Alright, I think this is my first post. Please be gentle

By the way, I really do wish I could've been a little more descriptive with the title, but, as far as I know, the guitar I'm trying to build is a custom shape so. I couldn't really think of what else to put.

Alright, so I was inspired to make this guitar after realizing that I probably couldn't get a really, raunchy, dirty, overdriven, slide guitar tone out of my strat. I'm talking about something like this. Boot Hill - Chandler LectraSlide

So I decided to make my own guitar. I started doing a little bit of research both on U-G.com and another forum. And I learned that the best way to go about cutting and making sure everything looks good is to use templates. Then I figured I could spend a good 50 dollars buying a template of a guitar that really, wouldn't even be my own design (and what's the point of that.. might as well buy one off the shelf). Or, I could make my own.
I chose the latter.
I taped up four sheets of paper and traced my Strat to use that as a guideline pretty much, and I started to mess with the design, mostly the cutaways, what I ended up with looked a little like this.

After I finished that, I went out and got myself some MDF, as seen in that picture. And I taped up my template using some double sided tape, traced the template with a sharpie and took it outside to cut it.

Since that was obviously just a rough cut, I took off the paper template (ruining it in the process... so I better not screw up this MDF!) and bought myself a file at Lowe's and started looking around for some different files and sandpaper and what not, and started to shave off/cut off the excess wood.. I'll post a pic of it when I get down to the line.

Here's the tools I'm using to finish up the template.

And a shot of my little "Guitar Shoppe".

Here's where the questions come in!
1) Since I provided you guys with a clip of what I want my guitar to sound like, more or less. What kind of wood should I be looking into getting?
2) For those of you guys who are more experienced with working with templates. Should I make another template to route out the neck pocket? I won't be building my own neck, it'll be a warmoth neck, so it will be bolt-on. Since that looks like it's easier to build.
3) What kind of pickups should I look into. I have a pair of Gibson pickups, not too sure what model they are but my buddy that sold them to me got them out of his Les Paul Standard from a few years back. But I was kinda thinking P90's. What do you guys think?

-Andy
Last edited by borunda32 at Jul 13, 2009,
what style of music you play depends on the type of wood.
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
The link's broken for me, but if you want a nice "Opposite" to your strat, something like Mahogany or Korina would be great to use, you can get some real dirty tones out of a strat but if that's not what you're diggin, high chance the mahogany end of the spectrum is what you want.
In terms of pickups, those gibson pups might be a good choice if your trying to get the sound of the guy in the video, since he's using humbuckers. they seem to be vintage wound, or at least lower output, so you probably want to check the model just to make sure that ones you have arent overly hot or anything.

p90s might be pretty spiffy, though, but just not as beefy, so that is something you'll want to consider.

good luck to ya!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by guitarmankyle
what style of music you play depends on the type of wood.

He has a youtube video of how he wants it to sound.

The guitar in the video is mahogany, so I would stick to mahogany or limba (korina).
1. Wood doesn't matter.... Honestly, make it out of whatever you want but be picky on the pickups. I just posted something about tonewoods... It's interesting.

2. You can either make a template, or when you go to route it, just make some fences. I sometimes have carpet taped blocks onto the guitar body to keep the router from cutting the wrong stuff. But a template would work. Don't be afraid to build your own neck, I mean your making a custom guitar, why not make it completely custom and save money? Just do some research, you've got the tools you basically need in that picture!

3.Who do you want to sound like? What pickups do they use?
Alright so since most of the people on here have said I should use Mahogany. I've been trying to look into that. Does anyone know any places besides warmoth or stewmac that I could order myself a nice Mahogany blank from?

I'll try to answer the questions that have been asked. Let me know if I missed anything.
I play anything from hard rock to blues. My influences are Joe Perry, SRV, and Hendrix, if that helps.

I think the pups I've got are 490-R in the neck and a 498-T in the bridge.

Ohspryo: I've found a lot of info on the web about making your own guitars. But not as much on making your own necks. That's why I don't feel like I can make that jump just yet. If I could find some more information on it I'd love to try and build my own neck.

And I don't want to sound like anyone in particular, like I said in my original post, I'm looking for a "really, raunchy, dirty, overdriven, slide guitar tone".

I should finish up this first template tomorrow, for sure. I'll post pics when I do.

Thanks!
-Andy
If you want SRV and Hendrix style sounds, you'll need neck and bridge single coils.
I'd suggest the rarely seen (never seen to be honest) SHS setup. I think that would suit your needs perfectly.

EDIT: To clarify, the middle position humbucker would be for the 'raunchy, dirty slide tone.' I think alot of slide players use the neck position, and pretty much all slide players use humbuckers, so it should work out well.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by borunda32
Alright so since most of the people on here have said I should use Mahogany. I've been trying to look into that. Does anyone know any places besides warmoth or stewmac that I could order myself a nice Mahogany blank from?

I'll try to answer the questions that have been asked. Let me know if I missed anything.
I play anything from hard rock to blues. My influences are Joe Perry, SRV, and Hendrix, if that helps.

I think the pups I've got are 490-R in the neck and a 498-T in the bridge.

Ohspryo: I've found a lot of info on the web about making your own guitars. But not as much on making your own necks. That's why I don't feel like I can make that jump just yet. If I could find some more information on it I'd love to try and build my own neck.

And I don't want to sound like anyone in particular, like I said in my original post, I'm looking for a "really, raunchy, dirty, overdriven, slide guitar tone".

I should finish up this first template tomorrow, for sure. I'll post pics when I do.

Thanks!
-Andy

Don't order from online sites. Just go to google and in maps type in lumber yard near: [your zip code]

where are you located, if you are close by I can go pickup some wood for you (wayyy cheap wood in this one place near me)
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
williscool: I don't necessarily want this guitar to sound like Hendrix or SRV. I think I can get pretty close to their sounds on my strat. (Obviously :P)

Gibshall: I'm not close to you at all. I'm in South Texas.

-Andy
Quote by borunda32
williscool: I don't necessarily want this guitar to sound like Hendrix or SRV. I think I can get pretty close to their sounds on my strat. (Obviously :P)

Gibshall: I'm not close to you at all. I'm in South Texas.

-Andy

Right, I thought you were trying to do it all with this thing .
Well, like I said, the most important thing is just having a neck HB. I'd go with a TOM bridge if you haven't decided on that yet.
Oh, and your Gibson pups should work great for that sound. I have a 490R, 490T, and a 500T as N/M/B respectively in my SG and that's my slide guitar.
HB/P-90/HB would be interesting though.
Quote by handbanana
Yeah the bridge will definitely be a TOM. I just thought that maybe I should start making a supplies list tomorrow.

I'm for some reason very interested in P-90s. Maybe it's just because I've never played one. I should go look around town see if I can find any guitars with them...

I'm not a huge fan of the way 3 humbuckers look in one guitar.. maybe 3 mini-buckers would look better.

Anyone have any advice for building my own neck? How about set-necks, what's the deal with those? I know how they're attached but.. anyone on here built one of those? I'm sure someone has.

-Andy
looks sorta similar to mark morton's sig jackson

how sexy is that?

Yours is like a refined version. IMO looks a bit better.

mahogany definitely. get some like 11 gauge strings for a bluesy tone. Maybe a PAF set?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jul 13, 2009,
Very neat shape!
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
You most definitely need to play a guitar with P-90s if you think that's what you want.

And mini 'buckers would be a great choice. Alot of slide guys use old Firebirds with minis. Look up Johnny Winter.
Quote by handbanana
shawnsblues2, thanks for letting me know. To be honest I've always been a little confused when it comes to MDF and particleboard. When I bought this board the tag said MDF, but when they scanned the bar code it said particleboard. So I was a little confused about that. I'll edit it soon.

Update: Today, I was gonna go finish up the particleboard template. And I realized it's gonna be pretty tough to do the cutaway's small curves with that big ass file. Any advice?
I would get a real piece of MDF for two reasons; mainly if you use a file on particle board it is likely to chip out the template pretty bad as the edges are more porous and two MDF sands real smooth on the edges allowing a router to follow along the edge better when it is sanded smooth. MDF looks like a dark real real fine particle board and almost looks like a hard cardbord the edges almost look like paper. Oh yeah MDF means "medium density fiberboard" they make excellent templates..usually when you use particle board as a template which can be done but you would want to put a piece of edgebanding either pvc or laminate on the edge so the router will run on the PB edge without the bearing slipping into divots in the PB and it will travel alot smoother on the edgeband. Keep in mind what ever thickness edgebanding that you would use you will need to deduct the thickness of the EB X 2 or your template will be bigger than what you had planned not by much but it will grow in size. I hope this helps you out for future templates. Using MDF you will only need to sand the edges smooth and you will be all set. Happy templating! Peace, Shawn
Attachments:
MDF.jpg
Last edited by shawnsblues2 at Jul 14, 2009,
Actually the problem is there are no lumber yards in my town that I know of. I live right on the Mexican border so I could probably just drive over to Mexico and find some Mahogany for cheap.