Right now im sick of every metal band playing in drop Q with the same old chugga chug. I have a floyd rose floating and im in standard, cant even get in drop d and i make no plans of re tensioning my bridge to get a different tuning. What id like to know is a list of metal bands that play in standard, apart from metallica, iron maiden, megadeth etc. Would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
Some Pantera is.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Dream Theater (Usually)
Opeth
Watchtower
Exodus
Angra

Damnnn I need my other computer with all my music on it to remember this stuff hahah.
try cynic ? or atleast im pretty sure they are in standard
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Power metal is usually in standard E tuning / Eb.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Early Testament maybe? I heard this one song by Moonspell that was in standard, or at least I think it was. Maybe Helloween?

(^ the end of the world)
A lot of thrash is in standard, which is always good.
And defintely look at some Dream Theater, providing it isn't a song which uses a seven stringer.
all that remains, is D standard, as is most pantera

BUT..... with those bands you could do what I do, Put the song file in audacity and pitch shift it up one whole tone. Its not the same key as the original but you can still learn the material and practice (P.s. just make sure not to save)
Want Sub-Forums For GB&C, CLICK and Comment to Help the Right People Notice.
3 Inches of Blood

As previously stated a lot of thrash, power, and folk metal bands use standard.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Dream Theater and Opeth have a fair amount of songs in standard.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Maiden
Dragonforce(Excluding the odd 7 string songs)
Dream Theater(Same applies)
Tool

Only bands I can really think of atm
And like..none of them are strictly metal

My bad!
Quote by Jody LeCompte
"My personal preference has always been for a rack unit. One less thing to play dance dance revolution with on your pedalboard"

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
First two Deftones albums are (Like Linus, Adrenaline), but after that they're like A# or something.
Quote by TechIndustrial
Right now im sick of every metal band playing in drop Q with the same old chugga chug. I have a floyd rose floating and im in standard, cant even get in drop d and i make no plans of re tensioning my bridge to get a different tuning. What id like to know is a list of metal bands that play in standard, apart from metallica, iron maiden, megadeth etc. Would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

of COURSE you can tune to Drop D

I do it all the time. takes a bit longer than on a regular guitar because it keeps jumping back, but it stays there after a little tweaking

And then play some Opeth. Demon of the fall, Blackwater Park... should keep you busy for a while. Awesome... awesome songs.

but if you still can't be arsed to tune one damn string, then play
Opeth's - Master's Apprentices. Standard and heavier than your mother.

those three are just very heavy songs, Opeth has insane amounts of good **** though
You can set up your Floyd to make it to drop D and back to E only using the fine tuners.
Quote by Balmazer
3 Inches of Blood

As previously stated a lot of thrash, power, and folk metal bands use standard.

+1
3 Inches FTW
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
its not a floyd rose original, but i havent tried tuning to drop d without altering the springs in a while so i might give it a shot again.

edit: even the fine tuners make the other strings go out of tune
When you set it up, set it up with the low E fine tuner screwed down really far but not quite all the way so you can still tune it if you need too. You should be able to reach drop D with just the fine tuner if you do that.