OK, I got a violin as a gift, and I have NO clue whatsoever about this instrument, so maybe someone shed some light on a few things:

1. The tuning pegs are stiff as shit, especially for the G string. I can't turn them by hand, I have to use a guitar winder for leverage. It's impossible to tune with any accuracy. They're not supposed to be like that, are they? Do I have to oil them or something?

2. Is the bridge held in place string tension, or is it glued to the body? What about that tailpiece, whatever it's called?

3. The violin is small (smaller than a regular violin, which I read was size 4/4) how can I find out whether it's a size 3/4 or 1/2 or whatever?

4. Can I use some kind of substitute for the bow, or do I have to get an actual one? (I went to this music store, cheapest one was around 30 fucking euros)
Violin is ****ing hard! I got one before and tried to learn, to no avail Good luck my friend.

1. Yes they are supposed to be stiff, but not extremely unmovable.

2. The bridge is glued on, but the strings are what keeps it up mostly.

3. No idea

4. Try ebay, they go for cheap, and in bulk sometimes. Any bow will do at first, just make sure that it doesnt have any loose hairs, and every time you are done playing, loosen the strands so that the bow is very curved, to relieve tension
Last edited by insideac at Jul 12, 2009,
Best of luck with your newfound gift. It's one of the most difficult instruments to master. I suggest getting a tutor, and a bow while you're at it - unless if you're a diehard pizzicato performer.

Dont you also have to tune violins in 5ths instead of 4ths?-differently from a guitar
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!

Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
yeah, the tuning pegs can be really stiff...but they kind of have to be, or it will go out of tune, so if you really can't get it to turn, then I guess take it somewhere, or you could potentially break it

the bridge is glued to the body....
the tailpiece isn't, you can move it, from what I can remember, when the strings are slack, it's held on by the button on the bottom I think

As for size, you can't really tell, but if it's abnormally small, then you probably don't have a full. You can look around on the inside and maybe find a size though. I highly doubt it's a half, they're tiny
if it seems too small for you, then you probably have a 3/4

I think they make nylon bows or whatever that are cheaper (maybe not), but yeah, real bows are made of horse hair, so that's why they're expensive, and they have to hold the resin
regardless of what bow you get, be careful with it, they break fairly easily, and as you can tell, cost a lot

and yeah, people say it's really hard to play...I wouldn't really know since I started when I was like, 2, it's not hard to me, but yeah, i'd suggest lessons
Do you like Bagpipes?

Good for you

Quote by postmortem2006
Perfect metal stereotype;

If you have long hair, apparently your music goes RAGHHHHHRAGHRARGHRARGHHHHHHH.

Last edited by strings.of.fury at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by Zaphikh
Best of luck with your newfound gift. It's one of the most difficult instruments to master. I suggest getting a tutor, and a bow while you're at it - unless if you're a diehard pizzicato performer.

PIZZICATO!!!

I dunno why, but pizzicato has always been the violin version of palm muted shredding to me
Quote by CoreysMonster
PIZZICATO!!!

I dunno why, but pizzicato has always been the violin version of palm muted shredding to me

Pizzicato is basically a palm mute Classical guitarists palm mute, but they call it pizzicato
Quote by insideac

2. The bridge is glued on, but the strings are what keeps it up mostly.

no its held on only by the tension of the strings.

To tune any instrument without geared tuners, turn the peg and push firmly into it as it only stays with the friction from the other side.
One thing I have to point out is that the bridge is NOT glued to the body. Both the bridge and tailpiece are held in place purely by the tension of the strings.

EDIT: ^^ Beat me to it.

1. The tuning pegs are stiff as shit, especially for the G string. I can't turn them by hand, I have to use a guitar winder for leverage. It's impossible to tune with any accuracy. They're not supposed to be like that, are they? Do I have to oil them or something?I'm going to assume that your violin isn't given by a billionaire generous enough to select an expensive, mid end violin. If it's cheap, chances are the pegs and its materials are as well. But in general, the pegs rely on friction to stay in place. When adjusting or winding, simply pull the peg outward to ease the tension of friction. When done with adjustment, give a little push on the peg to make it tight against the scroll again.

2. Is the bridge held in place string tension, or is it glued to the body? What about that tailpiece, whatever it's called?
The bridge is held by string tension, NOT GLUE. The proper position for the bridge is in the dead center, aligning with the inner point of the f holes. It should be perpendicular to the body as well, and this is adjusted with tension on it. Tailpiece is pulled by string tension as well, and naturally falls into place.

3. The violin is small (smaller than a regular violin, which I read was size 4/4) how can I find out whether it's a size 3/4 or 1/2 or whatever?
I can eyeball it, but you're probably a full grown person and any size other than 4/4 is wrong for you.

4. Can I use some kind of substitute for the bow, or do I have to get an actual one? (I went to this music store, cheapest one was around 30 fucking euros)There's no substitute. You might as well just use the violin as a decor rather than a playing instrument. If you want to actually play, you need to invest in an acceptable bow (starting around $50-100) even if you're a beginner.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by CoreysMonster
PIZZICATO!!!

Like the Kerry King of violinists
Quote by Zaphikh

Definitely NOT one of the most difficult instruments to master! Check out the Theremin - even the harmonica is deceptively hard to play properly!