I am having trouble making solos sound good due to my lack of phrasing skill, so if andybody has any tips, exercises, or links that will help me please let me know.
Do what blue_strat said and maybe listen to some jazz guitar too. I would suggest Wes Montgomery, he is one of the greatest.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by FruityAzzGargle
I am having trouble making solos sound good due to my lack of phrasing skill, so if andybody has any tips, exercises, or links that will help me please let me know.

Learn, memorize, and play solos that are well phrased.

Learn what phrases are

practice recognizing phrases in music
practice writing your own phrases
practice playing phrases
Jam over a backing track and focus on your phrases.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 12, 2009,
Like blue strat said limit yourself to a small amount of notes maybe just two or three, and try and make them sound good.

Listen to John Frusciante for examples of this done very well.
Think sentences. Repeat the same basic idea with little differences until you go onto the next paragraph. Its nice to analyze the melody of a song, find out what the key notes are and improv, while making sure to hit those notes.
Is this for improv or crafting a solo?
When I'm crafting one, I generally hum or sing how I imagine it goes. Using the voice to make music creates very naturally placed phrases (i.e. it goes with your breath).
Generally though, listening to other music and also having a lick library help with phrasing.
What I find helps, is listening to a song like, "Since I've Been Loving You" or something and just try to replay the little phrases that you hear. But if you have access to another guitarist try playing together over a backing track trying to repeat each others phrases.
I'm not really that good but I think this is pretty decent stuff to do.
Get backing tracks online and solo along with them, record it (dosen't have to be good quality, computer mic should cut it), spot what you liked and what you disliked and then expand upon the postivie points.

Learn solo by artists who's phrasing you like (dosen't have to be a guitar solo), but don't learn them note for note, just try to work with some of the ideas.
Quote by intentionsthere
but don't learn them note for note,.

Why not?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Why not?

I'm not saying don't learn solos note for note at all, but for the purpose of improving phrasing I personally don't think it'll do much good, since you'd simply be copying others instead of working on your own phrasing.

It's just my opinion, never forget I'm just another asshole posting on an online forum haha.
Quote by intentionsthere
I'm not saying don't learn solos note for note at all, but for the purpose of improving phrasing I personally don't think it'll do much good, since you'd simply be copying others instead of working on your own phrasing.

It's just my opinion, never forget I'm just another asshole posting on an online forum haha.

But If I didn't steal B.B King licks I'd have nothing to fall back on after I run out of ideas.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
some solos don't even have to make sense.... have you heard vinnie vincent? that guys all over the place
Schecter Omen-6
ESP LTD V-500
Line 6 Spider III