EDIT: I have now finished this momentous task. See lower down 4 pix lulz!

So I have a BMX which i have pieced together from bits in my garage, but I recently saw what someone else had done to their bike which (although odd) I liked the look of...

Essentially, they replaced the front with a mountain bike wheel. That's right. A massive front wheel. Awesome.

Anyway, so i want to do this now. Obviously I'll need to change the forks and such too, is that straightforward? I have many old bikes around so should be able to find something (though may need a new inner tube).

So yeah, any advice on such a project? Or does anyone have any links to anyone who has done this before on t'internet?
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Jul 14, 2009,
Well, obviously have to change the fork, like you said. As long as it's the same headtube size, it should be pretty straightforward. Start where the fork comes out the top of the headtube, and attaches to the stem; just unscrew that, and it'll pretty much fall apart (not literally, you'll have to do some simple other things).
I did that to an old kid's bike a while ago; when you try and ride it, it'll sit really far back.
So I'm just looking for the same width "headtube"? (I can guess what that is)
in that case this should be easily reversible if I want too yeah? Removing the current fork and such shouldn't bugger it irreversibly?
it shold be a fairly straight forward swap. but the mountain bike forks might have a longer stem tube than the bmx fork, if it is your gunna have to find some spacers to give it some rigidity(sp?). but yeah, should be easy if you got a good bike knowledge, it's also easily reversable too.
gear
Fender highway 1 tele
v
Korg pitchblck
Zoom Uf-01
EHX Big Muff
EHX Russian Muff
Made By Mike fender blender
Mi Audio Crunch box
Malekko Ekko 616
Ibanez CS9
BYOC Flange
v
Fender 75

welsh?

FOR SALE: PEDALS
Quote by friji
it shold be a fairly straight forward swap. but the mountain bike forks might have a longer stem tube than the bmx fork, if it is your gunna have to find some spacers to give it some rigidity(sp?). but yeah, should be easy if you got a good bike knowledge.

Looks like we have a problem then.... But good point! I will look out for that.
Quote by jonlambofgod666
If possible, try to also put on a dual crown fork.

Well I had to google that but YES! I will try!
if you haven't taken a bike apart before its a good learing xp. Just remember how things came off n you shold be fine.
gear
Fender highway 1 tele
v
Korg pitchblck
Zoom Uf-01
EHX Big Muff
EHX Russian Muff
Made By Mike fender blender
Mi Audio Crunch box
Malekko Ekko 616
Ibanez CS9
BYOC Flange
v
Fender 75

welsh?

FOR SALE: PEDALS
badass

EDIT: Its retty good to see an actual outcome from a thread like this
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Jul 14, 2009,
all you need now is a spoiler, a huge sound system, and some carbon fiber handlebars. WOO! VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO.
Quote by SteveHouse
That's pretty cool, man.

WELL YOU'VE CHANGED YOUR TONE!

And thank you all, I am pleased with how this turned out. It's not really that practical, but it is what I aimed for, and achieving my goals satisfies me.

...But god-dangit I can jump high now!
Whats it actually like to ride?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
You should replace the fork with a 29er fork and wheel. Hilarious.
Quote by mort1
know im in the wrong forum
im not stupid........... duh
if you havent notised there is alot of ignorant people here,,,,,,,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
all you need now is a spoiler, a huge sound system, and some carbon fiber handlebars. WOO! VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO.

VTEC!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude that looks awesome
How does it feel to ride it?
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Quote by ScottB.
Whats it actually like to ride?

For some reason turning is much more sensitive now, but I'm used to that after a ride or two. When you accelerate hard from standing you do a little wheelie too, which is always fun, though maybe not safe...
The seat actually has a use now too, before when it was a standard BMX i never sat down at all, it made things harder, but now sitting down actually works alright. Standing on the pedal I am a foot or two higher than I was before too, which is fun haha

It really does make bunny hops easy as pie though, at first I thought "this big wheel should help me get up curbs and such i suppose!" but it's just easier to jump up now!
It is feeling possibly slightly harder work now, but I think it's just working a different part of my legs now I stand in a different position. Before most power came from the thighs but now the calves are more involved too.