So, today me and my friend went to our favorite local guitar store and we tried out all the new stuff they got in, which was basically a Les Paul Recording, a used Mesa Lonestar Classic, a vintage 50s Champ, a Matamp something?, 80s Strat Reissues, a few 60s/70s Strats, a few new reissue Les Paul Specials, a few new Danelectros, some freshly built Fulton Webbs and a 50 watt vintage Hiwatt.

A few things:

What was surprising to both of us was how ridiculously bad the Les Paul Specials sounded (neither of us have played one before). The $200 plastic Danelectros were leaps and bounds above the LP Specials, especially through the Champ (which sounded incredible BTW). The Danelectros were warmer and had better sustain and feel than the LP Specials. We actually loved the Danelectros, especially for the price and if we were on a budget we would likely go for that.

The Lonestar is the first Classic I've played, i typically only get to try used Mesas and the ones I've played have all been Lonestar Specials. The Classic IMO is much better. It sounded fatter, especially on the 100 watt setting. That and the 80s reissue Strats were an absolutely beautiful pair. I didn't like the tone as much with humbuckers though, atleast at first. It took me longer to dial them in. It got an incredible SRV tone though and it was very hard to get a clean tone I didn't atleast like but the dirty channel was a bit trickier. It was $1195.

The Les Paul Recording had a ton of features (it also weighed a ton, I'm guessing around 15 lbs) but it sounded pretty muddy through most amps we played it through, especially the Lonestar. Those two just did not work together at all. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're going for something really unique. It was (I think) $1995.

The Fulton-Webbs are awesome amps. The EJ sigs are awesome, the 18 watt is awesome, etc. I didn't like their 2X12 with Greenbacks when paired with a 50 watt JCM800 though.

We played the vintage Champ next to a reissue and the Champ 600 and the difference was like night and day. The vintage one was much, much more articulate and the breakup was much sweeter. We didn't need to crank it up all the way to get its best tones either. The sweet spot was definitely that touch sensitive transition area between clean and dirty. Again, I felt it shined more with single coils. It was $1195.

Lastly, those 80s reissue Strats are just incredible. Most were $1500-$1750 depending on condition and IMO are a great value considering the price of the new ones which are extremely inferior IMO. They blew away all of the 70s Strats (which we thought sounded horrible) and were a bit better than a few of the 60s ones. They sounded incredible through everything, in particular the Champ, Lonestar and and Fulton-Webbs.

I can't comment on the Hiwatt or Matamp simply because I only got to spend a few minutes with each. The Matamp was ridiculously expensive, I think $3200 used.

EDIT: By the way, if you have a Marshall and are in Austin, I would recommend taking it to Bill Webb. My friend took his late 80s JCM800 2205 there and he did some mods to it and it sounded incredible after the mods.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 12, 2009,
Nice to know. Thanks. I've always wanted to have a go at some 80's strat reissues, especially a '62.
Quote by hunterman
Nice to know. Thanks. I've always wanted to have a go at some 80's strat reissues, especially a '62.

Unless the ones I played were all just gems ( I doubt it, there were 4), you won't be dissapointed. They were hands down the best value on an incredible sounding and feeling Strat I've ever seen. The 90s one they had there was actually really nice too, but since they only had 1 I don't know if it was just a gem.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

doesn't the les paul recording have low impedance pickups and need some kind of buffer to convert it to high impedance before it reaches the amp? les paul's own les paul has something very much like this. if this is the case then that would be why it sounded muddy.

danelectros are very good guitars which i rate highly for reasons i simply don't understand - i really don't know how the hell they manage it, they make guitars out of all kinds of plastic, pieces of scrap wood glued together, chipboard and plywood, and anything else they find on the floor, yet their guitars consistently deliver some great tones and offer very nice playability... it kinda questions the whole point of paying for an expensive high quality guitar crafted out of wood from the tree with the forbidden fruit in the garden of eden - do you really need to pay for quality when someone can be cheap-ass and make a guitar that does the job just as good as any?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
doesn't the les paul recording have low impedance pickups and need some kind of buffer to convert it to high impedance before it reaches the amp? les paul's own les paul has something very much like this. if this is the case then that would be why it sounded muddy.

danelectros are very good guitars which i rate highly for reasons i simply don't understand - i really don't know how the hell they manage it, they make guitars out of all kinds of plastic, pieces of scrap wood glued together, chipboard and plywood, and anything else they find on the floor, yet their guitars consistently deliver some great tones and offer very nice playability... it kinda questions the whole point of paying for an expensive high quality guitar crafted out of wood from the tree with the forbidden fruit in the garden of eden - do you really need to pay for quality when someone can be cheap-ass and make a guitar that does the job just as good as any?

It has a switch to go between lo and hi impedance settings. With the lo it didn't even work through most amps. And with all that (I would assume) active circuitry, a dying battery could have caused it. I didn't really examine it since I couldn't get it to sound that great. I agree with the second paragraph. I was completely baffled at how incredible they sounded for the price. They excelled at pretty much anything requiring up to moderate amounts of gain. And what was even weirder was that the one with the solid plastic neck sounded slightly nicer than the one with the wooden neck.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
It has a switch to go between lo and hi impedance settings. With the lo it didn't even work through most amps. And with all that (I would assume) active circuitry, a dying battery could have caused it. I didn't really examine it since I couldn't get it to sound that great. I agree with the second paragraph. I was completely baffled at how incredible they sounded for the price. They excelled at pretty much anything requiring up to moderate amounts of gain. And what was even weirder was that the one with the solid plastic neck sounded slightly nicer than the one with the wooden neck.

i'm guessing these are the new "dead on 67" models?
Rig Winter 2017:

Yeah, I just looked 'em up. The Agent Orange one looks damn sexy, IMO...I have may have to try these out.
Quote by mmolteratx
a Matamp something?, I can't comment on the Hiwatt or Matamp simply because I only got to spend a few minutes with each. The Matamp was ridiculously expensive, I think $3200 used.
You found a Matamp in America? Was it a local shop or a well-known branch?
Quote by al112987
they make a les paul special reissue? as in a double p-90, flat top all mahogany les paul?

how much was it? (I've wanted one ever since I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It3V5-mF1J4 )

the doublecut special is my dream guitar too. they did make one a while ago but i think it's discontinued my friend has one but he never lets people play it!
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by AngryGoldfish
You found a Matamp in America? Was it a local shop or a well-known branch?

It's this little store here called Austin Vintage Guitars. It's the place where Fulton-Webb makes their amps. They had a matching cab for it as well. It was an older one though. It had some switches I've never seen on any other amp which looked like replacements and it was in the currently unavailable Green Basketweave color.

Quote by al112987
they make a les paul special reissue? as in a double p-90, flat top all mahogany les paul?

how much was it? (I've wanted one ever since I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It3V5-mF1J4 )

It was one of these. They've been making them for while. It's $2800. It sounded absolutely horrible IMO and I would avoid it. They had 3 so I would assume almost all of them are like that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 12, 2009,
Idk, I really dig those... I like the way they sound, especially through a good vintage style Marshall or BF Fender, very similar to the video I posted. Different strokes for different folks I guess...
I'm not sure if the one in that video is a reissue. It looks like it would have to be vintage because the reissues have dot inlays and binding. It could have just been those ridiculously bad Gibson P-90s because the wood felt nice enough and I typically like the tone of a P-90 Gibson. They were just incredibly bright and thin sounding, even more so than the Strats and some of the Teles that I played.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

ha! i opened this thread half expecting to give you a "cool story bro," but it was infact a cool story. tell me more about this JCM 800 mod!!!
I don't know what he did but when it went in, it sounded pretty muddy/inarticulate, and it had some strange overtones. But when it came out it was just classic Marshall tone for days. I've never been a huge fan of the channel switching 800s but this one was just magic after what he did. It sounded much more organic and the articulation was much improved and the bass response was tighter. We compared it to some stock ones that were there and they couldn't touch it. And the best part was he got it for free because another friend has some hookups at the place.

But Bill Webb is an amplifier genius. He does custom work for Eric Johnson and a bunch of other local players, builds Fulton-Webb amplifiers, does repairs/mods and can modify practically any amp reissue to vintage spec. I played this one Silverface Twin that he rebuilt to Blackface specs and it sounded even better than some of the Blackfaces I've played.

If you want to see some of his stuff, check out Fulton-Webb amps and if you're ever in Austin, hit up Austin Vintage Guitars to go try out some of his stuff. He builds this boost pedal called the Textosterone, it sounds awesome. I
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
It's this little store here called Austin Vintage Guitars. It's the place where Fulton-Webb makes their amps. They had a matching cab for it as well. It was an older one though. It had some switches I've never seen on any other amp which looked like replacements and it was in the currently unavailable Green Basketweave color.
I'm pretty sure you can actually still get Green Basketweave directly from the factory. You have to ask for it specifically I assume. It's the way they work their business: through custom orders.
Was it second-hand?
I played a goofy as hell looking danelectro last weekend, very nice playing guitar. Blomp and mmt, I'm with you guys on that one.
Quote by mmolteratx
Bill Webb is an amplifier genius.

the name sounds SOOO familiar, but I can't place the face. I'm originally out of College Station, and I've been to AVG a few times. Isn't Durham based out of Austin, too?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I'm pretty sure you can actually still get Green Basketweave directly from the factory. You have to ask for it specifically I assume. It's the way they work their business: through custom orders.
Was it second-hand?

Yea, it was used. You normally can get the Green Basketweave but they're currently out of it.

EDIT: Yes, Durham is based out of Austin too. 4ms and Austone are based here as well. And about the mods, I'm not sure what he had done. He never told me what kind of work he asked for.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 14, 2009,