i was thinking of swapping out my neck for a 24 fret neck, now i know i'd have to redo the intonation but is it possible that the neck could be to long and you couldn't adjust the bridge enough? any basic advice on changing necks would help

ps my guitar is just a standard strat,
Why exactly?

The intonation wont have to change much because the neck needs to sit with the frets in exactly the same place due to the scale length.

the problem is that if you put a 21 fret guitar on a 24 fret guitar body it will look stupid, they wont be designed to be a drop in replacement and you will have a gap at the end of the neck where frets 22, 23 and 24 will be, infact because the 21 fret neck will probably be shorter (e.g. finishing at fret 21 not 24) there wont be a stable enough pocket between the body and the neck to keep the frets in exactly the same place.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
You'd have to giv up your neck pickup and have a quite long fretboard overhang... Unless you can find a luthier who's able to recalculate the scale length and make a custom bastard-scaled neck that'll fit.
absent mind... you got it backwards, i want to put a longer neck on. ok what would happen if i put a 24 fret neck on my 21 fret strat? no intonation? f*ck up?
Sorry my mistake, but like Pikka said, you would loose the neck pickup, the frets have to be in the same place as the old neck so the new frets would extend towards to bridge taking out the neck pup, but no major intonation issues if placed correctly.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^^He's just explaining it backwards to illustrate why there will be problems.
i actually made this mistake a while ago with a couple of bass necks. i'm still working on it now actually, but the original neck is a 24 fret length at a 34 in scale length. i bought the new neck and it is 20 frets at a 34 in scale length. now, if i were to use the 20 fret neck, there would not be enough room and i would have to run the bridge off the body to keep the 34 in scale. btw, the 24 neck was frettless. (perfering a fretted neck being the reason for the change)

and since you have a strat, you can't move the bridge, with all the routing and all. your best bet is to just get a different guitar with 24 frets. it's probably going to cost you about that much to get a fret board extension like that. and like pikka said, you'd probably loose your neck pup.