Page 1 of 3
Time to vent. I should have known better but I did it anyways. I was going to replace the killswitch in my Jackson so I headed up to Radio Shack. While I was there I figured I might as well make the half an hour drive to GC to look at a few things and get some fretboard cleaner and some picks. I'm still looking for a 3 or 4 channel tube amp so I figured I'd give all the Mesa's another go around and then try a few other amps.

I moved across the country and have only been to this store a handful of times. I've had good experiences with a couple employees. Specifically, when trying the Rectifier and Roadster heads, one of the employees made sure they were all hooked up, got me a cable and a tuner, and pulled down several nice guitars from the top of the wall for me. They seem fairly knowledgeable but I'll trust most of my own research before I listen to some of the crap they spew out. The GC I spent a lot of time in when I lived in Raleigh was a very chill place with average employees. The guys spent a majority of their day on smoke breaks but I befriended a couple of them and they were always talking to me the second I walked in the door (they love getting commission on $500 worth of crap).

After playing around with a bunch of amps and talking to an employee about amps similar to the Roadster I made my way over to the counter to look at parts. I got the urge to spend and said to myself "I got a big paycheck and a fat savings account, might as well splurge". The girl helping me at the counter was cool and she has the same Jackson as me, albeit mine is the hardtail. I tell her I'm replacing both the pots, both pickups, the tuners and I want a new bridge if they have one in gold. It would be easier to list this out because after I got home and disassembled my whole guitar I realized how bad she screwed up.

1. I bought a Tone Zone for the bridge position. Price was 79.99 so I asked if they could knock ten bucks off. I got the rambling about low margin and crap but they said if I bought another pickup (I did for $95) they could work with me. She comes back and offers to give me the pots for free. Well, there's my $10. I check Sam Ash when I get home and I find the Tone Zone for $64.99. This will be win for me because they'll price match it plus I'll still have free pots.

2. When looking at the pots I told her I wanted both to be 500K. I've done some reading and have heard that some people do a 250K volume and a 1 Meg tone but I decided to stick with what Jackson already has, just higher quality pots. She asks me if I need the normal sized pots or the dime sized. The dime sized looked way too small and I told her to give me the normal ones. I get home and find I have a normal volume pot and a dime sized tone pot. The dime size shaft isn't long enough.

3. I haven't made up my mind on the bridge pickup yet so I look around at the SD's. I don't want something too harsh, I'll mostly use it for some cleans and bluesy tones. In the end she recommends the Pearly Gates even though it's $95. I've heard great things but have never played through one. When I got home I spent some time listening to YouTube clips of it and I must say it has such a beautiful warm tone. Unfortunately, I was given the bridge pickup. If I'm buying a Tone Zone (almost always used in the bridge) then why would you give me another bridge pickup?

4. I bought a gold TOM bridge just to offset all the black on my guitar. I asked specifically if it would fit on my Jackson, was told yes and it went in the pile behind the counter with everything else. I get home to find the studs are too thin.

5. I'm looking at gold locking tuners to add to the bridge. The Jackson tuners I had weren't too bad but I'm a tuning freak and would prefer if my guitar stayed perfectly in tune without putting a locking nut on the neck. They have Schallers in stock but only in black and chrome. I get a set of black ones but tell her I need the 3+3, not the inline. I get home and find out they are the inline tuners and the screws don't line up on my headstock.

As you can imagine, I'm a bit frustrated that I have to drive 45 minutes from my house to GC to return things that mostly should have been right in the first place.
Don't buy parts from Guitar Center, pretty stupid because of the lack of intelligence the employees might have, and lack of selection
It's a Guitar Center: most of the employees are there to make a sale, not to make sure that everything is right. Again, it is also at a Guitar Center, so chances are that a large number of the employees aren't highly knowledgeable.

The lesson to take out of this is to double-check EVERYTHING that can possibly go wrong with a sale.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
should've looked over everything before you walked out.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Do all stores in America work like this? Seems pretty much everyone tries to haggle at major retailers which is just bizarre.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by mikeyElite

^ Agree. You should have check that they did it right.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I live in Raleigh, the staff must've changed, because the guys in our GC are idiots.
Only good advice I've gotten was from the manager/owner.
I always go to sam ash, I tend to get a lot less bumbling fools.
Quote by lokster
Do all stores in America work like this? Seems pretty much everyone tries to haggle at major retailers which is just bizarre.

Most of them do. It is kind of odd being able to negotiate a price at a chain store, but it has and continues to be done.
There's no way anyone salesperson can know about every guitar's hardware. It's really up to you to be responsible and knowledgeable about what you need. Next time do your research first and you'll not only know exaclty what you want but what the going prices for items are.
Good learning experience here.
Moving on.....
sorry to point it out but no 1 and 2 are quite clearly your fault entirely. As for the pickup, that's an easy mistake to make (one i've made before)

but yer GC employee's are not the best informed
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by lokster

I like to haggle with staff here in English guitar shops too. They want to sell things, customers want to buy things - they'd prefer it if customers bought products from them rather than competetors, and so haggling comences.

Unfortunately I don't buy guitar gear from shops anymore, but I'm sure it's possible to haggle in Sainsbury's..
I know I should have double checked everything but I thought with the amount of time we spent compiling all this she would have gotten it right. Everything was kept behind the counter in a pile so I really only saw her pull things off the wall and it was too far to tell exactly what it was. The worst part is though, SHE HAS THE EXACT GUITAR.

I feel like if I'm spending a couple hundred dollars that the employees will make commission on, I should be sitting on my butt testing out a Mesa while they bring things to me for my approval.

I'll be taking in ALL the parts from my Jackson today to match them up. Just short of walking in with my guitar (not a bad idea) there's no way they can screw up.
Quote by MarcoWasRight
I know I should have double checked everything but I thought with the amount of time we spent compiling all this she would have gotten it right. Everything was kept behind the counter in a pile so I really only saw her pull things off the wall and it was too far to tell exactly what it was. The worst part is though, SHE HAS THE EXACT GUITAR.

I feel like if I'm spending a couple hundred dollars that the employees will make commission on, I should be sitting on my butt testing out a Mesa while they bring things to me for my approval.

I'll be taking in ALL the parts from my Jackson today to match them up. Just short of walking in with my guitar (not a bad idea) there's no way they can screw up.

Obviously you have never heard of Murphy's Law.

Taking your guitar in actually wouldn't be a bad idea, that way you can have them open up the parts and see if they fit. It's a good way to make sure that everything works.
Now I'm scared to go into any guitar shop
Quote by consecutive e
Let me be the first to say.

Pics or gtfo.

Quote by CaptDin
Guitar Center - because someone has to trick people into buying Line 6 amps.

[img]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77198&stc=1[/img]
Quote by AcousticArc

Just do your research or bring in your gear and you'll be fine.
Quote by AcousticArc

meh don't do impulse purchases, do your research, haggle and you should stay relatively safe.
If you have the Tone Zone Bridge, you might actually like the PG bridge model in the neck of your guitar.
Quote by MarcoWasRight

But they don't get commission anymore (or atleast from what I heard). So technically they don't care.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Ghold125
Don't buy parts from Guitar Center, pretty stupid because of the lack of intelligence the employees might have, and lack of selection

Dis shizz.
Quote by KenG
There's no way anyone salesperson can know about every guitar's hardware. It's really up to you to be responsible and knowledgeable about what you need. Next time do your research first and you'll not only know exaclty what you want but what the going prices for items are.
Good learning experience here.

I disagree. While I agree that they can't be expected to know about every guitar's hardware, they shouldn't CLAIM to know, if they don't.

Basically, I don't agree that it's your fault, in a perfect world you'd have been treated better, but knowing how the world generally works, next time check everything before you drive home, kind of thing.

1 and 2 probably are your own fault, though, as someone else said. Which of course doesn't excuse 3, 4, and 5.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mikeyElite

I agree with you !!!!!! He should have been sure on everything he wanted and checked it all before walking out the door, sounds to me like he stepped on his own dick and is blaming someone else.
GC Employees make about what you make at McDonalds and the managers only make about 60k.

If you want advice pay more and go somewhere else.
wait.. so you were a complete idiot to not check your parts first and then now you're blaming someone else for a mistake YOU made?

Though its not totally your mistake, it was jsut as much yours as it was hers for not trying it first.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
his mistake was expecting some idiot that's so dumb they have to work the counter while the other losers are on the floor.
Imo you should always buy parts online because guitar center has a bunch of overpriced crap and parts that don't fit. I bought the Proline trem bar for a replacement for my Peavey LFR in my wolfgang but it was too big and didn't fit in the arm holder. When i ordered a replacement from StewMac made to fit OFRs it fit perfectly.
Quote by mikeyElite
Like I do at Burger King, when I saw I want NO ONIONS, I make sure before I leave that there are NO ONIONS.

But anyway, this is your fault. Sorry.

People making 10.00 an hour plus commission aren't likely to be experts on anything (except maybe what the unemployment office looks like)! Heck, these are salespeople you're talking to not Guitar Techs, or professionals (if they were great musicians I doubt they;d be working there either) . Again, I say learn from it and be the person who knows what they want and need before you go into a store.
Moving on.....
Quote by -Collapse-
I live in Raleigh, the staff must've changed, because the guys in our GC are idiots.
Only good advice I've gotten was from the manager/owner.
I always go to sam ash, I tend to get a lot less bumbling fools.

Agreed. They haven't given me helpful advice ever and somehow always manage to take the exact thing I don't want off the wall behind the counter after I specifically tell them what I do want. I mean, a few of them seem friendly enough, but still.

I would go to Sam Ash, but there's this one guy there who always annoys the hell out of me.
Quote by CaptDin

That would make a great quote with a picture.

Sig'd
Quote by consecutive e
Let me be the first to say.

Pics or gtfo.

Quote by CaptDin

[img]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77198&stc=1[/img]
Quote by AcousticArc
That would make a great quote if it didn't generalize all Line 6 amps as being bad and that people are being "tricked" when they are really given a decent amp which is fine for a beginner because then they can develop their ear for tone and until then it will work fine for them.

Fixed.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Fixed.

Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Dude, something similar happened to me once. I went to mcdonalds one time, and asked for a big mac w/ a drink and fries. So they put all the stuf in the bag, and I payed, grabbed the bag and walked out. When I got home, I opened the bag, and THERE WAS NO FRIES!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude, something similar happened to me once. I went to mcdonalds one time, and asked for a big mac w/ a drink and fries. So they put all the stuf in the bag, and I payed, grabbed the bag and walked out. When I got home, I opened the bag, and THERE WAS NO FRIES!

i went to arbys once, ordered two orders of fries, 5 roast beef sandwhiches, and two boxes of cheesesticks,

we get halfway home and realize they gave us two turkey sub sandwhiches, and two chicken sandwhiches, we go back, get OUR order, adn they let us keep the extra food.

i ate like a mother fucking king that night
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by MarcoWasRight

apart from the fact you said the bridge was different. weren't you buying a bridge?

nah, the products that you're spending money on is what you get in return for your money.

see how that works?

sure, she made a mistake with the pots and tuners but they're really the only things that could be easily prevented. she can't be expected to know the exact measurements for each bridge and guitar combination. The pickups can be used in different positions and from what I remember the packaging isn't hugely distinguished between bridge and neck models.

also you bought a pickup without having heard it?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Blame isn't a one-way street. Marco should have looked over everything before leaving. That's just common sense.

The wrong parts being in the bag is probably the employee's fault. She should have slowed Marco down if he was going too fast or she didn't understand what he wanted. It would only be Marco's fault if he asked for the wrong things. When someone asks for 3+3 tuners, you put 3+3 tuners in the damn bag. I've worked retail, I'm allowed to say "it's not that hard."

If she claimed that something would fit on Marco's guitar, its mostly her fault when they don't. In that position, you should just say "I don't know." Not an easy thing to do when you are making commission but the proper thing.

Now, expecting a GC employee to know that is obviously naive. Things work out much better if you educate yourself first.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
apart from the fact you said the bridge was different. weren't you buying a bridge?

nah, the products that you're spending money on is what you get in return for your money.

see how that works?

sure, she made a mistake with the pots and tuners but they're really the only things that could be easily prevented. she can't be expected to know the exact measurements for each bridge and guitar combination. The pickups can be used in different positions and from what I remember the packaging isn't hugely distinguished between bridge and neck models.

also you bought a pickup without having heard it?

When an employee tells me that they have replacement bridges for my JACKSON and she owns several Jackson models (hard tail and Floyd) you would think she knew the difference between the size of the studs. The bridge was behind the counter, I asked if they had gold bridges for my Jackson and she grabbed it.

Of course the products I get is the return for spending my money. I could have done this much cheaper online but GC offers a brick and mortar store and people that should be able to answer my questions. People have always told me never to go to GC for specifics but I figured this was basic stuff. From now on I will only be purchasing strings and picks from them.

The pickups aren't meant to be used in either combination. The Pearly Gates has a bridge and neck model indicated by the B or N on the end of the model number. When I went to exchange it today for a '59, she grabbed the bridge version of the '59 and as she was going to look it up in the computer I told her the model number indicated bridge or neck. She ignored me and looked it up in the computer anyway. She then told me that on the back where it says "the bridge position version of this pickup is designed..." meant that it was the neck. The Pearly Gates bridge that I got said the EXACT thing on the back.

Even though Sam Ash is an hour from my house I'll have to give it a shot. The one in Raleigh had a lot of great selection but the employees were dicks for the most part.
Page 1 of 3