View poll results: Which amp?
Hughes and Kettner 25th Anniversary Edition Tube
7 33%
Blackstar HT5S
11 52%
BH5H with a BH412 cab
3 14%
Voters: 21.
Hi guys, im looking at a few various amps for my birthday and I may need it for gigging and these are the 3 im looking at (in a price range of £400-£500)

Hughes and Kettner 25th Anniversary Edition Tube
Blackstar HT5S (ministack)
BH5H (head) and BH412 (cab)

Now I have 2 questions, which one would you choose? and my other question is this:

Whenever I mention "4x12 cab" to my dad he argues about how I would get it around since we don't like have a van or anything how can I argue against it? And also my room aint so big as well and the cab is 40kg which is kinda heavy. I need a good argument so can anyone help me out here? Thanks.

EDIT: or I could do a BH15H head with a BH112 cab for £100 cheaper
Last edited by livnew at Jul 12, 2009,
Well... he's right. There is really nothing you can't do with a 2x12. If the gig is THAT large, then they will have a PA system and you mic it.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
You can buy casters with wheels to carry cabs around, or get a 112 or 212 cabinet that would be lighter
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
If you want a 4x12 cab then get one. If your going to gig however you may want to stay away from 5 watt heads. For gigging you'd be better off with the 20 watts and 1x12.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
hah. your dad is right. Buy a 2x12 cab. If your room is kinda small, then a 4x12 will decimate your room on a low volume. You can always mic the cab. You want more powerful heads. Those are weak for gigs.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Well as your looking at a 5w amp you really dont need a 300w 4x12 cab to go with it. And yea your dad is right if you dont have something to haul it around in a 4x12 can be a real pain in the butt. And it would take up alot of space in your room, where a 1x12 would fit much better.
You cant really gig with the Blackstar unless you mic it .....

EDIT: voted for it regardless
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jul 12, 2009,
2x12" cab would work better,
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd say: tell your dad that he's right (because he is), and you have looked for a decent 2x12 cab. Then follow everyone's advice and look for a slightly more powerfull head (~30W Tube), and buy that.

If you're lucky your dad will chip in some more money for a decent head.
Quote by Gabel
Or even better: A combo!

More amp for less money!

GABEL SHOOTS, HE SCORES!
Gabe's right, guys.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ok thanks for all the help guys. Can anyone now recommend me a decent size watted head and 2x12 cab of up to £500 ($800)?

EDIT: I mainly play pop punk and it needs to be able to do gigs (can be hooked up to the PA)
Last edited by livnew at Jul 12, 2009,
Guys I just found out I can get a BH15H head and BH112 cab for a bargain steal of £300!!!

So thats a HANDSOME DEVIL head with a 1x12" speaker cab for only £300, would that be alright for gigging (hooked up to PA)?

Also that will allow me to buy another 1x12" in the near future anyway because it is £200 off of my budget.
Quote by livnew
Guys I just found out I can get a BH15H head and BH112 cab for a bargain steal of £300!!!

So thats a HANDSOME DEVIL head with a 1x12" speaker cab for only £300, would that be alright for gigging (hooked up to PA)?

Also that will allow me to buy another 1x12" in the near future anyway because it is £200 off of my budget.

Wow. Great find!!! yeah that should be ok over a PA. Go for it bro
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44
Wow. Great find!!! yeah that should be ok over a PA. Go for it bro

Thanks for quick reply, also, I can therefore add another 1x12" cab at a later date?
Quote by livnew
Thanks for quick reply, also, I can therefore add another 1x12" cab at a later date?

I assume so ... I'm new to the whole "Stack" business
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
^^Depends on whether or not one of the cabs has an out jack to daisy chain to another cab and/or whether or not the head is stereo. Though I still think a combo would be better in this case.
The only one of those amps that is really loud enough to get over a drummer and still be fairly audible is the H&K.

Any of them will work as long as you have a PA, but for practicing without a PA, the only one that would really cut it is the H&K...

What kind of music are you playing?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
That is a great deal!

However you don't need a stack. I gig with an 18watter that's a 1x12 combo and have no problems getting heard... But that's a great deal for the stack, so I say get it!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by MatrixClaw
The only one of those amps that is really loud enough to get over a drummer and still be fairly audible is the H&K.

Any of them will work as long as you have a PA, but for practicing without a PA, the only one that would really cut it is the H&K...

What kind of music are you playing?

Pop punk mainly, I can use pedals however. But my budget is up to £500 and with the BH15H and the BH112 cab that leaves me £200 spare! Yet the H&K is £500... you know any better combos/half stacks?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Last edited by cliff_em_all at Jul 13, 2009,
Why the hell do you need or think you need a 4x12? Your dad is right. And buy your own gear.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
And buy your own gear.

Un-Needed comment is Un-Needed.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all

+1 dude thanks for those links I will definitely look in to them. I havn't tried any of those amps bar the flextone and i'm not really fond of it but that Mesa looks great! Or the Vox.