Page 1 of 2
I'm ****ing pissed off. I paint my guitar, get everything hooked up, but WHAT THE ****ING HELL?! How the **** am I supposed to get the springs in the back without scratching the mother****er (newly painted, many scratches. FML). Do they matter? I think so. No sound is coming out. I soldered the killswitch onto the input where the other wires were coming out from (the other two). How the hell do I get the damn ****ers in. The springs in the back?

Yeah, I'm ****ing pissed
Are you talking about the springs in the back cavity for a tremolo?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
If the springs aren't in, then the bridge won't be grounded (ground wire goes to the spring claw) so it won't make any noise....amirite Jim?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Bridges/Tremolo_Spring_Installer.html

Like that.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 12, 2009,
Skeet, thanks

Without the cursing, the springs in the back cavity. How to get them in?
I don't have that tool . . . I'm trying with needle nose pliers
There is a yellow wire, also, coming from the volume potentiometer that goes to the back. I need to solder that onto the back metal (where the springs are connected. Not on the bridge, opposite of it), don't I?
You can use pliers to attach the springs. If you think you might scratch the paint, go buy some painters tape, and tape all around the area (just in case)
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Bluestribute
Skeet, thanks

There is a yellow wire, also, coming from the volume potentiometer that goes to the back. I need to solder that onto the back metal (where the springs are connected. Not on the bridge, opposite of it), don't I?

Do you have a wire clothes hanger that you can make that tool with?

There is normally a hole in the "screws end" of the rear trem route, in the corner etc, where a wire comes through. This is the ground wire.

This ground wire, needs to be soldered to the spring claw that is held in by the screws, then when the springs are on, it completes the circuit and grounds the strings.

That is my understanding of it, though I am no wiring expert.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 12, 2009,
dude just pull on it with your hand thats what i do, its not hard and the paint in the back dont matter whos gonna see it? nobody
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by Skeet UK
Do you have a wire clothes hanger that you can make that tool with?

There is normally a hole in the "screws end" of the rear trem route, in the corner etc.

This ground wire, needs to be soldered to the spring claw that is held in by the screws, then when the springs are on, it completes the circuit and grounds the strings.

That is my understanding of it, though I am no wiring expert.

Sounds good. Now to get a clothes hanger . . .
That's true, skeet, but it is not gonna cause a guitar to make no sound.

You porlly just wired something wrong or it's shorting to ground or something. If you get a bit of hum, it's bad wiring. Total silence is a short.
Quote by Bluestribute
Sounds good. Now to get a clothes hanger . . .

You can see how it works, it's hardly complicated.

By using pliers, the spring can slip out and you jam the pliers straight into the guitar, or stab your cat.
The spring is likely to slip out, because the pliers take up most of the bent bit, that you are trying to insert into the trem block.

Using the wire hook, it cant slip in the same way very easily.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Invader Jim
That's true, skeet, but it is not gonna cause a guitar to make no sound.

You porlly just wired something wrong or it's shorting to ground or something. If you get a bit of hum, it's bad wiring. Total silence is a short.

As I said, I am no expert. So grounding isn't essential for output, but will be noisy as hell if it isn't?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
You have to ground the jack, but you don't have to ground the strings.

I have a few guitars from the 60s that didn't have string grounds. Annoying as hell, because string grounding controls noise while playing.

Not essential, but highly reccomended.
Quote by Bluestribute
Total silence.

So, how to find and fix the short . . . ? Could it be the killswitch?

Yeah, try wiring it the other way around.

My idea of a kill switch, is that pressing it kills the sound, then it comes back when you release it?

Try pressing it when you play...
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Yeah, try wiring it the other way around.

My idea of a kill switch, is that pressing it kills the sound, then it comes back when you release it?

Try pressing it when you play...

Didn't work . . .

I think it might be the knobs. We had to stretch them. I'm going inside for a deeper look
Quote by Invader Jim
Check if the volume pot is still good. You may have cooked it if you heated it for too long.

The soldering was gay. It stuck to everything but the medal. I blame the solder wire

A singed wire could be it? The one from the input is singed. How to fix this though . . . just strip it I guess . . .
Try loosening the screws then tighten them back up with you get the spring on.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Invader Jim
Only amatures blame their tools

Just undo all of it, clean off the solder, and start from scratch as if they were new components.

So a singed wire . . . ****

We can't find the tools to get the nut off the input jack . . .
Quote by NGMF-Sam
dude just pull on it with your hand thats what i do, its not hard and the paint in the back dont matter whos gonna see it? nobody

Yeah, actually it can be hard. Especially if youre using higher gauge strings. For mine I would take a mini screwdriver and hook it under the spring and pull it up.

Quote by Woogles
Try loosening the screws then tighten them back up with you get the spring on.

This times a thousand.
Quote by Invader Jim
You don't have a wrench or a pair of pliers?

We kinda misplaced those temporarily . . .
i use pliers for springs. scratched my guitar once, but it's in the back. Who's going to know?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Bluestribute
Skeet, thanks

you can cut a small V in the tip of a flat blade screw driver and use that to push it in. just be careful not to scratch the paint in the back.

you can also back out the screws on the claw to make it easier
I got the springs but it doesn't work. My aunt and uncle, one an engineer one who makes factory machines (you know, like the ones who build cars) are coming over. I'll see if they can fix it.
Quote by Bluestribute
I'm ****ing pissed off. I paint my guitar, get everything hooked up, but WHAT THE ****ING HELL?! How the **** am I supposed to get the springs in the back without scratching the mother****er (newly painted, many scratches. FML). Do they matter? I think so. No sound is coming out. I soldered the killswitch onto the input where the other wires were coming out from (the other two). How the hell do I get the damn ****ers in. The springs in the back?

Yeah, I'm ****ing pissed
lol. children get frustrated. men examine and learn why things go wrong, then fix the problem.

Quote by Bluestribute
Skeet, thanks

not that expensive. you can also make one yourself.

also, you can loosen the screws a little at the other end so the strings don't have to stretch as far. then tighten after the springs are in place.

Quote by Bluestribute
Total silence.

So, how to find and fix the short . . . ? Could it be the killswitch?
At this point you should have your $5 multimeter set on resistance and be checking.
At the very least, you should use your eyes.
No one can tell by remote control without pictures which of the hundred ways you COULD mess this up, that you took to mess it up.

Quote by Bluestribute
Didn't work . . .

I think it might be the knobs. We had to stretch them. I'm going inside for a deeper look
lol. how do you stretch a knob???

Quote by Bluestribute
The soldering was gay. It stuck to everything but the medal. I blame the solder wire

A singed wire could be it? The one from the input is singed. How to fix this though . . . just strip it I guess . . .
i blame the guy who soldered.

Quote by Bluestribute
So a singed wire . . . ****

We can't find the tools to get the nut off the input jack . . .
why does this not surprise me?

Quote by Bluestribute
We kinda misplaced those temporarily . . .
this is why God did not make your head detachable.

Quote by Bluestribute
I got the springs but it doesn't work. My aunt and uncle, one an engineer one who makes factory machines (you know, like the ones who build cars) are coming over. I'll see if they can fix it.
If not, at least they can benefit from a laugh, too.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
What is with all this negativity on this forum? Always? I'm trying to figure out why this isn't working. Is it my fault it's already dark outside to fix it? I don't think so, but you probably think it's my fault- "You turned off the lights". Well, we don't have lights. You want me to install those too while I try to ask for help on a forum because my guitar isn't working after about 3 days?

God. If only they weren't getting DDoS'd . . .
Quote by Bluestribute
What is with all this negativity on this forum?
Not negativity. I'm having a laugh at your expense. You offer yourself up as a perfect target, so why not?

Quote by Bluestribute
Is it my fault it's already dark outside to fix it?
YES.

Quote by Bluestribute
I don't think so, but you probably think it's my fault- "You turned off the lights". Well, we don't have lights.
No. I think you should have started earlier and managed your time better. You'd have been done long before dark.

Quote by Bluestribute
You want me to install those too
No, please, NO.
Given your history, we wouldn't want you to burn your house down.

Quote by Bluestribute
while I try to ask for help on a forum because my guitar isn't working after about 3 days?
See that's the thing, Junior. We really don't care WHAT happened in your life the last 3 days. All that concerns us is what's happened since you made your OP. That and a description of the problem(s). (which was sketchy at best) And the pictures of the wiring. (which were non-existent)

But rather than be efficient about supplying details, you'd rather cuss and complain. Maybe that gets you somewhere with your parents and friends, idk. With us, not-so-much.

Less whining + more details = better result.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
^ You off my thread= me getting somewhere. I'd explain my situation, but than you would think you were cool and all that (which makes you look like a retard) and say "FIX IT!".

Now, that one guy was helping, but this ass made me forget who
You have no lights but you have a computer?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Bluestribute
^ You off my thread= me getting somewhere.
You taking my advice would get you much farther.

Quote by Bluestribute
I'd explain my situation, but than you would think you were cool and all that (which makes you look like a retard) and say "FIX IT!".
*then.

No, child. You explaining the details and providing pics would enable people to help rather than throw random possibilities at you.

But doing that would take more effort on your part.
That's why you didn't do it in the first place.
That's why you won't do it now.
Trying to use me as a scapegoat because you're setting out to take months to do what could be accomplished in minutes, was quite expected.

Quote by Bluestribute
nothing that happened before has been changed by my posts. if anyone helped you, their post is still right where it was.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Bluestribute
^ You off my thread= me getting somewhere. I'd explain my situation, but than you would think you were cool and all that (which makes you look like a retard) and say "FIX IT!".

haha. you have no idea man. SYK is one of the smartest people on UG especially in GBC. his manner of dealing with people with umm. dumb qustions is crude. but effective. just watch what your doing and dont be a jackass and screw it up. not that had to install springs.
Quote by Woogles
You have no lights but you have a computer?

Thats what I wondered. Electric lights are a far more essesntial human need than a computer...

TS: Springs have nothing to do with whether your guitar will "make a sound". That will be due to poor wiring. Best bet is to start again and get someone who isn't mentally unsound to help you, or better yet, do it for you.

Also, make sure you find a socket set or something for the hex nut on the jack.

Getting the springs can be a bit fustrating, but isn't too difficult. What I do is get a precision screw driver and use it to pull the spring back to the hole where I manually push it in with my hand. Anything like a metal screw driver that you can use to hook the spring will do.

Oh, and I guess from your posts that you're not a native english speaker so I'll excuse your rubbish grammar, spelling and excessive swearing.
what kind of solder did you use?

what exactly does stretching a tone knob mean?

did you know what you were doing before you started? did you follow a wiring diagram or anything and if so post it.
that smiley describes this thread perfectly
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Page 1 of 2