I have been playing for 2 years now and mostly played nirvana and punkish stuff but now i have become interested in more advanced techniques and playing fast .Stuff like racer x ,satriani and metal things. but i have no idea where to start, what should i do first(mile sweeping or alt picking , more theory ), what are good exercises there is so much to learn.I figured out that a practice routin could help me because i plan on playing all day and after 15 minutes i just go on UG and browse the pit. so if i had a routine to follow and i knew what excersis to do i would be playing much more . but i can't come up with one if i don't know what to practice
I can play 5 hours a day for the next 40 days or so so i guess if i do that i would improve greatly and i don't want to waste that time in the pit.

tl;dr
So does anyone know where i should begin to learn metal and speed playing and where i can find a practice routine or how i should make one myself?
Last edited by Waffleguy at Jul 12, 2009,
start off with stuff that has a few tricky spots in the song, typically avenged sevenfold. Compared to many other heavyer bands, avenged sevenfold remains mild in difficulty. but i guess you could also learn little slivers of songs, but its typically best to learn a whole song rather than just a part of a song. if you cant go with avenged sevenfold, then just go a few steps lower and get yourself comfortable to A.F.I, M.C.R, stuff like that. Dont just jump into advanced stuff, gradually work your way in

EDIT:

Learn your theory pretty well too, it will help you a LOT when mapping out the fretboard, so when you encounter a tricky lick or progression, then you can understand why the artist used some weird notes. And learn your theory because you can essentially pick your guitar up and play a chord progression and then make whatever you want on top of that
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Last edited by xFinnellx at Jul 12, 2009,