The thing is that im not sure yet..

My favorite genre is instrumental (steve vai, joe satriani, neil zaza) but I also enjoy metal, hardcore and anything that is melodic.

My band is death metal/metalcore/experimental and we often use drop tunings such as Drop B- Drop C-Drop C#. But our songs have a lot of sweeps and leads (like between the buried and me, after the burial, for today) and i don't know what set would be better for me. Our songs also have a lot of clean arpeggios but mainly sweeps and i want that screaming nice lead tone and nice sweep tone.

I know the pickups aren't going to do much and you will say sweep is all technique and you're completely right but my pickups are extremely muddy and they suck!

I was thinking of:
DiMarzio D-Sonic - DiMarzio Evo Neck
DiMarzio D Sonic - DiMarzio Air Norton

Amp : I own a cube 60x but I only use it to practice, I use a peavey 6505+ with a randall cab.

Guitar: Sadly, I own a JS30KV, this guitar isn't bad at all I just hate the damn pickups
Last edited by IHeartMyCrybaby at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by loudog93
amp?
current guitar?

Oh damn I forgot to post it in the first post lol

Amp : I own a cube 60x but I only use it to practice, I use a peavey 6505+ with a randall cab.

Guitar: Sadly, I own a JS30KV, this guitar isn't bad at all I just hate the damn pickups
Try saving up for a new guitar, as it would benefit you alot more in the longrun.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
Try saving up for a new guitar, as it would benefit you alot more in the longrun.

Yeah i'm currently saving for a Schecter BlackJack ATX C-7 but I want new pickups for the jackson. I don't want to sound like a douche bag but please STICK TO THE PICKUPS THING PLEASE!
The guitar isn't that bad. I have a JS Kelly, and after I replaced the bridge pickup, (I don't use the neck pickup) it sounded much better. And it technically is a mid-ranged guitar, because most starter guitars are $300 or below. JS series guitars are $400.

Try Dimarzio D-Activator in the bridge and Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
The guitar isn't that bad. I have a JS Kelly, and after I replaced the bridge pickup, (I don't use the neck pickup) it sounded much better.

Try Dimarzio D-Activator in the bridge and Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck.

I'm keeping the D-Sonic in bridge position, the one I'm not sure is the neck position.

If you think I should change the bridge position too give me reasons because It's like the first time with passive pickups lol
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
I'm keeping the D-Sonic in bridge position, the one I'm not sure is the neck position.

If you think I should change the bridge position too give me reasons because It's like the first time with passive pickups lol

It's personal taste. If you like the D-Sonic, keep it.

Neck, go for the Air Norton. I love the sound and IMO I think it would suit you the best.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
It's personal taste. If you like the D-Sonic, keep it.

Neck, go for the Air Norton. I love the sound and IMO I think it would suit you the best.

Yeah I think im going to get that set =)

It's funny because at first I was going to buy a set of Blackouts
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Changing passive to active would be a pain in the ass.

I'm not going to do that work, I know a tech who is changing the pickups , cleaning the neck , electronics, getting my guitar set-up and cleaning the whole thing inside for only 100$
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
I'm not going to do that work, I know a tech who is changing the pickups , cleaning the neck , electronics, getting my guitar set-up and cleaning the whole thing inside for only 100$

Don't get active pickups. Your tube amp will do great with the active pickups, but your Roland Cube will not since it's a solid state amp. Actives and solid state amps don't go together well.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Well, if you like active pickups, go ahead. I hate them.

No lol im getting the D-Sonic/Air Norton combo =/ Active pickups sound nice distorted but completely suck clean..

So, do you think im getting the set that suits me the best?
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
No lol im getting the D-Sonic/Air Norton combo =/ Active pickups sound nice distorted but completely suck clean..

So, do you think im getting the set that suits me the best?

Yeah, the Air Norton is perfect for your instrumental side, and the D-Sonic will cover your heavier side.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Yeah, the Air Norton is perfect for your instrumental side, and the D-Sonic will cover your heavier side.

thanks man you're pretty much the only one who helped me =)

Im going to place my order tomorrow and hopefully i will have those babies installed in 2 weeks
I'd definitely go with the Air Norton. I'm thinking of switching to one from the Paf Pro in the neck of my Carvin.
Get an Air Norton in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge, I use that combo and it's a very versatile pair. The Air Norton gives you great leads and the Tone Zone has that really nice bite for rhythm and it doesn't sound too harsh in the bridge when playing leads either.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Get an Air Norton in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge, I use that combo and it's a very versatile pair. The Air Norton gives you great leads and the Tone Zone has that really nice bite for rhythm and it doesn't sound too harsh in the bridge when playing leads either.

I thought of the Tone Zone but i'm afraid it might not handle REALLY high gain and drop tunings
If you mentioned Vai as one of the first reference artist... why not an Evolution neck?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
I thought of the Tone Zone but i'm afraid it might not handle REALLY high gain and drop tunings

Oh it does, it handles them really well actually, high gain is quite smooth if you set your EQ right and drop tunings still have that really meaty sound with the clarity you get from DiMarzio, it's just an all round great pickup.
I say Air Norton as well. Very smooth pickup and it should compliment the D Sonic which is a very in-your-face and well pronounced lead pickup. I think it's the combo that John Petrucci uses, if that helps give you a tone reference.