I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this school? Idk whether or not to attend yet, just looking for feedback if at all possible. I would be enrolling in the guitar program for a bachelor's degree. I have been playing guitar for about two years now, though i mostly play metal and death metal.
Quote by leadphoenix
I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this school? Idk whether or not to attend yet, just looking for feedback if at all possible. I would be enrolling in the guitar program for a bachelor's degree. I have been playing guitar for about two years now, though i mostly play metal and death metal.

I went there. Here are some questions to ask yourself..

What do you want to get out of it?

What do you see yourself doing when you finish?

is your goal to make a living, or just to "get better"..... or just to say " I went to a music school".

If you want to make a living, I would avoid places like GIT. They'll take your money, but the chances of them helping you make any are slim to none. (Unless your just absolutely amazing and can stand out among thousands of other guitarists that have been playing for far longer than 2 years). Then, you MIGHT have some gigs thrown your way, but the degree itself isn't likely to help much.

I know it looks appealing, but really I can't NOT recommend GIT strongly enough.

Another thing to consider......... 2 years playing black/death metal may not be the kind of preparation you need to get into college for music.

You may want to reconsider your career path. (not saying you shouldn't do it..... just saying to put some real thought into it)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 12, 2009,
well i want to get better obviously for performance and other reasons. but also i would like to have a degree and some more opportunities for gigs and auditions. what would i need to learn to get into a music college? i know the pentatonic and aoelion(?) scales but my music theory is pretty limited. i can play most stuff i hear by ear though so it makes up for some of my limited knowledge.
I don't have any information about the school itself, but I have thought about going to school or performance. I second GuitarMunky, and you should really think about it.

I did, and instead decided to attend the Institute of Production and Recording in Minneapolis this fall for Music Business. I believe that a business (or a production degree) would get you further in the music (or entertainment) industry and enable you to make a career out of your passion, even if it's still for performing, rather than a performance degree. Unless you want to get into music education (aka a music teacher) or a composer of jingles for companies, I don't think there is much you can do with a performance degree when you're finished.

But yeah, I would also say to rethink it and make sure you're spending your money on something that will help you pay the bills in the future, rather than being able to say you have a music degree.
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
I don't have any information about the school itself, but I have thought about going to school or performance. I second GuitarMunky, and you should really think about it.

I did, and instead decided to attend the Institute of Production and Recording in Minneapolis this fall for Music Business. I believe that a business (or a production degree) would get you further in the music (or entertainment) industry and enable you to make a career out of your passion, even if it's still for performing, rather than a performance degree. Unless you want to get into music education (aka a music teacher) or a composer of jingles for companies, I don't think there is much you can do with a performance degree when you're finished.

But yeah, I would also say to rethink it and make sure you're spending your money on something that will help you pay the bills in the future, rather than being able to say you have a music degree.
You would be looking at a degree in composition in order to get jobs for writing jingles Anyways you really won't get much from getting a degree in guitar from there. Most people looking to hire musicians won't really care. Also you might want to brush up on some theory. I had a application from MI and the stuff they had their wasn't to hard but you are going to need more than what you know.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
And on the subject of music schools- If you really want to improve as a player and meet others who wish to do so, go to a real music school - Mannhattan School of Music, New England Conservatory etc etc. These are places with intense disciplined study of the craft of music.