Alright pit, I know there are daeth metal fans here, what kind of side effects of mastering the most brutal vocal style (between that and black metal) in existance.

Personally I would almost always have a sore throat, I went through a 100 pack of popsicles a week, good thing the damn things were cheap.

(If this belongs elsewhere could it be moved please)

EDIT: To clarify I'm not asking for help, I'm asking you guys to relate your stories.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Last edited by velocigecko at Jul 12, 2009,
if you have a sore throat, you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: it is very difficult to sing in that style correctly, out of all the local death metal bands I know I know only 1 guy who can actually sing correctly
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 12, 2009,
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/insideac/music/all/play655002

Thats an example of my lows... skip to :12 to hear two voices at once

And here are two videos I made to teach you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoeqzmosjeQ

Youtube is down..when it comes back up, Ill post the one for highs
Last edited by insideac at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by velocigecko
Alright pit, I know there are daeth metal fans here, what kind of side effects of mastering the most brutal vocal style (between that and black metal) in existance.

Personally I would almost always have a sore throat
, I went through a 100 pack of popsicles a week, good thing the damn things were cheap.

(If this belongs elsewhere could it be moved please)

You're doing it wrong.

RIP Tom Searle.
There shouldn't be any. It must come from the diapragm, and drink plenty of water and just practice.

If your throat is sore afterwards, you're doing it wrong.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
If your throat is sore, stop immediately. Drink plenty of warm water before and during, cold water shocks your vocal chords and milk creates too much phlegm. It should always come from the diaphragm, and it will take time to get your growls lower. Also, there is a growling thread in the metal forum.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I never said I was doing it right!
It took me forever to get anywhere because the habbit of using my throat to get the vocals was sp inground.
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
From all i've learnt is that for cookie monster:

You don't growl using your throat, I think it's supposed to come from your chest...

Then again, i've only tried it at an inconsistent level and I am not sure if the way I know is right or not.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
You have to sing from the "bowels" of your lungs
Quote by The_Burnanator
I hate it so much when people quote themselves in sigs!!

Lol, epic Strong bad reference. *goes and does a trogdor guitar cover*
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Quote by EEE_ELLL_OHH
Wow, that was vile. Just a reminder of why I hate that kind of music

+1
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Warm up and stretch your throat by talking and drinking warm water ify ou wanna avoid a bit of pain.

when it comes to screaming you can either do it or you can't, really.
when i do it, it doesn't hurt. But after gigs or band practice my throat feels a big like.. tired?
my voice deepens a bit but i don't get pain in my throat.

my growls are done by tensing my stomach or something
screams are done by constricting my throat when i'm 'talking' or singing or w/e

I can do 45 min gigs pretty easy.

I'm glad i don't sing, you can't put the two together well from my experience.
I used to sing but not anymore.

among a few; Tommy Giles from Between the Buried and Me and Michael (sp) from Opeth are the only ones i know who can do both correctly without one really effecting the other.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Last edited by signedinbloodnz at Jul 12, 2009,
at first i wanted the high ones, didn't even bother looking at tutorials in youtube so everyone thought i was the cookie monster and laughed.
About 6 months later, i tried with the low ones, this one with some tutorials in youtube. Did a good job for my age (15) but some people still thought it was the cookie monster.
As my high death metal vocals are so funny, guess im staying with that one just to fool around.
Quote by silly hats
From all i've learnt is that for cookie monster:

You don't growl using your throat, I think it's supposed to come from your chest...

Then again, i've only tried it at an inconsistent level and I am not sure if the way I know is right or not.

Im still the cookie monster
I would check out the Zen Of Screaming it really helps with screaming. It has also helped my growls as well.
Quote by signedinbloodnz
I'm glad i don't sing, you can't put the two together well from my experience.

Growling hasn't really had any adverse on me singing-wise. Now, trying to switch between screams and singing quickly is another story. My throat just doesn't swap modes that quickly.

Quote by neozeke
I would check out the Zen Of Screaming it really helps with screaming. It has also helped my growls as well.

Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by Mr.Rodgers
There shouldn't be any. It must come from the diapragm, and drink plenty of water and just practice.

If your throat is sore afterwards, you're doing it wrong.

This is a misnomer popularized by those who like using obscure organs in their vocal advice. The diaphragm is an involuntary muscle sitting just below the lungs; it cannot be controlled to produce sound, nor does it make any sound.

Instead of trying to make the sound come "from the diaphragm" as people suggest, it should come from the low chest, which has been commonly misinterpreted as "the diaphragm".

It is not generally fun learning death metal vocals, actually. Being able to produce them however is immensely awesome.
I find that the Zen of Screaming is ridiculously hard to follow, not very instructional and not very dynamic in the techniques.

Honestly, the whole DVD makes me think of a giant infomercial, just telling you about Melissa Cross' course, and the vocalist's experiences with her.
It's bull**** really, I learned how to do it more on my own (trying out different methods and researching online) than I did following her instructions. Though they made more sense when I went back to it.
The second one seems to be more instructional than the first, but it's still ****.

One of my friends bought the first one, I didn't bother and downloaded them both because I had a feeling they were going to be a waste of cash. It almost seemed too good to be true, lol.

I had such a hard time getting it right though, and I only know how to do it with the fry technique, any other techniques I've tried kill my throat immediately. I used to do false chord screaming and tried to guttural and more harsh vocals using that... and OMFG that was a baaad mistake on my part. Sometimes it would work and not hurt, but sometimes it would get so bad that I could hardly sleep that night.
Quote by El Boyo
i want to somehow mate with this song and have babies with it
Well, excuuuuuuuse me princess!
Last edited by Eunakritos at Aug 2, 2009,