Page 1 of 3
Erm Just a question Pit lurkers..

Am I being politically incorrect if I use the reference word of 'Paki' to relate to someone of asian specimen? or of India and Pakistan.

Seems to me that most white abbreviated slang terms like 'aussie' and 'brit' etc.. are harmless...

But if you shorten Pakistani to 'Paki' ... everyone gets their suicide belts at the ready and the Daily Mail have a field day.

Is this nanny state? and the suppressive engine of the minority (growing to majority)

What's your general consensus? Is it even racist?
What are Americans called? >_>
GEAR:
MiM Fender Stratocaster
Crate GLX212 120 Watt amp
Boss CH.......

You don't care do you?

CLUB SANDWICHES, NOT SEALS
IIIIIIIIIIIExplosions and Boobs. IIIIIIIIIIIII

...mmm, grass
Poeple from Pakistan are only called Paki's... if you called an indian a paki they would probably shoot you.
Quote by guitarmaniac327
What are Americans called? >_>

Yanks

Id say it's racist, no point trying to defend yourself otherwise. If they are from Pakistan, say Pakistani, if they are from the middle east, say their country of origin, or middle eastern?
I think I can call people what ever the hell I want.
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
Quote by vitchb
Yanks

Id say it's racist, no point trying to defend yourself otherwise. If they are from Pakistan, say Pakistani, if they are from the middle east, say their country of origin, or middle eastern?

Calling someone a "Paki" is not racist. Racist and offensive are not interchangable terms.
Check out my band Disturbed
If you call an asian person "Paki" it is very racist.

If you call a Pakistani person "paki" then it's racist/offensive, but as you say, I don't see why.
Quote by vitchb
Yanks

Oh...
GEAR:
MiM Fender Stratocaster
Crate GLX212 120 Watt amp
Boss CH.......

You don't care do you?

CLUB SANDWICHES, NOT SEALS
IIIIIIIIIIIExplosions and Boobs. IIIIIIIIIIIII

...mmm, grass
It's only racist, because people use it in a racist way:

"Paki Bastards" is something often heard unfortunately..

*looks at TS's user title*

and also you never hear anyone say "what a delightful Paki.." just to avoid harm, say pakistani..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Paki is commonly used as a derogatory term. Grow up and think a bit.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Yes. Paki is a term of abuse, at least here it is.

In a perfect world it would be fine (like no one thinks 'scot' or 'brit' is an insult) but it's clearly not because usually people say 'paki bastard'.

Also, clearly it would only be a term for Pakistanis. India not being pakistan...
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by StewieSwan
Calling someone a "Paki" is not racist. Racist and offensive are not interchangable terms.

So you think if i, a white person, called a black guy a n****r it wouldn't be racist? He IS black?
Quote by eazy-c
Paki is commonly used as a derogatory term. Grow up and think a bit.

Pretty much this.
It's not about the word itself. It's about how it's used.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by BrashPersona

Am I being politically incorrect if I use the reference word of 'Paki' to relate to someone of asian specimen? or of India and Pakistan.

I'm sure you would call an Asian person an Asian....
EGGEDIT:
It depends on the context in which you use the word.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

I personally roomed with qa Pakistani lad at uni.. he didnt mind been called "paki" by his friends, however i think its all down to context..

Seems to me that if it had never been used in a derogatory way in the first place it would be an acceptable word to use..

Imagine for instance if "Brit" was originally used in a derogatory way... things would be different
@dbostwick
Quote by vitchb
So you think if i, a white person, called a black guy a n****r it wouldn't be racist? He IS black?

Nope. You have a skewed definition of racism. But this is a debate for another time. I'm not gonna start this up again.
Yes, it's racist, but mostly in the way that most people I know use the word.

Quote by ElliotTW2K6
if you called an indian a paki they would probably shoot you.

Shut up.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Depends how the words are used. If they're used in a derogatory manner it could be considered racist. But if I referred to my friend as a Yank/Paki/Brit/whatever, people shouldn't be working up a sweat.

It's completely stupid how politically correct everyone's becoming. I work in a pub, and I often have to direct waiters to customers. If the customer is black, I daren't say "the black man", instead I have to give the colour of his shirt or something. Completely stupid.
Quote by StewieSwan
Nope. You have a skewed definition of racism. But this is a debate for another time. I'm not gonna start this up again.

Technically racist or not, it's an offensive and derogatory term, it shouldn't be used.

By the way 'yank' or 'brit' are not the same sort of nickname as 'paki'... as 'paki' is only really used in a negative context.
Last edited by vitchb at Jul 12, 2009,
Yeah, it is racist. It's not just an abbreviation like Brit is...
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Yeah, it is racist. It's not just an abbreviation like Brit is...

Yes it is?

Unless you're just referring to its obvious connotations?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by vitchb
Technically racist or not, it's an offensive and derogatory term, it shouldn't be used.

By the way 'yank' or 'brit' are not the same sort of nickname as 'paki'... as 'paki' is only really used in a negative context.

I thought I made it pretty clear in my post that I still consider it offensive.
Quote by StewieSwan
I thought I made it pretty clear in my post that I still consider it offensive.

It shouldn't make any difference then.
Quote by vitchb
It shouldn't make any difference then.

I didn't say it did. I just hate when people instantly think offensive and racist are the same thing. That spreads ignorance and people lose jobs over it.
Quote by StewieSwan
I didn't say it did. I just hate when people instantly think offensive and racist are the same thing. That spreads ignorance and people lose jobs over it.

Well i don't think people should care at the difference, if you loose a job over being racist, fair enough, if you loose a job over being offensive, fair enough.
To quote sickipedia:

Why is it offensive to call a Pakistani person a Paki? After all, it's just like calling an Australian person an Aussie, or a British person a Brit, or a Frenchman a cunt.

i'm french, it's cool
Quote by meh!
Yes it is?

Unless you're just referring to its obvious connotations?

Yeah, I'm referring to the connotations.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
paki is like ******. It's derogatory and offensive.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
I suppose I could get into a whole thing about how an inanimate object such as a word cannot be offensive, and only the intention of the person saying the word can give it such a label... Or I could say it is considered a pretty nasty racial slur. Going with Pakistani would be better.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I always figured that Paki would be just the same as Brit, Scot or Aussie. But since it was always used in a negative way, it stuck and is seen as racist. Where as Brit, Scot or Aussie are never really used as an insult.

EDIT: But yes I would definitely see why it is considered racist to refer to someone from India as a Paki.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by russiaininvader
IBTL.

um yeah, people from pakistan are totally different than people from india.
and obviously if its commonly used in a derogatory way then its a bad word to use.

Not "totally different." They lived in one country until 60 years ago...

Oscar Wilde
I'm what you'd call a paki and I'm not really offended by it. Mind you, I get called raghead now and then, and that doesn't offend me either. I just wish they'd cook bacon before they throw it at me. Anyway, the contraction in itself isn't racist, but the history of the term is. It's been used as a racist epithet for a long time, and gradually a stigma has become attached to it which people consider offensive, much the same way as we consider a given swear word offensive, e.g "fuck". People say it's an offensive word, but only because it has a history, and they've been told that it's offensive. If I start using "blocktofoo" as an epithet for black people without telling them what it means, I'd get some blank stares. If I called them niggers, I'd probably get a lawsuit, even though the word itself doesn't sound offensive.

Oh yeah, and for the record, calling an Indian a paki just makes you look like a twat, regardless of how they take it. It's like calling a Palestinian an Israeli.
Last edited by LordBishek at Jul 12, 2009,
Page 1 of 3