Hello all, I come seeking your collective wisdom. I am looking for a guitar combo amp around $300 US (185 GBP), with around 100watts. I have been looking at the Fender Frontman 212r and the Vox Valvetronix AD100VT-XL. What are your takes on these amps? Any other suggestions?
Why the heck do you need a 100 watts?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
you don't need 100w. your first thoughts should be to get the sound that you want, later thoughts should be on power. a good 30w tube combo will comfortably fill a hall up to about 1,000 people.

what music do you play? how much do you gig?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
what country are you in? i'm guessing the UK since you mentioned pounds, but obviously that's not completely conclusive.

what type of music do you play?

will you be gigging?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play mainly indie rock, and play out with a band a few times a month. I thought this was mainly a UK board, which is why I mentioned the pounds, but I live in the US.
Quote by demitriv
Why the heck do you need a 100 watts?

Noone really 'needs' 100 watts, but most combos in that power range are 2x12, which is the larger end for a 'gigging amp'.
Quote by Mister_Brown
I play mainly indie rock, and play out with a band a few times a month. I thought this was mainly a UK board, which is why I mentioned the pounds, but I live in the US.

oh, ok, there are people from all over the world on here, probably most from the USA actually.

that makes it a bit easier, prices tend to be lower in the states for guitar gear. if you're willing to go second-hand, you could maybe check out the peavey classic 30?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can usually find used crate 2x12s for around 150-200 also, they're not the most versitile, but take pedals/effects boards well, same for fenders.
I think a used Classic 30 would be good. If you tell us your nearest local city we'll try to find something on Craigslist for you.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
What kind of indie rock? Give us an example of a band you sound like/want to sound like.
I would stay away from the Fender Frontman series. The big question is what you are looking for, do you have your own effects or do you want a modeling amp. You might try looking into the Peavey Vipyr with trans tube technology. if your gunna go with Fender I would plan on spending more than 300$. Roland cube 60 is decent as well.
Last edited by Schecter-Steve at Jul 13, 2009,