're in a sealed cab.

I have them set to do 20-80hz with a boost at 60. Sounds great for rock, kickdrums sound amazing, and rap sounds really nice. But the cab I have them in isn't the best.

You won't wont them doing more than 100hz. All these speakers do will be the lowest of the low notes in your system to balance it out.

so no 1000rms amp? bad idear?

EDIT: oops oops oops. just kinda skimmed theu your post. didnt really see the "no 1000w amp" part..... LULZ
Last edited by codynw42 at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by codynw42
so no 1000rms amp? bad idear?

You'll be fine. Just set the gain correctly, and if you dont know how let a shop install it for you. Nothing bad will happen. I assume it's stable at 1 ohm?

EDIT:

I have a 1500 rms amp hooked to 4 12 inch subs that can handle 400 rms, in a vented box. My amplifier is underrated, and max burps at 3200, so its closer to 1600 watts.

That same amp was hooked up to a pair of twelves that are only 200 watts a piece for over 6 months, with no harm to the subs.

Just make sure your gain levels are safe, and you wont harm the subs.
Quote by captaincrunk
1000 watts of RMS is more than the suggested RMS of these subs, so be careful with the gain control on the amp, because you can get good volume without tearing up your spiders.

This line of subs is pretty midrange, but with subs, you can almost always guarantee an increase in the quality of your music, simply because you get the bass you were lacking. I'd say this is a good starter set, and with that powerful of an amp, you might sell these subs down the road for some 500 watt subs.

EDIT

Not true, you can lower the gain. Less volume means less output, which means if he sets it up right he wont harm the speakers.

yeah all im looking for is the bass really. love playin the rap songs and hearing/feeling the bass.
Quote by captaincrunk

EDIT

Yes, but that's playing with fire. You're always going to want to turn it up more, and it is possible to blow your speakers with that amp.

If I were to give him advice, I would say to not buy an amplifier that exceeds the power handling on your speakers, in order to feel 100% comfortable that your speakers will not pop when messing with the gain and EQ on the amplifier.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by captaincrunk
You'll be fine. Just set the gain correctly, and if you dont know how let a shop install it for you. Nothing bad will happen. I assume it's stable at 1 ohm?

lol your asking the wrong person (unfortunately so) is it on the specs on the link?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Yes, but that's playing with fire. You're always going to want to turn it up more, and it is possible to blow your speakers with that amp.

If I were to give him advice, I would say to not buy an amplifier that exceeds the power handling on your speakers, in order to feel 100% comfortable that your speakers will not pop when messing with the gain and EQ on the amplifier.

That's why you dont mess with the amp's EQ once it's set. I used to work in this business, and the only time I ever see something go wrong in this situation is when someone does something really stupid, like putting the "bass boost" on the amp to +18 decibels, as if that makes the music sound better.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

any suggestions on what amp and box to get for these specific subs then?
Quote by captaincrunk
That's why you dont mess with the amp's EQ once it's set. I used to work in this business, and the only time I ever see something go wrong in this situation is when someone does something really stupid, like putting the "bass boost" on the amp to +18 decibels, as if that makes the music sound better.

This is true, if you're careful nothing is going to go wrong.

But let's be honest. TS is a noob. He is likely to make a mistake, which is why I brought this up.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
This is true, if you're careful nothing is going to go wrong.

But let's be honest. TS is a noob. He is likely to make a mistake, which is why I brought this up.

His uncle seems to know a bit though, and I'm hoping he can do the install for him lol.

Besides, amps are expensive, and these subs are free. Might as well not let a good thing go to waste!
Quote by codynw42
any suggestions on what amp and box to get for these specific subs then?

Subs are not that specific man. Not at all.

But, if you want to be that guy that people can hear from across the block and it's STILL extremely loud, look into a tuned, ported box. They are tuned for the low, common frequencies to resound out in the box and multiply the volume of the bass many times over. But the negative part of that is that the response of the system will be much lower; a particular frequency will be very loud, the rest will be kind of quiet.

Go for a small, sealed box for versatility and quality. The response will be a lot more even throughout, but you won't get that super-loud response at the low frequencies that the tuned cabs get.

In short:
Tuned/Ported cab for loud rap, rumbly.
Sealed cab for accuracy and flat, accurate response, more punchy.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
In short:
Tuned/Ported cab for loud rap, rumbly.
Sealed cab for accuracy and flat, accurate response, more punchy.

Vented cabs FTW!

Although once you get to four subs, loudness is really no longer a question, haha
Here's a pic of my two kenwoods i took with my phone. It's in the backseat of my chevy

I love them, they're real fun. They sound pristine for all kinds of music

I know that alot of people want to hear subs across the friggen state; but I live by the creed "You shouldn't notice your subwoofers until you turn them off" to balance out my mix.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by captaincrunk
No, because I'm asking about the amp. That was not in the link at all.

ohhhh. yeah idk about the amp. dont have it yet
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I know that alot of people want to hear subs across the friggen state; but I live by the creed "You shouldn't notice your subwoofers until you turn them off" to balance out my mix.

The rest of my music is loud enough to balance it. I've got 6 speakers and two highs amps.

I rarely listen to my system at even 3/4ths volume, but the headroom is nice to have. or when a guy in a motorcycle is pissing me off.
Quote by captaincrunk
The rest of my music is loud enough to balance it. I've got 6 speakers and two highs amps.

I rarely listen to my system at even 3/4ths volume, but the headroom is nice to have. or when a guy in a motorcycle is pissing me off.

Quote by captaincrunk

LOL I feel you on that. I put more effort into my highs than my bass, to tell you the truth.

I've got some great volume on mine too. On the freeway when the windows are down, I play it as high as it can go without getting distortion (23 on my alpine deck, haha, higher if I don't have the highs boosted. I wonder if i can squeeze more out with my amp's gain, haven't tried.)

It feels damn loud. But then when the car is still, off and silent, I can't even get close to 1/2 of that volume without thinking it's WAY too loud haha. I definitely don't want to have hearing damage.

There's nothing like someone trying to show off their subwoofers when you turn up your highs and drown them out.
-Jim Morrison