Page 1 of 2
Who here has a mental disorder/illness?

Are you receiving treatment?

Last few weeks i've been going through hell.
I have panic disorder , ADHD , possibly bi-polar , had a case of depression ...

The panic disorder causes me to freak out over stupid stuff . I tend to have self-destructive thoughts and have been suicidal , paranoid and restless all at the same time.
I've had to cancel a holiday due to developing a new serious phobia of planes which SUCKS>

I have a psychiatrist which is great, but i feel that talking about my paranoia / self-destructive thoughts and irrational fears , ONLY makes it WORSE.

I have been prescribed xanax and dolthepin (a common anti-depressant) i take neither of them . Somehow i feel better off anything and just keeping busy to keep my mind of stuff.
My anxiety (caused by fears and thoughts) causes me to puke and makes eating hard for me ... so i start freaking that i'll never eat again which only makes me puke more LOL!!

yeah im a mess , but some how i know that there will be bad days and terrible days , but i'll just live for the good days....

so this thread is just to discuss and share your issue and how you cope with it.

if you are on any med , what are you on? and do you find therapy helps or hurts?

EDIT:

Has anyone been checked into a mental hospital / institution / psych ward before?
how was the experience ? was it helpful?
Last edited by petrina_678 at Jul 12, 2009,
Wow, that sucks. I don't have any illnesses but my mum is a psychiatric nurse in The Priory. She meets famous people. She helps people with things like you have. Hope you get better.
Quote by petrina_678

I tend to have self-destructive thoughts and have been suicidal , paranoid and restless all at the same time.

if you are on any med , what are you on? and do you find therapy helps or hurts?

thats me in a nutshell

ive not been to the doctors about it though

Quote by nospacesallowed
Wow, that sucks. I don't have any illnesses but my mum is a psychiatric nurse in The Priory. She meets famous people. She helps people with things like you have. Hope you get better.

yeah it really does suck , being in a constant state of fear and not seeing good in ANYTHING. sigh , i know i'll get better ...
I've had a nervous breakdown this year-I'm pretty sure. I havnt gone to a psychologist yet but my mother and her friends are all telling me to go. i'm major depressed.
Since i've had to give up playing guitar ( my dream) ive gone from being an A student to failing everything completely-I have to repeat this year at university next year.
I get out of bed at like 12 everyday. I dont eat, I dont bother with my friends anymore, I dont do anything. I have no dreams/ambitions/goals.
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!

Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
That sucks man.I'm 16 and suffer from depression.Although its not severe(And I'm not an emo lol.)I can't give you any advice as your case sounds pretty hardcore but I just think to myself."Just grow up.Who cares whether your depressed or not.Just get the F**K on with it" bcause no one really gives a **** about me and I'm fine with it as long as I accept it.
Quote by Jacek.W
I've had a nervous breakdown this year-I'm pretty sure. I havnt gone to a psychologist yet but my mother and her friends are all telling me to go. i'm major depressed.
Since i've had to give up playing guitar ( my dream) ive gone from being an A student to failing everything completely-I have to repeat this year at university next year.
I get out of bed at like 12 everyday. I dont eat, I dont bother with my friends anymore, I dont do anything. I have no dreams/ambitions/goals.

get help ! i was like this up till recently , just go out een if you dont feel like it. Do something new for the heck of it.

But always remember , that its OK to feel down , its JUST an emotion .
LOL its super ironic , i would just love to kill myself and get over with it , but the finality of death gives me too much of a panic attack for me to entertain the idea for too long.

Note: no im not going to kill myself ... neither should you
Quote by petrina_678
get help ! i was like this up till recently , just go out een if you dont feel like it. Do something new for the heck of it.

But always remember , that its OK to feel down , its JUST an emotion .

I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I wanted to become a CA (something to fall back on) and then go study music. I cant do that anymore. I hate what I am studying to become. I never want to get married or have kids. Guitar and music was my dream/passion/life. I used to be such a determined, hard working, positive attitude kinda guy-thats all gone now.
Having fun is temporary-it doesnt eliminate depression.

the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
Quote by petrina_678
LOL its super ironic , i would just love to kill myself and get over with it , but the finality of death gives me too much of a panic attack for me to entertain the idea for too long.

Note: no im not going to kill myself ... neither should you

Thats what I'm like.I sometimes think I'd like to just die but then I think.Well thats it then.I'l never experience sex or anything like that.I'l just die then in a year or two noone will ever know I lived.
I'm Bi=polar, type 2 with elements of type 1 and a lot of mixed states to boot, don't take meds, tried twice and had a bad reaction, so now I have once a week sessions of Corectional Behaviour Therapy
Quote by Jacek.W
Having fun is temporary-it doesnt eliminate depression.

Oh jeez i totally know what you mean. When i was experiencing the worse of my depression i would find myself having fun / laughing for a moment and then i would tell myself , "am i supposed to live just for these occasional happy moments??" ...

but its like nobody can be happy all the time ,you have to tell yourself you live for the experiences ,the good AND the bad ones.

Try getting a job or going back to school , get some routine back into your life.

Im getting a job soon and Art school starts in 3 weeks for me. Im using that as something to look forward to
I think for me the number one cause of my depresion is the fact that I have bad teeth.I never cleaned the when I was younger and now I have tooth decay.It makes me depressed because its completely my though and its irreversable and I'l have to go through my entire goddam liofe without being able to smile without thinking about how bad my teeth look.
Quote by insideac
I seriously think im a sociopath. Any way to find out for sure?

watch a video of a kitten dieing horribly, if you show no emotion, you're a sociopath
Quote by Jacek.W
I've had a nervous breakdown this year-I'm pretty sure.

I think I may have had one in the past but am not sure. Could someone clarify what a breakdown is?

And I've had outpatient treatment for a disorder I'd rather not disclose. I see a psychologist still, and can't see a time I won't need to. Kinda sucks, but still makes me feel different.
Quote by petrina_678
Oh jeez i totally know what you mean. When i was experiencing the worse of my depression i would find myself having fun / laughing for a moment and then i would tell myself , "am i supposed to live just for these occasional happy moments??" ...

but its like nobody can be happy all the time ,you have to tell yourself you live for the experiences ,the good AND the bad ones.

Try getting a job or going back to school , get some routine back into your life.

Im getting a job soon and Art school starts in 3 weeks for me. Im using that as something to look forward to

Its hard-A person can deal with almost any obstacles/problems with their lives as long as they have dreams/goals-its what drives people to live their lives. But when that dream dissapears- its like what the fuc* am I supposed to do now.

Quote by DaveM666
watch a video of a kitten dieing horribly, if you show no emotion, you're a sociopath

Im a sociopath It was actually a cat trapped in a cage and lit on fire.
Quote by Le_Bunny
I think I may have had one in the past but am not sure. Could someone clarify what a breakdown is?

And I've had outpatient treatment for a disorder I'd rather not disclose. I see a psychologist still, and can't see a time I won't need to. Kinda sucks, but still makes me feel different.

A nervous breakdown isnt really a medical term. Its got a pretty broad definition-it includes many things like depression

Quote by Jacek.W
Its hard-A person can deal with almost any obstacles/problems with their lives as long as they have dreams/goals-its what drives people to live their lives. But when that dream dissapears- its like what the fuc* am I supposed to do now.

i know, sooo what i did was to create goals.

write a to-do list.

know that even this depression will come to pass.
I have anxiety and the bad side of perfectionism.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by petrina_678
i know, sooo what i did was to create goals.

write a to-do list.

know that even this depression will come to pass.

Thats the problem-I dont have goals-I've been trying to figure out what I want to do in my life for a long time.-still no idea

I have Anxiety and pretty severe depression.
I suspect I have paranoi and possibly even a mild case of Bi-Polar but I haven't been diagnosed with either.

It sucks.
Quote by Final !mpact
I have Anxiety and pretty severe depression.
I suspect I have paranoi and possibly even a mild case of Bi-Polar but I haven't been diagnosed with either.

It sucks.

Paranoia can be linked to bi-polar, especially manic episodes, during a 3 week manic episode I refused to eat anything because I thought someone was tring to poison me, and wouldn't sleep in my room because I was convinces aliens were coming through the wall to abduct me
Quote by michal23
Jack: Just because you can't play guitar doesn't mean you can't compose

Haha-i've never written a song even when I could play. I do like transcribing music though.-but its pretty ****t* compared to actually playing.
(MY names Jacek,not Jack,-pronounced Yutsek)

Quote by Jacek.W
Haha-i've never written a song even when I could play. I do like transcribing music though.-but its pretty ****t* compared to actually playing.
(MY names Jacek,not Jack,-pronounced Yutsek)

Oh sorry, I didn't realise. I'm Polish too (I assume you are, since you have a Polish name ).

You should then try getting into composing. Honestly, learn some music theory and practice it, you don't have to have a guitar in sight to do so, a keyboard and a nice program like Guitar Pro would suffice.

The more you practice, the better you get at it, and the thrill I get from finishing a nice composition is next to none.
Ive been on various SSRI's and Antiphychotics (horrible horrible drugs) for reasons im not entirely sure. Apparantly i think too much and the phychiatrist seems to think im depressed due to my substance (ab)use. I feel pretty good though...
Quote by michal23
Oh sorry, I didn't realise. I'm Polish too (I assume you are, since you have a Polish name ).

You should then try getting into composing. Honestly, learn some music theory and practice it, you don't have to have a guitar in sight to do so, a keyboard and a nice program like Guitar Pro would suffice.

The more you practice, the better you get at it, and the thrill I get from finishing a nice composition is next to none.

A fellow polishman!
I'll try-but I think i'll still prefer transcribing though-its a pretty cool feeling when you tab a song

I don't have any mental illnesses/disorders/etc.. but what I do know is that things like depressions and stuff are all about mindset, and to get out of one you'll have to change the way you look at things (which can be ****ing hard to do)

I'm not saying it's an illusion or something, but psychological breakdowns and depressions really are actually what some would call all in your head, though I'm not saying it's your own fault or anything or that it happens to people who are instable or something, I hope you'll understand what I'm saying with this...

Anyways..

I've had moments in which I've thought; What the hell am I actually doing here? Why do I live? Do I want to live for another possible sixty years if it's all gonna be like this? If I do what the hell am I living for?

I'm a pretty positive guy, have the greatest friends I could ask for, but actually the only thing that I really have a vision of for the future is music, and I think that has a lot to do with why I'm not a person who'll break down or get depressed, I have a dream, and I'm not afraid to give everything up for that and fight for it...
I still have no ****ing idea what I'm living for, or what the hell I want my life to be like later on, or even if I still think those next sixty years are gonna be worth it, but I think that dreaming about something can help you distract yourself from thinking nonstop about what the use of you being here is, and possibly or even probably the answer is where you'd least expect it, and therefore can only be found if you have the right amount of time of not feeling useless and focussing on something else without things playing a role in the back of you head all of the time..

lol sorry for the wall of text
Quote by cooper512
Ive been on various SSRI's and Antiphychotics (horrible horrible drugs) for reasons im not entirely sure. Apparantly i think too much and the phychiatrist seems to think im depressed due to my substance (ab)use. I feel pretty good though...

\so dont take them.... like me lol'

whatever makes u feel better
Quote by Jacek.W
A fellow polishman!
I'll try-but I think i'll still prefer transcribing though-its a pretty cool feeling when you tab a song

Trust me: once you're in, you'll never get out... a bit like the pit
I'm sort of giving up in everything.

This year I've failed college horribly and have to repeat the year. I had no drive throughout the whole year and there were days when i just couldn't be bothered to get up and go.

The one good thing that happened to me through the year was this girl I went out with for a short time but she got bored of me very quickly.

I hate the way I look really badly and i won't even show my arms to anyone because they are so thin.

I no longer spend hours trying to learn a song on a guitar and if I can't do it straight away I give up which is totally different to how I was two years ago.

I'm losing all my friends and I only have about three left now even though I had loads this time last year.

I have had suicidal tendencies but I will never go down that route.

Basically I've lost the need to work for anything and am losing the will to live.
Is this depression?

Quote by michal23
Trust me: once you're in, you'll never get out... a bit like the pit

Someone said that yesterday. The pit is like Hotel California-" You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave'

Quote by Jacek.W
Someone said that yesterday. The pit is like Hotel California-" You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave'

Yeah, that sums it up pretty much. I actually left for a while, but was eventually drawn back in again.
Quote by metal_al73

Basically I've lost the need to work for anything and am losing the will to live.
Is this depression?

do you still feel content?

any problems eating ?

sleep issues?

are you constantly worrying about it?

do you still feel happy about things that bring you joy?

any suicidal thoughts?
I don't know, i haven't been diagnosed with anything and i haven't spoken to any professionals, when i do experience things which make me think i am not quite sane, i just try and rationalize it down to having a bad day or week or whatever, and when i talk to close friends about it sometimes they give the old "things will get better", "you're just having a bad day, you're not alone" stuff, i know they are trying to help, but it seems fruitless sometimes.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Page 1 of 2