Add some to the list im trying to compile. Note this is very general and doesnt apply to every single solo someone has done.

Beginner

Pink Floyd
Opeth (pre freddrick)
SRV
Hendrix
Clapton
Led Zep
Queen

Intermediate

Maiden
Van Halen
Metallica
Slayer
Zakk Wylde
Dimebag

Advanced

Extreme/Nuno
Vai
Satriani
Al Dimeola
John McLaughlan
Testament Alex Skolnick
Megadeth
Alan Holdsworth
Paul Gilbert
Dream Theater
Dragonforce
Yngwie
Hmmm... AC/DC to the beginner section I think, even though there aren't very many beginners who can get a tone/timing that is even close to as good as what angus can do
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
Quote by BillyMays4Pres
srv as beginner? hah id love to see a novice player attempt any one song by him.

srv stuff is pretty easy imo. most of the initial stuff i did was blues including srv
Quote by ROHG
Hmmm... AC/DC to the beginner section I think, even though there aren't very many beginners who can get a tone/timing that is even close to as good as what angus can do

i agree
Quote by CookieMonsta666
oh yeah. i guess im more interested in the advanced side of things anyway

SRV really belongs in advanced. He's got some easy stuff true, but most of it is advanced, especially if you take the dynamics and tone of his playing into account.

Other advanced stuff I can think of...

Andy Timmons
Eric Johnson
Marco Sfogli
Greg Howe
Andy James
Guthrie Govan

Yes... I like my instrumental guitar players
pink floyd is at least intermeadiate. no begginer is going to be able to to give as much emotion and techniques in there solo
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by travs2448
pink floyd is at least intermeadiate. no begginer is going to be able to to give as much emotion and techniques in there solo

You don't need to be experienced to be able to play with emotion.
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
Guns 'N Roses could be put in intermediate. Same with Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick should go in advanced section.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

marty friedmen in the advanced section
along with Paul Gibert, and Racer X
Jason Becker too

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Good list, should update the list.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
Advanced

Buckethead
Shawn Lane
Eric Johnson
Guthrie Govan
I've heard it both ways
Avenged Sevenfold at Intermediate I guess
Children of Bodom at Advanced
Muse... Beginner?
Rubys.
We could change the world if we had the source code.
Quote by icronic
SRV really belongs in advanced. He's got some easy stuff true, but most of it is advanced, especially if you take the dynamics and tone of his playing into account.

Agreed
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by travs2448

Disagree on the emotional part, agree on the technique.

Intermediate:

Hendrix
Clapton
Robert Johnson
SRV
Chili Peppers(?)

Advanced:

Eric Johnson
Andy Timmons
Joe Satriani
Paul Gilbert
Jeff Beck(?)

Intermediate/Advanced:

-insert jazz guitarist here-

I wonder why a lot of the blues players are considered "Beginner" on the topic starter's list and why a lot of the intermediate guitarists are metal? I've found blues much more difficult than metal.
Advanced:

Buckethead
Rusty Cooley
Michael Angelo Batio
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

AC/DC in beginner definately.
Maybe Black Sabbath in beginner also.

And I'd put SRV in at least intermediate.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Dragonforce under advanced made me cringe a little...not saying that it isn't hard, just they aren't really worthy of being on the list in the first place.

Ritchie Blackmore should be on there, probably under Intermediate/Advanced, it is arguable.
Intermediate
Clapton
Jeff Beck
Rush

Advanced
Dethklok
Django Reinhardt

Extreme
Necrophagist
Quote by Lariviere
Dragonforce under advanced made me cringe a little...not saying that it isn't hard, just they aren't really worthy of being on the list in the first place.

It's still hard to play.
i wouldnt say a beginner would be able to play jimmy pages heartbreaker solo... stairway mabye but not stuff like dazed and confused too. the other parts of the playing like the chorus or riff for black dog is pretty easy otherwise.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Man, Dimebag and Zakk Wylde are every bit as advanced as megadeth and nuno bettencourt :|
I disagree with many of these rankings...SRV, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd are all at least intermediate, with an argument for advanced. Being able to truly bend in tune (especially several half steps) is a skill that requires both trained fingers and a trained EAR, and having a good ear takes a while to build up. Just because a "beginner" can play the notes off a tab does not mean he can "play the song."

Perhaps we have a different definition of "beginner," but I think a beginner list should be more like:

Nirvana
Incubus
Chilli Peppers
AC/DC
Blink 182

Beginners should be encouraged to play in time and in tune with simple songs, rather than barely eeking out half-assed version of Purple Haze and Comfortably Numb. Kudos to ANY player who can convincingly cover those two songs.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
It's still hard to play.

Uhh I know...I literally said that in my post...but I just don't think they should be up there with the greats because they aren't that great. I prefer guitarists that can actually play their own songs live.

Take Dream Theater for example, Petrucci can play for 3 hours accurately and most of his solos are crazier than anything that Herman and Sam play, but I hear that Dragonforce's sets are 45 minutes to an hour and they play very sloppily. I just don't see why they would be on this list in the first place...
Quote by Bendybaws
Agreed

Agreed again.

1. Put 13's/14's on your guitar, and some people will **** their pant's at the difference. A friend of mine is always complaining about my 12's because he plays 9's. (Not sure if that has a whole lot to do with difficulty in general, but some people would find playing with those strings impossible from my experiences, making it hard.)

2. RUDE MOOD. That **** ain't beginner.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by jvttlus

Beginners should be encouraged to play in time and in tune with simple songs, rather than barely eeking out half-assed version of Purple Haze and Comfortably Numb. Kudos to ANY player who can convincingly cover those two songs.

This is what makes Jeff Beck worthy of being under the advanced section. Sure he doesn't play fast and doesn't sweep pick or 8 finger tap, but his feel for dynamics is out of reach of many players.

This is a sort of pointless list though. There is already a songs for techniques thread and there are these sorts of threads with specific songs floating around the forums. Use the searchbar please.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I wonder why a lot of the blues players are considered "Beginner" on the topic starter's list and why a lot of the intermediate guitarists are metal? I've found blues much more difficult than metal.

Most people start out learning about blues before they learn about anything else, it's also a genre that most people can associate with right away even if they don't play an instrument. People could probably whistle along to a bluesy tune without knowing any scales etc. Also one of the fist scales people learn is the pentatonic minor, followed by major. Alsmost everyone can solo in pent minor. Blues is also generally played slower than metal and other genres of music, it means the beginner has more time to pick their notes, that's probably why it's seen as beginner
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Jul 14, 2009,
Led Zeppelin is so beginner I can't find a single guitarist on youtube who played "stairway to heaven" as it was meant to be played. It's not about ****ing speed, it's about playing correctly. The best example is some 14-15 year old girl who can shred really fast but can't simply play in tempo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccEbuD5j5YY
SRV and Eric Clapton could be at least in Intermediate.

It's good to see someone acknowledging Nuno as Advanced!

The Beatles -> Novice
Blink-182 -> Novice
Def Leppard -> Intermediate
Nickelback -> Novice
Paul Gilbert -> Advanced
LET THERE BE ROCK
Muhammed Suicmez in Advanced.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Ive been playin for a year and AC/DC's solos really helped me out and Im still learning their solos. Even though I can play the solos, Angus puts the feel and vibrato into them thats impossible for me. And he makes them all harder live
Quote by Benjabenja
Muhammed Suicmez in Advanced.

Thrided, also add Satriani, Ben Weiman and Shawn Lane
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Jul 14, 2009,
To add to this list, Chet Atkins and Albert Lee could be put up into intermediate/advanced along with Jerry Reed.
Quote by JacobLampman
Agreed again.

1. Put 13's/14's on your guitar, and some people will **** their pant's at the difference. A friend of mine is always complaining about my 12's because he plays 9's. (Not sure if that has a whole lot to do with difficulty in general, but some people would find playing with those strings impossible from my experiences, making it hard.)

2. RUDE MOOD. That **** ain't beginner.

+1 to the rude mood comment. Id like to see People play that at temp and accurately
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.