Ok, I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now and I've been using Guitar Rig 3, and a Zoom Multi FX in a cheap bass amp (I know ) and I was looking into buying a half decent amp for practice, one that's good enough to make decent use of pedals.

I was looking at some ENGL's and they're pretty out of the budget I'm looking at.
£150 - £300.

This is a Marshall MG101FX, it has a 100w Output, which is pretty good for it's price I think. And it's not too big either so I can tuck it under my desk.
http://www.dv247.com/invt/61566/

I haven't really looked into any others which is why I asked here. Thanks dudes.
If you can avoid the Marshall MG series, it will work out better for you. They are very sterile in tone.

What kind of music are you playing? Are you happy to look on the used market?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
If you can avoid the Marshall MG series, it will work out better for you. They are very sterile in tone.What kind of music are you playing?

This. And this might sound stupid but do you play actual Guitar or Bass guitar?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I mostly play metal and the occasional blues, jazz and rock jamming. There's actually not a lot on ebay at the moment, I don't think, I don't know a lot about Amps you see. I've used a Randall amp, a small 30watt one, that was pretty cool, it did have a good sound, and decent settings, but I was looking for something a bit more powerful.

I will most probably try some out in the guitar shops in Central London over the next month or so.
the new MG (Which the threadstarter is talking about) aint bad at all and all the hate towards it is just leftover bandwagoning from the abysmal older models - however they are still overpriced and the 100 watter is still an oversized practice amp which won't really be a gig worthy amplifier.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'm not planning to use it for gigging, just a good home practice amp, plus most of the clubs around here have amps set up for bands.
Quote by Blompcube
the new MG (Which the threadstarter is talking about) aint bad at all and all the hate towards it is just leftover bandwagoning from the abysmal older models - however they are still overpriced and the 100 watter is still an oversized practice amp which won't really be a gig worthy amplifier.
I've actually only played the newer version. I never felt the urge to play the older ones. Then one day felt like the playing the new editions as I was wondering why it was upgrading; still very sterile sounding.

Quote by grimms
I mostly play metal and the occasional blues, jazz and rock jamming. There's actually not a lot on ebay at the moment, I don't think, I don't know a lot about Amps you see. I've used a Randall amp, a small 30watt one, that was pretty cool, it did have a good sound, and decent settings, but I was looking for something a bit more powerful.

I will most probably try some out in the guitar shops in Central London over the next month or so.
The Vox Valvetronix series is a great little amp for a variety of styles. The 80's amp modelling is a nice balance of grittiness and compression. The other, higher gain models aren't quite as concise, but are still usable.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/78307
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The Vox Valvetronix series is a great little amp for a variety of styles. The 80's amp modelling is a nice balance of grittiness and compression. The other, higher gain models aren't quite as concise, but are still usable.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/78307

With multi-fx amps, I heard it's not so good to use pedals. I'm not sure if that's true?
That particular amp doesn't respond to pedals particularly well, no.
If you want something that you can apply a pedal to, a second-hand Laney VC-15 might be nice.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANEY-VC15-110-VALVE-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-COMBO_W0QQitemZ260418669749QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item3ca2298cb5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A4%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200
What styles do you play? You've said you don't gig so a 5 watt tube amp or below should do or if you want solid state then you can basically have any wattage within reason, I use a cube 30X in my room.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
well i know the RRP is £220, but my Kustom Double Barrel is amazing, (imo). 30W solid state, two 12 inch speakers (amazing full tone and loud, too.) nice reverb, chorus, delay. the overdrive/distortion is good for blues rock, but even so i use a Marshall Blues Breaker II through it. It takes pedals amazingly on the clean channel, line output for recording, headphone out for silent practice, external speaker jack (so you can have a cab for it), and an input for iPods, CD Players, Computers, Tapes etc.

I think it is very good.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by demitriv
What styles do you play? You've said you don't gig so a 5 watt tube amp or below should do or if you want solid state then you can basically have any wattage within reason, I use a cube 30X in my room.

not if he plays metal, though (the 5 watt tube amp).

for £300, the only high gain tube amp i'm aware of is the valveking- it's a bit average/mediocre, but the main advantage is that it's cheap, pretty versatile and it's a tube amp. It's basically a matter of trying it and the better modellers and solid state amps around that price to see which you prefer, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the MGs are fairly good for a basic pratice amp

4 different gain modes
on board tuner
DFX and reverb

and with a programable footswitch.

I wish they had this new one out when I got an MG50DFX as my first amp. I've moved on now I've gotten better and am a tone purist now.

MGs are good entry level amps that offer everything.

Hell, I even saw a sneaky picture of Slash in a VR dressing room in Kerrang playing an MG30!