Afternoon world ,

I think it's time I upgraded my amp. I'm currently playing an Epi LP through an MG15DFX Marshall amp, which I've had since I started (3 years ago) and I'm not really getting what I want.

I have a Dunlop Cry Baby and a Boss ML-2, though I'd rather not rely on pedals but more so the amp. I thought pickups might solve it, but I read some posts on here and decided an amp should come first. The stuff I play includes:

ACDC, Bad Company, Black Label Society, BLACK STONE CHERRY, BON JOVI, CREED, The Darkness, Deep Purple, DEF LEPPARD, Eric Clapton, Foo Fighters, Free, Gary Moore, GUNS N' ROSES, Iron Maiden, JIMI HENDRIX, Journey, Kid Rock, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Meat Loaf, METALLICA, NICKELBACK, OZZY OSBORNE, Pink Floyd, The Scorpions, Tenacious D, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Van Halen, WHITESNAKE, The Who.

So you can see I would like something which can take me from 'Master of Puppets' to 'Hey Joe' to 'Crazy Train' to 'Wanted Dead or Alive' to 'Higher' to 'Sweet Child O' Mine'. A real variety of tones I guess

I'm just about to get into a band and we fancy doing the local pubs, so an amp which can be quiet enough to practice in my bed room to being loud enough to support a whole band at a gig is what I'm after

My budget? Under £200, preferably £100-£150, and I'll be looking for something second hand!

Thanks for reading!

Alex
Quote by stykerwolf
Vypyr is the only thing for that wide range fo genres under that price, also the Roland Cubes...

He needs to gig though, they won't cover gigging.

I'd definitely save up more

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I have a MG15 aswel. They arent bad for practice, but the tone really sucks on them.
If i was you I'd look round for good deals on Ashdown or Peavey amps.
Line 6 would be a good cheap option, but they're more of a modern metal sound
I play in a function band and although now I have a Fender valve amp, i used to use the Vox AD VT100 and got on with it really well. It's got a lot of presets which range from clean to bluesy overdrive to a hi gain metal amp, but you can also save your own settings. I think it may be a little above your price range but there's a 50 watt version which is probably a bit cheaper.
Quote by Paul916
I play in a function band and although now I have a Fender valve amp, i used to use the Vox AD VT100 and got on with it really well. It's got a lot of presets which range from clean to bluesy overdrive to a hi gain metal amp, but you can also save your own settings. I think it may be a little above your price range but there's a 50 watt version which is probably a bit cheaper.

There's a 30 watt version as well if I'm not mistaken. And a 15.

You could gig with almost any amp as long as it sounds good, a lot of watts or not, because you can mic them.
I actually just sold a 60 watt all-valve Ashdown FA60DSP on eBay for about £200, but the guy hasn't come to pick it up yet. He lives in Hungary

If he decides he can't be bothered and wants me to refund him, I'll give you a bell if you want.
The vox is a great idea it's a brilliant amp and 50watt version is cheaper and lighter than 100, and for anywhere that the 50watt won't cover it, you're likely to have a PA system <honestly, that's advice right there
Quote by AngryGoldfish
It has enough power for small gigs, but I'm afraid it doesn't have a very nice tone.

The best option for gigging in a strict budget is a second-hand Vox AD50VT.

You could check out the Fender FM212DSP. That would definitely be good enough, and it is quite cheap as well.
Okay thanks for all the advice!
So you reckon I should save up more, how much more? Also with that new budget I should have, what kind of amps am I looking at?

Thanks again
Well it completely depends how much longer you're willing to wait to save money. If you wanted a great amp save up £3000 and get an all valve mesa boogie head and cab. But if you wanted just to save up a little bit more a lot of people agree with me that the Vox is a great amp for what you're looking to do. Just understand that the 100 watt is a quite heavy! I always suggest trying an amp before you buy but this will give you a good idea on what the Vox can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2UjT3hZnWk
Quote by Paul916
Well it completely depends how much longer you're willing to wait to save money. If you wanted a great amp save up £3000 and get an all valve mesa boogie head and cab.

1) You can easily pick up a Mesa/Boogie for £500
2) The only Boogies particularly worth looking at for the styles he plays are the Maverick, Blue Angel, Heartbreaker and F-30

If you can save £300, you'll have no problems getting a great, giggable tube amp. There are a few brand new, but on the used market you could get a very decent amp.

For all the styles you listed (basically just classic rock), a British-voiced amp is the best bet. That means amps similiarly voiced to Marshall or possibly Vox. A JCM800 would be ideal, or perhaps a DSL.

I recently saw a 100W Marshall JCM900 combo on sale for £300, which is a great amp for the price (used by loads of guitarists in the 80s including Slash and Randy Rhoads). Brand new, you can get the Laney VC30 for around £330; with a good overdrive pedal this should get you vaguely in the ballpark.

Really, for classic/hard rock you can get away with almost any amp - but something with a vaguely Marshall-esque sound would work best for almost everything you described.
Quote by kyle62
1) You can easily pick up a Mesa/Boogie for £500
2) The only Boogies particularly worth looking at for the styles he plays are the Maverick, Blue Angel, Heartbreaker and F-30

I understand that. It's just asking how much he should save up is a 'How long is a piece of string' type question really.
Quote by Paul916
I understand that. It's just asking how much he should save up is a 'How long is a piece of string' type question really.

The last one I measured was 2'7"
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!