I have the chrome pickup covers on my Les Paul. I am taking her into the shop to have some new pots put in aswell and a set up done. Should I have them remove the pickup covers while it's there? I know theres a tonal difference but, Im a Slash fan and it could possibly get just that much closer to the tone id like. Plus the covers are scratched so they might aswell be taken off. Lemme know ya opinion. Later
There's only a very slight tonal difference, and once you desolder the connections you'll have to remove a load of wax from the windings.

It's a PITA, in my opinion.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
According to your profile, your amp is a Marshall MG30DFX.

Removing pickup covers won't get you closer to Slash's tone.
^ He also uses SD Alnico II Pros.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Yeah, I got a set of those coming in too!

No sense in going through all the bother to remove your pup covers then.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
No sense in going through all the bother to remove your pup covers then.

or getting new pups at all. get a new amp first.
I dont use the MG.
I use Guitar Rig, which makes a world of difference tone wise. I can almost get his tone, I was just looking for the extra kick.
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Jul 12, 2009,
The difference in tone is going to be so slight you likely wouldn't even notice. I did it and it seemed slightly less refined and was totally not worth it. I had to scrape all the wax off of my pickups and then when I decided to put the covers back on, I had to repot them. Plus, alot of pickups have bobbins that don't match underneath the covers, especially on cheaper guitars and not in a good way like the old zebra pickups.

EDIT: By the way, I could only hear the difference on tube amps. It was lost through the few SS amps I tried it through.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 12, 2009,