Hi, right now I have a godin EMG and a flextone III. I love my gear till death, but I can't really get the tone I want from them.

I'm looking for some leads like steve vai, warm but crisp, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I'm also looking for some rythm tone like metallica in the song master of puppets, and stuff a little bit more heavy like some nu metal.

I was thinking in getting a RR5FR which has seymour ducans, and a 333 from bugera, and some dealy pedal or something for the leads, but I'm hearing a lot of bad things about the bugera, and I don't know if the jackson can produce a vai tone.

So what stuff do you suggest, specially for amp and guitar?
My budget is around $2000-2500, so no signature stuff
Thanks
With that price budget you can get a better amp than a 333, since you amp(besides your fingers) are the biggest factor of your tone. If you like vai you might like the carvin legacy or even a peavy jsx
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Carvin Legacy I Head(a good Head IMO)- 500 USED
Carvin 2x12 - 300ish me thinks
Peavey 5150 Combo for br00tz - 400 USED
Ibanez Prestige RG - 800- 1000 USED
Maxon OD808 for a boost - 150ish

TOTAL = 2350

OR
Peavey 3120 - 1000 NEW
Ibanez Prestige RG 800- 1000 USED

TOTAL = 2350
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Carvin Legacy I Head(a good Head IMO)- 500 USED
Carvin 2x12 - 300ish me thinks
Ibanez Prestige RG - 800- 1000 USED
Maxon OD808 for a boost - 150ish

TOTAL = 2350

OR
Peavey 3120 - 1000 NEW
Ibanez Prestige RG 800- 1000 USED

TOTAL = 2350

I personally like the first option. As if the 3120 is a xxx remake, then itll sound a little cold and strerile compared to the legacy or even a 5150.

the other option is
JSX-600-1200(used-new)
OD-(100-200)
Schecter or ibanez 500-1000 (used-new)
Cab(avatar/vader)(250-500) 2x 12

$1450-$2700
Quote by mexican_shred
With that price budget you can get a better amp than a 333, since you amp(besides your fingers) are the biggest factor of your tone. If you like vai you might like the carvin legacy or even a peavy jsx

If you literally mean your fingers, that has nothing to to do with your tone at all.

Shell out the money on the amp first, TS. I'd go for a Peavey JSX head and then buy an Avatar 2x12 with V30s or GBs or Eminence.
JSX
^^^Head

Cab
^^^Avatar cab with Eminence.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
If you literally mean your fingers, that has nothing to to do with your tone at all.

Shell out the money on the amp first, TS. I'd go for a Peavey JSX head and then buy an Avatar 2x12 with V30s or GBs or Eminence.
JSX
^^^Head

Cab

not literally but on the playing technique. If its sloppy, even on a good amp the tone can sizzle. if its not sloppy then it wont. Its more of an obvervation.
just go with a carvin legacy and legacy cab, that head can pull off some metallica pretty well, get a tubescreamer for leads and a EQ for the effects loop to tweak your sound.
look for a boss ce-2 chorus and a good crybaby classic fasel, the vox timemachine delay is my pick for a delay pedal
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
where do u play? onstage gear, home studio, garage, limitations will tell u alot on what to get...for instance tube amp needs to be cranked, solidstate any volume, pa outside gig...anyways we can put all kinds of suggestions out there
PRS Tremonti SE
Ibanez 320 RG DX QM
PEAVEY RAPTOR MUTANT
DIMARZIO PUPS
CRATE 2X12 120W
Crate APM-75
Boss Dr-3
GR-30, GT-10...
you could always try a nice used marchall jcm, and for a guitar id go with a nice les paul
i dont think it would give you a vai tone, but a jcm and a LP is a match made in heaven
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
just go with a carvin legacy and legacy cab, that head can pull off some metallica pretty well, get a tubescreamer for leads and a EQ for the effects loop to tweak your sound.
look for a boss ce-2 chorus and a good crybaby classic fasel, the vox timemachine delay is my pick for a delay pedal

It's not that dramatic though.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Thanks for the replies guys, I've already tought of the legacy as I want that vai tone for solos, but people keep telling to me that the amp cannot keep up with post 80 metal rythm.
Do you think getting the legacy and a od pedal would be a nice idea? I could od the rythm and play the leads without it, or maybe a used marshall that could produce a good solo and rythm sound?
And some people suggested getting two amps, a legacy and another one for rythm, but would it be better to buy a sole better amp?
The joe satriani amp looks cool however I went to peavey webpage and they don't have a dealer in my country
To the guy that asked, my budget is in american dollars, and I have no way if trying these amps
Thanks in advance guys!
having two amps is a bit overkill. unless you are obsessed with both tones, i think it's pointless buying a 5150 and a carvin. yes, they are very different amps in style and expression but not enough to warrant all that money.

Peavey JSX:
http://cgi.ebay.com/peavey-jsx-100-watt-only-used-10-hours-EL34-tubes_W0QQitemZ160348378894QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255582170e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50
Mesa Boogie 4x12:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Rectifier-4x12-Cabinet_W0QQitemZ260445520826QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca3c343ba&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Mesa Boogie Triple Rect:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Triple-Rectifier-AWESOME-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ300329569947QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ed098e9b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Combine it with the 4x12 w/Vintage 30's.

Get this Framus Dragon:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Framus-Dragon-100-Watt-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier-Head_W0QQitemZ290329950295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4399037857&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Guitar wise...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-SL3-Neckthru-Amber-Sunburst-Seymour-Duncan_W0QQitemZ110320456191QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item19af9c91ff&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50
Thanks for the suggestions! unfortunatly in my country we don't have a peavey dealer, and a triple rectifier is about $3000 dollars, I will do some bay search for international shipping though

But I think my final rig will look like this:

Legacy VL212 ---for vai tone/metallica&oldschool
Metalzone/superdistortion/metalcore pedal ---for modern metal
Ibanez rgprestige /rr5fr --the ibanez is obvious choice, but the rr looks sexy , ill go with the ibanez tho

Opinions?
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

JSX
^^^Head

Cab

Not in the slightest bit true, I play hard rock, classical, blues, jazz and modern punk and in every style you can dramatically change your sound with your left and right hand.
Quote by Zaio
Hi, right now I have a godin EMG and a flextone III. I love my gear till death, but I can't really get the tone I want from them.

This makes absolutely no sense

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Stretching it a bit there, it's possible, but hard to find at that price

Quote by Zaio

The joe satriani amp looks cool however I went to peavey webpage and they don't have a dealer in my country
To the guy that asked, my budget is in american dollars, and I have no way if trying these amps

If you're not in the US, how are you planning on getting something for the same prices as in the US? You can obviously buy them and have them imported to you, but you will also have to pay customs fees which will potentially end up costing you a lot more.

I see that you're in Mexico though, depending on where you are, you could cross the border and buy the stuff here, then take it back with you, avoiding such taxes?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I see that you're in Mexico though, depending on where you are, you could cross the border and buy the stuff here, then take it back with you, avoiding such taxes?

Lol Cross the border!!!
JSX head w/ Randall 412 celestion Cab
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/85 18v mod
Hendrix JH-1 Wah
Purple Patch cord - +5HP
Quote by Years
Lol Cross the border!!!

Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
Quote by Years
Lol Cross the border!!!

LOL

Mexicans can get over here legally, I wouldn't suggest the illegal way
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
lol you gave me a good laugh
I actually found the legacy in some underground music store and didn't like it, the lead tone was supberb but it didn't had a nice punch for rythm.
The good news is that I found a used peavey XXX in the "mexican ebay" for around $1250, I don't think I can try it before buying it tho, but I'm watching in tube it has a good punchy rythm and cutting leads.
Is the xxx better than the 333xl? because honestly in the demos I'm watching in tube the bugera sounds better than the peavey , but it could be mics and the quality of the recording
Quote by Zaio
lol you gave me a good laugh
I actually found the legacy in some underground music store and didn't like it, the lead tone was supberb but it didn't had a nice punch for rythm.
The good news is that I found a used peavey XXX in the "mexican ebay" for around $1250, I don't think I can try it before buying it tho, but I'm watching in tube it has a good punchy rythm and cutting leads.
Is the xxx better than the 333xl? because honestly in the demos I'm watching in tube the bugera sounds better than the peavey , but it could be mics and the quality of the recording
Seeing as the 333XL is a clone of the Triple X, in theory, the Bugera should of ironed out any miscoordinations of tone, flattening it out a bit. Not necessarily adding compression, but simply embellishing out the unwanted peaks of sounds.
I haven't actually played the 333XL, but it does nice through clips - a little better than the Triple X. Bugera amps, unfortunately though, have been known to break down. So maybe the XXX is the better option, particularly if you can find a good deal on the second-hand market.
^The 333XL is actually a JSX clone... which is based off the XXX, the 333 is the XXX clone
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com