Hi, I am looking to replace my Marshall100HDFX with a new all valve (tube) amp that is versatile but is more intended for metal. I play with an Ibanez Xiphos-700 and a Zoom GFX-1/or/GFX-5 (surprisingly good for tweaking). The bands my friends and I cover the most are Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, Parkway Drive and Metallica. I was interested in the Randall RM100 (because of the modules), the Mesa Boogie Dual rectifier or the Marshall JCM900. Money is not an option at the moment so please give me suggestions on what would be a good amp to buy. ... and please give me reasons and details why you chose a certain product!
Last edited by Syphirous at Jul 12, 2009,
I am located in Canada Ontario (Sudbury). And i might look into buying used, if its in good shape
Quote by Syphirous
We dont have Diezel amps around my area : \

you literally have no budget??

Do you need pedals?? (better than MFX's)
Do you need a second guitar?? (ya know, backup)
Do you need a Cab??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Randall RM50 with the Blackface and 1086 modules. there is one on ebay for $700. And when you get that, get one of two people to mod the 1086.

1) Pete Turley (okstrat on the MTS forum) - 1087
2) Anthony (Salvation on the MTS forum) - 1666

1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVfM0BX4mNg
2)http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=7373

MTS forum: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php

this is an all tube combo amp with two modular preamp channels and built in reverb tank. Each module is based off of the circuitry of a certain amp (i.e. Blackface = Fender Blackface Twin). Each module has two 12AX7 preamp tubes. the tube bias section on the back allows you to put almost any power tube in it, as long as you bias it correctly (which is extremely easy). If you get this and get the 1086 modded by one of the two guys i mentioned, you will be set to play any genre you wish. The 1666 is perfect for metal, but can also dwell into less heavy genres like rock and blues (but the blackface would be better for blues).

Good luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
yes i was looking into the Randalls with modules, but are they acctually accurate at all with the amps they're suppose to "emulate" (or whatever) and I am only looking to buy an Amp Head + Cab
The line 6 vetta is also a very cool amp with hundreds of other amp models that are accurate, unfortuneatly its very expensive.
Quote by Syphirous
yes i was looking into the Randalls with modules, but are they acctually accurate at all with the amps they're suppose to "emulate" (or whatever) and I am only looking to buy an Amp Head + Cab

so what is your budget??
every one has a budget son just give us a number
feel free to add me
Quote by Syphirous

I will be able to tell you next week when i get my RM80 combo (RM50 but with a second speaker). i hear they are very accurate. but if you get it mod'd, then you are almost guaranteed a awesome sounding module. if you listen to the clips, you will hear what i mean. here are some other clips:

http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

Why just a head and cab......the combo should be enough. but thats kool too. just get those two modules and get the 1086 mod'd and you will be set.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
Randall RM50 with the Blackface and 1086 modules. there is one on ebay for $700. And when you get that, get one of two people to mod the 1086.

1) Pete Turley (okstrat on the MTS forum) - 1087
2) Anthony (Salvation on the MTS forum) - 1666

You have learned the ways of the force well young padawan. No go and tell more people about what I have taught you in the ways of the force!

Seriously though just remember who referenced you to begin with

(^ the end of the world)
Quote by Chase_Jarvis23
You have learned the ways of the force well young padawan. No go and tell more people about what I have taught you in the ways of the force!

Seriously though just remember who referenced you to begin with

Ya, it was Shinozoku! But you have been a big help too. Muchas Gracias.

btw....nice Star Wars reference. kinda cliche, but it gets the job done.
--Einstein

--Einstein
The Marshall will be over-priced in Canada; unless you really like the tone and can find a good deal on ebay I'd suggest avoiding them.

Personal favourites would be;

Framus Dragon - I owned this for a while. It had a lovely balance of tone with not much compression. ie. it responded well to pick-attack and variations in guitars. The problem with it was that it sounded poor at low volumes. Unless you really pushed it hard it sounded fizzy and caged.

Mesa Boogie Single/Dual Rectifier - I owned this for a while as well, but found it's lack of mid-range and overt compression to be unsuitable for my band. A very nice amp though. It's not as good as the Framus.

Brunetti XLR-EVO 60 - this has a little too much bass for my tastes, but it still sounds great.

ENGL Blackmore - this is surprisingly the nicer ones of the ENGLs. It has enormous amounts of potential in terms of tonal shaping, but it doesn't have tonnes of gain. The way I like.

Hughes&Kettner Trilogy - this was similarly compressed, but it had a balance better than the Mesa Boogie.

Diezel Einstein - I want to buy this. It has a gorgeous response to playing styles.

Laney TT50H - this is very much a British amp. It sounds a little whispy but is effectively balanced and requires little tampering to find a lovely tone. It's incredible versatile.

Line 6 Vetta II - this is a great amp if you want many options for sounds.

Orange Rockerverb 50 - this is a little compressed for me. But when cranked it sounds very sweet. It has one of the most audible balances in tone I've ever heard.

Peavey JSX - this is a solid all round amp. It avoids some of the irritating qualities of the 6505 and 5150 amps, but still retains their power and agression.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by Syphirous
I would most likely not spend $2200 (Canadian) on an amp head. thats all lol

Well then, an RM100 head would be perfect for you (as long as it isn't going to be too powerful). For cabs you might want to look into avatar. they are affordable and you can tell them how you want it built.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by Ghold125
^For him, I think Vader might be better choice of a cab.

thats true. and considering money isn't an issue, he can get whatever he wants.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by Ghold125
^For him, I think Vader might be better choice of a cab.

this. for t3h br00t4lz my vader is tons better than my avatar
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Alot of the products are not sold in my area so between Randall RM and Mesa Boogie Dual Recto, any last thoughts?!
Quote by Syphirous
Alot of the products are not sold in my area so between Randall RM and Mesa Boogie Dual Recto, any last thoughts?!

RM.....b/c you can get above and beyond the recto with the Randall. $200 for a module or mod vs. $2000 for a new head. the randall will be better in the long run.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by Syphirous

can you go new??
you COULD afford a Peters Chimera or a Mako Dorado/MAK2
or a Titan (1400 NEW, CUSTOM BUILT)

then you have more money for a Mills or a Vader and for a Backup guitar
feel free to add me
Quote by Syphirous
That depends entirely on what modules you get. I personally prefer the options of the Randall, but the more natural tone of the Mesa.
I'd go for the Randall.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
That depends entirely on what modules you get. I personally prefer the options of the Randall, but the more natural tone of the Mesa.
I'd go for the Randall.

Ya, refer to those clips in order to make a choice on the modules. I would say get the Blackface for cleans and then get the 1086 and have it mod'd by either Pete or Anthony. As for the third module, that is your choice. You can get a clean module and have anthony turn it into a Loneclean (Mesa Boogie Lone Star module). here are some clips:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=7915

good luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein