I am planning to buy either an Ibanez AEL20E or an Ibanez AW30ECEDVS. Ibanez are really good guitars despite what other people say. The AEL20E is a really beautiful guitar (flamed maple top) and it has good reviews on this site and sound pretty well. The AW30ECEDVS is a Solid Engelmann Spruce Top and has a Dark Violin Finish. I have not really heard this guitar. Which do you think is better?

Ibanez AW30ECEDVS

Ibanez AEL20E (Violin Vintage)

Quote by blue_strat
Can you try them out?

Not really because i am buying them online, so that is why i am asking different people.
Ibanez acoustic guitars aren't that great. I would definitely not just buy one online without trying it.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Are these any good?

Epiphone PR5E Cutaway Acoustic Electric Guitar (Assorted Colors)

Yamaha CPX500 Compass Acoustic Electric Guitar (Assorted Colors)

I bought the Ibanez AW30ECE Artwood Acoustic Electric Guitar with some other stuff, it has a

BodyShape: Dreadnought Body with Cutaway
Neck: Mahogany Neck
BackSides: Mahogany Back and Sides
Top: Solid Engelmann Spruce Top
Rosette: Abalone Rosette
Tuners: Ibanez Gold Die-Cast Tuners with Brown Pearloid Knob
Pickup: Fishman® Sonicore Pickup
Electronics: Ibanez AEQ-SST Shape Shifter™ Preamp with Onboard Tuner
Outputs: Balanced ¼” and XLR Outputs
Fretboard: Rosewood Bridge and Fretboard
Saddle: Ivorex II ™ Nut and Saddle
BridgePins: Advantage™ Bridge Pins
Strings: Ibanez Coated Acoustic Strings
Finishes: Natural High Gloss Finish

Hope I made a good choice.
the only thing i like about it is the solid englemann spruce top.... Well, i hope you will get 1 out of a 1000 ibanez guitar that actually will sound phenomenal,,

make sure to post a NGD!
Quote by Anathetic
the only thing i like about it is the solid englemann spruce top.... Well, i hope you will get 1 out of a 1000 ibanez guitar that actually will sound phenomenal,,

make sure to post a NGD!

sure will, will be receiving in about 3-5 days.
sounds like the best of the ones you posted. at least you got a solid top and a cutaway - and i'm a big fan of engelmann. enjoy!

Quote by acousticstummer
I bought the Ibanez AW30ECE Artwood Acoustic Electric Guitar with some other stuff, it has a

BodyShape: Dreadnought Body with Cutaway
Neck: Mahogany Neck
BackSides: Mahogany Back and Sides
Top: Solid Engelmann Spruce Top
Rosette: Abalone Rosette
Tuners: Ibanez Gold Die-Cast Tuners with Brown Pearloid Knob
Pickup: Fishman® Sonicore Pickup
Electronics: Ibanez AEQ-SST Shape Shifter™ Preamp with Onboard Tuner
Outputs: Balanced ¼” and XLR Outputs
Fretboard: Rosewood Bridge and Fretboard
Saddle: Ivorex II ™ Nut and Saddle
BridgePins: Advantage™ Bridge Pins
Strings: Ibanez Coated Acoustic Strings
Finishes: Natural High Gloss Finish

Hope I made a good choice.
You made a rubbish choice. I don't mind about being blunt because we warned you in advance.

I suggest you keep the receipt, don't even bother opening it, just send it back. It's a horrible guitar.
Between your two choices, you made the better choice. Hope you enjoy it!

Why did you go with the natural instead of that dark violin finish?
Quote by jimtaka
Between your two choices, you made the better choice. Hope you enjoy it!

Why did you go with the natural instead of that dark violin finish?

because the dark violin one does not look too splendid. The natural one looks better.
i'm mostly a natural finish kinda guy myself.... but i have to admit that i'm a definite sucker for an antique violin finish.
I am also getting the TAKAMINE EG5013SVFT G-SERIES ACOUSTIC GUITAR so, i hope that goes good as well ( got the guitar on sale for $189.43) The guitar has a solid spruce top with Flamed Maple back and sides.

I just recieved the Ibanez guitar! I was exited to see how it sounded, but i was really dissapointed because every single fret buzzed. But, i adjusted the action higher and it sounded way better. It is really great for finger picking, but decent in open chords. (good thing i like finger picking more than strumming, but it was pretty good in open chords) It still has that new metal electric sound, so i am breaking it in. Over all, i am satisfied and hoping that it gets better.
since it's all laminate, it won't get better. solid tops get better - the point of laminate besides being cheap is that it's very stable and doesn't change. you might help it a big by getting new nut and saddle out of better material, and maybe better strings.

i suggest you take it to a luthier to see if you can get rid of those buzzing frets. personally i wouldn't accept even a beater guitar where i had to raise the action to play it unless the strings were basically sitting on the neck.

i've been wondering why you got two low end guitars instead of one better one.
Quote by patticake
since it's all laminate, it won't get better. solid tops get better - the point of laminate besides being cheap is that it's very stable and doesn't change. you might help it a big by getting new nut and saddle out of better material, and maybe better strings.

i suggest you take it to a luthier to see if you can get rid of those buzzing frets. personally i wouldn't accept even a beater guitar where i had to raise the action to play it unless the strings were basically sitting on the neck.

i've been wondering why you got two low end guitars instead of one better one.

first of all it has a solid engelmann spruce top, and second of all i already got rid of the buzzng frets . and i didnt get a better guitar because i got more money after the guitar came in.
sorry - see what happens when you post half asleep? the top will open a bit over time, but it won't change enough to make you like the sound of a guitar that doesn't sound good to you.

you got rid of the buzzing frets by raising the action, you said. did you adjust the truss rod or did you actually replace the saddle, bridge or nut? the thing is that it could be a truss rod adjustment issue, but if the nut, bridge or saddle is too low or has another issue from the factory and you adjusted the truss rod so, your truss rod could be adjusted in a way that's not good for the neck - or for your left hand. maybe worth taking to a luthier if you aren't sure.

Quote by acousticstummer
first of all it has a solid engelmann spruce top, and second of all i already got rid of the buzzng frets . and i didnt get a better guitar because i got more money after the guitar came in.
The Takamine Guitar just arrived yesterday, and oh man, is it good. It sounded great out of the box and the action and everything was perfect. The solid spruce top and flamed maple back and sides of the guitar look beautiful with its satin finish. The Ibanez i got sounds terrific as well, but still needs more breaking in. Although i did get it bumped and chipped off a piece of the high gloss laminate of the the lower back of the mahagony. Both look great next to each other, but i think ill be playing the Takamine guitar more and have the Ibanez as a back up guitar.
the violin finish is extremely beautiful, but the beautifulness does not match the sound of this little guitar. I am quite suprised of the sound coming out of this guitar, but the Ibanez can not be left out. Maybe i did get a 1/1000 good guitar from Ibanez because it does to have a great sound. Although i do hate that finger print marks have to be cleaned now and than, but sounds great amplified. As i said before, the Ibanez might become my back up guitar, but i still need to break it in to see if the Takamine really sounds better. But i guess that it is up to the person, because they are made of different woods.
Quote by acousticstummer
the violin finish is extremely beautiful, but the beautifulness does not match the sound of this little guitar. I am quite suprised of the sound coming out of this guitar, but the Ibanez can not be left out. Maybe i did get a 1/1000 good guitar from Ibanez because it does to have a great sound. Although i do hate that finger print marks have to be cleaned now and than, but sounds great amplified. As i said before, the Ibanez might become my back up guitar, but i still need to break it in to see if the Takamine really sounds better. But i guess that it is up to the person, because they are made of different woods.

I too went with the Ibanez AW30ECEDVS, it really surprised me with looks and sound. Somebody was talking out of there "rear" with the 1/1000 was well setup remark. The Ibanez I tried was set up great right off the rack as well, and sounded the best out of 6-8 guitars in its price range. I went to Guitar Center with plans to buy a decent guitar to travel with. Not something to baby, something to play and drag anywhere(an Acoustic $300-350 price range).
This Ibanez AW30ECEDVS, vs Yamaha, Seagul, low end Taylor, couple of Epiphone, Alverez, and another beater or 2 from the Used rack.
Looks The Ibanez looked great first off, but the Seagul was right there with it on looks. The Ibanez was flashy and dark, the Seagull traditional and subtle.
Playability, the Mahogany smooth neck was amazingly smooth and easy to ascend and descend. The others that held ok in playability were the Yamaha, Seagul and a beat up Takamine.
Sound Here's where things were sorted out for me. The Seagul again was nice, but it was a little on the quiet side and very midrange-ish. Still a nice sounding guitar, but it was also Acoustic only The Yamaha was pretty nice as well and playability was ok too. The Ibanez though, sounded like it was plugged in compared to the other guitars. Articulate highs, buttery mids, and nice pronounced bass. The volume on this guitar was just amazing, as a package in this price range. It was just what I was looking for, PERFECT.
2 Months later now and I still love it, and play it more than my other Takamine (yep I baby it).
But hey, this is my 2 cents and I'm sure people will say what they will. I have owned 1 other Ibanez acoustic in the past and hated it. This one however, changed my mind about Ibanez acoustics.
There is hope, good luck.
Most people in this thread who bashed his choice of the ibanez didn't ever even play that particular model, how the hell would they know if it's a good guitar.

I've got the same ibanez, aw30ece in violin darkwood, and a takamine g406s new yorker, and both are amazing sound and play wise. Both have solid tops, and laminate back and sides, but not plastic or sawdust crap with stickers like on low end martins or taylors.

When it comes to Ibanez acoustics on this forum (or Fender, or Epiphone), it amazes me how people can bash a particular model without even trying it.

Every guitar company makes crappy versions of their acoustics, including "Martin" and "Taylor". Ibanez is no different.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at May 28, 2010,
I know that this was posted ages ago, but I was wondering why you dislike Ibanez guitars so much? I own the Aw30ECE and I think it is a fantastic guitar and I use it at all of my gigs. Maybe you do not have the right set of strings on it or are just biased and think that a "real guitarist" should play something more expensive. I believe most guitars and their sound depend on who is playing it. May not be true for all the guitars out there, but I have played high end and low end guitars, and it really just depends on personal choice and opinion.
Quote by Whitgurl2004
I know that this was posted ages ago, but I was wondering why you dislike Ibanez guitars so much? I own the Aw30ECE and I think it is a fantastic guitar and I use it at all of my gigs.
Then you should continue to do just that! Whatever works, and whatever gets your message across, is the right instrument. Ibanez has a reputation for good electronics. Electronics can make an OK guitar sparkle. No harm in that, recording studios add lustre all the time.

Quote by Whitgurl2004
Maybe you do not have the right set of strings on it or are just biased and think that a "real guitarist" should play something more expensive.
Playing the guitar, like buying and selling real estate is based largely on, "location, location, location". The average living room is dead as a door nail acoustically. Anything would generally sound better being played in the house's garage.

Quote by Whitgurl2004
I believe most guitars and their sound depend on who is playing it. May not be true for all the guitars out there, but I have played high end and low end guitars, and it really just depends on personal choice and opinion.
True the player matters, but also see above.

What have we learned? If a person is just starting out, coming to a forum such as this, with its rather limited set of good basic recommendations, can help a beginner avoid a costly mistake.

That is based on this, "if you don't know how a guitar supposed to sound, then how can you tell if it's good or bad". You strum, it makes noise, but a beginner is not really able to make a qualitative assessment or comparison, until he or she learns what the noise could be, or should be.

With that said, an advanced player with a developed ear, should, "buy the guitar, not the brand".

And I completely agree that many instruments are bought and sold purely on snob appeal, rather than practicality.

And with that said, if someone wants a Gibson, Taylor or Martin, and can afford it, there's no harm in treating yourself.

This is why most tentative discussions hinge on budget above all, so a player with a $300.00 limit, is not having a USA Martin rammed down his throat.

We make recommendations based on past successes, and buyer feedback. Many players that have started out with that Yamaha FG-700, have moved to better instruments, but without regret.

In any event, this is a really bad necro-bump, and I really don't understand why I'm pandering to it. So, play what you like, and like what you play....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 13, 2013,
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
You made a rubbish choice. I don't mind about being blunt because we warned you in advance.

I suggest you keep the receipt, don't even bother opening it, just send it back. It's a horrible guitar.

or is it you that is horrible, wannabe?!
Quote by mich8
or is it you that is horrible, wannabe?!
Well, your insightful commentary on choice of screen name not withstanding, this thread is from 2009 Which makes this all rather moot. Wouldn't you say?
I hope you enjoy your new axes acousticstrummer! Don't worry about pleasing anybody with your choice, as long as you are happy is all that matters.

That being said YOU chose the wrong guitar. LOL, jk. I'd have opted for the prettier model (AEL20E).
Quote by TobusRex
I hope you enjoy your new axes acousticstrummer! Don't worry about pleasing anybody with your choice, as long as you are happy is all that matters.

That being said YOU chose the wrong guitar. LOL, jk. I'd have opted for the prettier model (AEL20E).
OK, let's have a lesson in telling time. When Mickey's big hand is pointed toward "JULY", and Mickey's little hand is pointed toward "2009", that means this thread is dead. It is, is we say, a "necrobump".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 4, 2015,
Quote by Captaincranky
OK, let's have a lesson in telling time. When Mickey's big hand is pointed toward "JULY", and Mickey's little hand is pointed toward "2009", that means this thread is dead. It is, is we say, a "necrobump".

You realize that you responded to this thread before I did, right?
Quote by TobusRex
You realize that you responded to this thread before I did, right?
Well yes I did. But that was in 2013, after someone else necro-bumped it.

Post #33 by Whitgurl2004 was the bump. I responded to that.

@post #36 I attempted to explain this was a necro. Then, you responded to that.

My only course of solution here is to say, "back at ya ".