Well, I was looking at the Gear for Metal thread that Alfred started and thought, "We should have a Blues/Classic Rock thread as well since there seem to be alot of questions regarding them.", hence this thread.

So, it would basically follow the template Alfred has setup for the Gear for Metal Thread. Ask questions you have about gear and someone who has some experience will answer it. We can make recommendations, post things to avoid, etc. and I will edit them into the firt few posts I will reserve.

So like that thread, if you want recommendations, post your:
Budget
If you're gigging
Bands/guitarists that you want to approximate tone-wise

So to approximate genres that this will cover:
Any form of blues
Any form of rock from the 50s, 60s and 70s and possibly the 80s as long as no high gain stuff is required.
It also encompasses any modern bands that have a sound similar to bands from the 60s/70s/etc.

And if you have settings questions, try the Settings Thread. If you want an idea of how good your tone is, try the Tone Testing Thread.

I will reserve a few posts and update them over the next few days with things I find get good blues/classic rock tone and what people suggest. When you suggest something, put it in a format like this.

Mesa Lonestar 2X12- $1999/~$1200-$1300

The first price is new, the second is used. Also state if it is a head or combo and if it is a head, what cabs/speakers you've found to work good with it. For any gear, post why you feel that it would be good.

I will try to come here and post recommendations/update atleast once a day.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
* = No longer in production.
Marshall Heads
I left out some of the vintage ones because the price varies dramatically between listings. As far as cabs and speakers go, I love the sound of these with Greenbacks and GT12-65s. Also try some Scumbacks if you want to spend the extra money. As far as cabs go, I wouldn’t recommend the Marshall ones. I highly recommend the Germino cabs and the Bogner cabs(not the Uberschall!!). Avoid all MGs at any cost unless it is used purely as a practice amp!!! Also know you will need an attenuator or a place to crank an amp for all of these except the JCM800 and the JMP Master Volumes.
1959HW - $2800/~$1800-2000
1959SLP- $2349/~$1200
JTM45- $1749/~$800-$1000
1987XL- $1849/??? Used
*JCM800- ~$600-$1000 Avoid the reissue. You can get the original that will sound much better for less than half the price of the reissue.
2061x- $1849/??? Used
*JMP Master Volume- ~$1200-1700 (Early JCM800s have practically the exact same circuit)
As far as mods for these go, try out the Caswell #39 (exact same thing as the Appetite for Destruction amp), the Voodoo amps mods and there’s this guy in Austin named Bill Webb who builds Fulton-Webb amplifiers and does a lot of work for EJ who does fantastic sounding mods.
Epiphone
Valve Junior Head- $150/~$100 Sounds great with the stock cab IMO but if you want you could try swapping the speakers. I don’t have a lot of experience with speakers other than the stock ones.
Valve Junior Combo- $200/~$130
I’m not too familiar with mods for these so hopefully someone can pitch in.
Vox
I would recommend the Alnico Blue upgrade on the AC15 and 30 if you can afford it. They’re a huge improvement IMO. The stock speakers on all of them sound great though.
AC30- $1200/~$650-900
AC15- $600/??? Used
AC4TVH- $200/??? Used
AC4TV- $250/??? Used
Night Train- $500/??? Used Designed by Tony Bruno, builder of Bruno Custom Amps and they sound great IMO.
Fargen has some mods for the Night Train that he claims do this to it. It is $999 including the brand new Night Train and includes boutique and custom parts and a Mercury Magnetics transformer upgrade.
1. At least doubles the sustain
2. Balance and note definition on complex chords
3. Increase in touch sensitivity and dynamics
4. Improved harmonic complexity when running OD pedals or self over driving the amp
5. Reliability via removing critical inferior components that fail over time with heat issues
6. Lower noise floor created by superior components and power supply circuit revision
Reeves
Handwired clones of the real deal original Hiwatts at great prices compared to the Hiwatt reissues from Fernandes. I would recommend staying with the Reeves cabs. They sound great when paired with the head I’ve tried. Stick with the Fane replicas as well unless you have a preference for one of their other models.
Custom Jimmy (Jimmy Page model)- 50 watt- $1999/??? Used, 100 watt- $2199/??? Used
Custom Lead (their take on a Marshall Super Lead- $1949/??? Used, High Gain-$2199/??? Used
Signature CP103/CP504 (Pete Townshend)- 50 watt- $1899/??? Used, 100 watt- $1999/??? Used
Custom (DR Original)- 50 watt- $1799/??? Used, 50 watt combo- $2029/??? Used, 50 watt w/ Power Scaling- $2099/??? Used, 50 watt w/ PS combo- $2329/??? Used, 100 watt- $2099/??? Used
Custom 30- $1999/??? Used, Combo- $2299/??? Used
Custom 18- $1599/??? Used, Combo- $1799
Templar Dragon- $599/??? Used I’m not sure about the tone of this one but I included it anyways.
There are also 6/12 watt models and a 10 watt HG but I’m trying to save a bit of space.

More on the way soon. Please contribute to missing prices if you know them.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 12, 2009,
*reserved*

BTW, I will be back on the forum in a few hours to post findings.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Amps:

£100 - £300

Epiphone Valve Junior
Vox AC4TV

£300 - £500

Fender Blues Junior

£500 - £1000

Cornford Harlequin
Fender Blues Deluxe
Blackstar Artisan 15

£1000+

Fender 59 Bassman reissue
Marshall Bluesbreaker

This kind of thing?
Last edited by blue_strat at Jul 12, 2009,
Pedals:

Carl Martin Hyrda Boost (60s - 70s)

Ibanez TS808 (SRV)

Big Muff Pi (garage blues)
wow i was an insperation for this thread

and are you doing pedals/guitars too??
and who is this Alf the guy in your sig is talking about
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
wow i was an insperation for this thread

and are you doing pedals/guitars too??
and who is this Alf the guy in your sig is talking about

I think its this:

I'm confused. What exactly is the purpose of this thread? Name off a bunch of amps, guitars, and effects for blues and rock and roll? Name stuff that classic bands used?

Quote by imgooley
I'm confused. What exactly is the purpose of this thread? Name off a bunch of amps, guitars, and effects for blues and rock and roll? Name stuff that classic bands used?

It's to offer a guideline for people who's music styles include the gear we're listing.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Zoot Allures
^ it's liek the gear for metal thread. Discussion and such about items that are good for blues or pre 70s rock

I've never read the gear for metal thread, due to the fact that it does not cater to any of the metal I have interest in playing.

As far as discussion for stuff that's good for blues- literally any guitar with 6 (or 12... maybe a few numbers in between, too) strings and nearly any amp is good for blues. Anyone who plays blues should understand that.

As far as classic rock, any tube amp (or solid state amp) that doesn't have a lot of preamp gain is good. Come on now, it's not rocket science.

I'm not saying the premise is a bad one, but it is rather counter intuitive, especially seeing as there is a whole blues and jazz forum, in which there are several threads about blues gear and such.

Furthermore, the different tones and styles vary so greatly, and there are so many different vintage style amps, that it's nearly impossible to compile them all. And that's just amps, not pedals or guitars (and that doesn't even delve into other instruments involved with classic rock and blues, like banjos, mandolins, harmonicas, lapsteel guitars, pedal steel guitars, slide guitar, etc).

Sounds like a misguided idea, that meant well, but was not well thought through (I've been considering for a long time to start one of these threads, even before the 'gear for metal thread', and dismissed the idea due to the aforementioned and other reasons.)

Just my opinion.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
It's to offer a guideline for people who's music styles include the gear we're listing.

Again, a myopic, arbitrary list of gear is not only not helpful, but detrimental to the creative process in my opinion. I can rattle off 75 amps that can pull of 'blues' but how does that help when the person looking has a completely different idea of what a good blues sound is.

Homogeneous lists of gear or 'guidelines' stifle exploration and experimentation, IMO. I mean, you've got Warren Haynes, who has used anything from fenders with the Grateful Dead, a SLO 100 with Gov Mule, Marshalls with the Allmans, Ubershalls, and a slew of other amps, and Joe B, using Marshall Jubilees, Cat 5 Plexi clones, Two Rocks, and Dumble clones, and an Engl Blackmore on one hand, and someone like Derek Trucks on the other hand using no pedals, plugging straight into a Super Reverb. That right there is indicative of the idea that there is no 'guideline' for blues gear.

Just my opinion.
Quote by imgooley
Again, a myopic, arbitrary list of gear is not only not helpful, but detrimental to the creative process in my opinion. I can rattle off 75 amps that can pull of 'blues' but how does that help when the person looking has a completely different idea of what a good blues sound is.

Homogeneous lists of gear or 'guidelines' stifle exploration and experimentation, IMO. I mean, you've got Warren Haynes, who has used anything from fenders with the Grateful Dead, a SLO 100 with Gov Mule, Marshalls with the Allmans, Ubershalls, and a slew of other amps, and Joe B, using Marshall Jubilees, Cat 5 Plexi clones, Two Rocks, and Dumble clones, and an Engl Blackmore on one hand, and someone like Derek Trucks on the other hand using no pedals, plugging straight into a Super Reverb. That right there is indicative of the idea that there is no 'guideline' for blues gear.

Just my opinion.

Mmm, yes quite.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

To Alfred, yes, I am going to be compiling a list of typical guitars and pedals as well.

To imgooley, that's not as much the point for the thread. The list will be more based off of links to information on the amp. I assumed people would be able to ask here what their best option would be for their price range and style without creating a bunch of what amp should I get? or What pedals are good for Blues/Classic Rock/etc. threads. If someone wants to get Warren Haynes' tone, we would suggest the amp for the period they want or a cheaper alternative. It's more of a basic information so that people can have an idea of what they want to look for.

EDIT: By the way, I have to look up some stuff in Germany for my grandparents first so I should start compiling the list around 5-6 pm Texas time tonight.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

excellent idea.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
BTW, we could even post useful mods to any amps, pedals, and guitars.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Sorry for the double post but the beginnings of the list have been posted so I figured someone could help me fill in the blanks and add to it their ideas.

blue_strat, your ideas will be incorporated once I make some progress with the list. And if anyone needs the price in their country's currency, they should be able to find it easily with Google but if not, post the question here.

EDIT: Mods, if you see this, can you change the name of the thread to The Gear for Blues/Pre 80s Rock Thread?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

It's fact that Alfred got his thread idea from "The Gear for Post-Rock" Thread.

In, either way.

I love teh Zepz and teh Beetulz.
Quote by imgooley

Just my opinion.

And then i suppose there's seasick steve playing with a cube 15
Quote by Zoot Allures
And then i suppose there's seasick steve playing with a cube 15

Exactly

To TS- There's nothing wrong with discussion on what gear the people around here use for this kind of stuff, and having a big ass thread about it. There is something wrong, IMO, with a catch all thread geared towards typical suggestions. There was an 'Only "Which Amp" Thread' stickied, and it's still kicking around. That didn't seem to curb the new amp threads.

I don't know how many times stuff like this has been started before only to fail . And Like I said, there is a whole forum with ****loads of threads devoted to this gear and ****.

But what the hell, I'll humor you.

Amps:

Fender:

5F1 Champ- Clone available through Weber and others, usually around 400-600 dollars with all parts.

5E3 Deluxe- Fender makes a RI model that costs about 1800-2400 new. DIY Kits are available from Weber, Ceriatone, Torres, and others, for around 400-600 USD with all parts.

5F2 Princeton- Clone available through weber, around 4-600 dollars all parts.

5E5 Pro- Clone Available through weber, about 600 dollars.

5F6 Bassman- Commonly known as a Tweed Bassman, Fender has reissued a 59 bassman amp and is available new around 1400 USD. Weber makes a kit, 650 with all parts.

5E7 Bandmaster- Clone available through Weber, runs about 600

More information on Tweed fenders is available here:
http://ampwares.com/fender.asp
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_50a.htm

6G6 Bassman- The Blonde Bassman. Can be found, if you're lucky, for anywhere between 1100 USD and 2200 USD.

6G14 Showman- Can be found, God willing, in closets and basements around the United States, Great Britain, and Canada . I haven't seen one used, so I don't know. High headroom, fender clean sound (duh).

6G7 Bandmaster- As with above, you'll be lucky to find one. Or you could try and convince Fender to reissue it .

6G3 Deluxe- same as above.

6G4 Super- Yada Yada

6G8 Twin- Win.

Ok, more info on blonde/brown Fenders, go here.

http://ampwares.com/fender.asp

So you see my point? Haven't even scratched the surface yet, and already went through more than 10 amps by one maker.

Discuss.
I get your point. I agree it has the potential to keep people from experimenting to get their own sound. But people who really want their own sound likely wouldn't be on a forum asking for suggestions as to what to buy. I see more people on here asking how to sound like their favorite guitarist than how to get their own sound. But you've obviously thought this through quite a bit more than me. I was just browsing today and figured what the hell? If it doesn't help it'll just fade away and UG will continue on as normal. So yes, there likely will be some problems. Thanks for the new suggestions though, I haven't got around to Fender yet.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT