So recently, me and my friend have formed this silly little psychedelic/experimental rock duo and I was wondering if anybody could reccommend me a good amp for this kind of music for playing school talent shows or small gigs?

Mostly it's a clean guitar sound we use, but sometimes we'll have a very weak distortion (Jimi Hendrix, Santana sort of stuff) for leads and more classic rock esque rhythms.

Thanks very much.
Budget?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I'd get a Valvetronix series Vox if I were you. My friend has one and I play a bunch of psychedelic stuff on it. It's got a very Edge meets David Gilmour sound, IMO.
Ah yeah sorry forgot.

Anything up to £300. Maybe £400 if it's really worth it.
I have a fender hot rod deluxe which has amazing cleans and you can get some decent distortion for what you're looking for out of it with the help of a good pedal. Not sure if it's quite within your budget, but you might be able to find one used.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by wtfmates342
I'd get a Valvetronix series Vox if I were you. My friend has one and I play a bunch of psychedelic stuff on it. It's got a very Edge meets David Gilmour sound, IMO.

I hate that amp Just didn't sound good to my ears Each to his own I guess Just proves you have to try the recommended amps out before buying.

EDIT: +1 to the above. Hot Rod Deluxes take pedals very well. If you can't find one used for that much i'd definatly recommend the Fender Blues Jr. Tis a great sounding small amp for cleans, takes pedals well and you can crank it without tearing down a wall
I like Beans.

Quote by Hypnotisation
Throw away old strings? Are you kidding me? They're the only thing that can strangle unicorns!

BE AFRAID OF THE MODIFIED BEAR!

I know I am
Last edited by chordios at Jul 12, 2009,
Laney VC50.
I'll look into those Fenders, as they seem to be the most reccommended. Not that I'll forget about the Vox or the Laney.
Quote by Oh Shize
I'll look into those Fenders, as they seem to be the most reccommended. Not that I'll forget about the Vox or the Laney.

To be honest man, I myself have used this website for gear suggestions and have had some pretty knowledgeable people give me advise, but the only true way to figure out what you want is to play through it at the store.

Sure, some suggestions here can get you looking in the right direction, but don't pass by something just because it wasn't recommended here. Talk to the guys at the store, they normally give good advise (depending on the area) and play through EVERYTHING.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Oh Shize

From the experience I've had with UK people, Fender is not a good value in the UK.

As far as the fender Hot Rod Series of amps (Blues Junior, Deluxe, Deville, Pro Junior), the only two that I really dig, personally, are the Pro and the Blues Deville (although I'd much rather a blues deluxe chassis in a 4x10 combo form, as opposed to the deville). And for the price they run, a 59 Bassman Reissue is a much better amp for the money.

I'm not recommending against Fender, but I will say that there are much better, cheaper options out there.

One other thing to look at is the Epiphone Blues Custom 30 (i think it's under the brand name Granger in the UK). I own one, and it is a very good, clean amp that responds well with a boost and well with fuzz.
Actually now that I think about it, I've played that Epiphone before. I can't remember if I thought it was any good or not, but I know that it's still in stock at my local guitar shop.

I'll go try it out again tommorrow, see if I like it.