Page 1 of 4
OK so in school they teach lots of pointless stuff that most wont even use once you graduate ...

But there are things that everyone needs to know that they dont teach :

-why dont they teach about the banking system , credit cards , debts , interest , i know it mostly common sense but not everyone knows these things and end up with serious loan/debt issues .
Like once some girl called up a talk show saying she never knew that using a credit card creates interest . Hence she was drowning in debt.

EDIT:
And while at that maybe they should also teach about applying for loans to get a house , household expenditure .

Better still they should teach about company structure , and talk about what different divisions do. Breaking down the specific duty of each department , ( human resource , Public relations , communication..etc) that way you get more kids graduating with more idea of what positions they can apply for rather than just going for the obvious choices ( police, doctor, lawyer)

OR they could teach entrepreneur skills, and some business related stuff .

OR about stocks and shares , how the market works , some basic economy
Last edited by petrina_678 at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by metaldud536
How to play Medic in Team Fortress

Spy would be a better choice. I'm stuggling like a drowning bitch finding out how to play that.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
They should teach you how to bunk off school.. it would be a valuable life lesson..
@dbostwick
Quote by boreamor
Spy would be a better choice. I'm stuggling like a drowning bitch finding out how to play that.

I find Spies to be rather shallow and pedantic. Besides, even a crappy Medic is more useful than a crappy Spy
How to name your children properly. That way we will stop having kids with retarded names.
Quote by metaldud536
I find Spies to be rather shallow and pedantic. Besides, even a crappy Medic is more useful than a crappy Spy

Spy wins :P
||
Quote by metaldud536

Well, true. But there's nothing better than getting the achievement "FYI I'm a spy"

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
Quote by petrina_678
OK so in school they teach lots of pointless stuff that most wont even use once you graduate ...

-why dont they teach about the banking system , credit cards , debts , interest , i know it mostly common sense but not everyone knows these things and end up with serious loan/debt issues .
Like once some girl called up a talk show saying she never knew that using a credit card creates interest . Hence she was drowning in debt.

I undertook an Applied Mathematics course last year and I learned about all of the bolded topics.
Quote by boreamor
Well, true. But there's nothing better than getting the achievement "FYI I'm a spy"

Quote by KiwipediaStudio
Spy wins :P

Ok the Spy is cooler though >_>
They should have a class on politics, that way people would be able to understand just what the f*** is going on in the world.

Also, metaldud nailed it on the head, I hate playing TF with noob Medics.
Hmmm... Interesting question... About the harm Internet use can cause maybe?
First aid.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by phlip999
They should have a class on politics, that way people would be able to understand just what the f*** is going on in the world.

Also, metaldud nailed it on the head, I hate playing TF with noob Medics.

There is a politics class in my school, but it's not mandatory, not that it matters.
Quote by jimmyled
Hmmm... Interesting question... About the harm Internet use can cause maybe?

we get told that in moral and civics ....
They should teach how to properly use a bong.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Troll avoidance classes, an impartial form of R.E. possibly, Sex Ed (they didn't do it at my school, and it probably doesn't help the teen pregnancy rate).
As medic is it better to heal whoever needs it like Ive been doing or try to stay with one person?
On that note, How to cordionate zombie attacks in L4D
I agree with petrina's suggestion about banking and money management. I wasn't taught any of that in school. I think such "life lessons" are necessary. If school doesn't teach you, who will?

My school didn't teach anything that didn't fit squarely into the available subjects.

I think there should also be a few lessons about writing CV's and formal letters and such. Some universities teach this, but only in the second year. I have no idea why. These are skills you should have a lot earlier, but who will teach you how to do it properly?

Also, some schools have classes where things like sewing, cooking, woodworking and other such skills are taught. I think that can be pretty useful.

I think "applied" subjects are important. Most of what I learnt in school (whih wasn't that much, anyway) was purely theoretical, and seemed to have no significance outside the class.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by petrina_678

Apostrophes?
Quote by sashki
I agree with petrina's suggestion about banking and money management. I wasn't taught any of that in school. I think such "life lessons" are necessary. If school doesn't teach you, who will?

My school didn't teach anything that didn't fit squarely into the available subjects.

I think there should also be a few lessons about writing CV's and formal letters and such. Some universities teach this, but only in the second year. I have no idea why. These are skills you should have a lot earlier, but who will teach you how to do it properly?

Also, some schools have classes where things like sewing, cooking, woodworking and other such skills are taught. I think that can be pretty useful.

There were classes on all of those things when I was in school. Though there was only one sewing teacher and she left so they replaced her with another cookery teacher. But sewing isn't a skill i've needed in life.
Masturbation.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

They should definitely make a class on non-retarded names. Why would you name your kid "River, Chance, Chase, Summer" like WTH!?
Step A: Chose arbitrary natural object
Step B: Have a kid
Step C: Give arbitrarily chosen natural object's name to the kd.

Bingo. One retardedly named kid.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
Quote by sashki
I think such "life lessons" are necessary. If school doesn't teach you, who will?

Precisely, Life will.
MonsterBeast Is Fat And Ugly!
How to use a cardboard box as an effective means of camoflage.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by sashki

I think there should also be a few lessons about writing CV's and formal letters

we learnt formal letters but yeah we should learn how to write resume or a CV .
Quote by StratPat
Tom loves men

NO i dont

on topic probly should teach Excuses to get out of things :P
Quote by sashki
So you won't learn about the banking system until you're in debt?

Well it can't be bad to teach it but if people don't seriously have some sort of idea then I think they deserve to be in debt IMO.

Ok you've convinced me I agree they should just so we don't have more idiots in debt.
Quote by petrina_678
we learnt formal letters but yeah we should learn how to write resume or a CV .

We had this program where we had to apply for an unpaid job for a week, for which we had to write a CV and do all the formalities.

We were never actually taught how to write a CV. We were given a website and told to look that **** up ourselves.

Needless to say, most people got jobs where friends of their parents worked.
Quote by MyDesertRose
Well it can't be bad to teach it but if people don't seriously have some sort of idea then I think they deserve to be in debt IMO.

Ok you've convinced me I agree they should just so we don't have more idiots in debt.

They aren't idiots if they were never told. It's not their fault they don't know. I don't know anything about the banking system, credit, mortgages and stuff. I don't even know what some of those words mean (I'm 18 and have just finished school, btw).

If you planted a mine on a football field and nobody found out, are the people who play there the next day stupid for having their legs blown off? No. There was nothing they could do. They didn't know about it.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 12, 2009,
i think everyone should have to take an industrial tech class (IE auto, woodshop, metalshop), because it seems like half the people in my school are completely useless with fixing anything. for god's sake in my auto class there were a couple people who didn't know righty tighty lefty loosey
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
How to roll good joints.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Atlantis2112
They should definitely make a class on non-retarded names. Why would you name your kid "River, Chance, Chase, Summer" like WTH!?
Step A: Chose arbitrary natural object
Step B: Have a kid
Step C: Give arbitrarily chosen natural object's name to the kd.

Bingo. One retardedly named kid.

Why thank you.
Quote by eazy-c
How to roll good joints.

How bout' how not to waste weed?
Page 1 of 4