Hey

I know there's a hundred of these threads everyday so I'll make it short.

I had a Peavey Vypyr...loved playing around with it etc but a week ago it died on me. When I get my replacement I'm going to sell it and get invest in a new one because, whilst the peavey is incredibly versatile I'm more and more getting to know the sort of tone I'm after, and the sort of effects I use so a modelling amp is becoming a bit redundant.

I play in a classic rock / metal covers band so mainly playing Metallica, Maiden / NWOBHM stuff, but definitely prefer the 'hetfield tone', specifically Master of Puppets-era stuff...and I absolutely love the rhythm tone on Orion...I could never get it precise enough on the Vypyr.

So I need a tube amp (It really does have to be tube...I tried a few in a store and loved the feel / responsiveness etc + I have EMGs so want to get the most out of them)
that satisfies the following:

- Around £450-600 ($800-1100)
- Suitable for small-medium sized gigs in a 5pc band. From what I hear about tube amps 30-50 should be fine?
- Rectifier-like tone: liquidy, smooth
- Good cleans
- Preferably a combo

I tried a Peavey Valveking, this is the only tube amp I have played and I really liked it compared to the Vypyr...but I've heard that there are better amps out there within a similar price range .

I like the sound of the Randall RG50-TC; it had good professional reviews, but there seems to be some controversy about its tone on user reviews.

I love the idea of the Randall MTS series; swappable preamps but theyre out of my price range unless I can find a second hand one

Other than that I've just heard of Blackstar / Bugera amps but am not sure...

Thanks for help
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
i wouldn't recommend a valveking at that price - you can definitely do better at those price since valvekings are decidedly budget tube amps.

You wouldn't go far wrong with a marshall DSL at the top of your price bracket if you're looking for a classic rock metal sort of sound. A used peavey 6505 might work for you too, though i've not played one in a couple of years so can't remember them too well.

maybe look in to mesa too.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
i would say look around for a 5150 combo and i've heard that Bugera gotten their selves together so you might a good amp in them. i would say just go to like a sam ash/GC and just play everything and see if they have a demo room since thats usually were they keep the good amps.
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
if your like a rectifier tone get a new bugera 333xl
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
The Bugera seems like the obvious choice, as would a Valveking with a speaker swap (so I've heard!). The Randall RG50 used to be the "go to" recommendation for any metal player before Bugera came out, and is still an extremely worthy choice, especially for teh br00talZ. Looking for a used 5150 is probably going to give you the best metal tone, but not so much cleans. A wildcard here could be the Line 6 Spider Valve. If you play covers, then an amp like this would be perfect, for metal and most other genres. Personally, I'd take a Trademark 60 over it but that's just me.
Randall RM50/80 w/ Ultra XL/Blackface/JTM Modules
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
wow cheers for all the replies

I overlooked that Bugera 333 212...assuming it would be too expensive but goddamn its so much cheaper than I thought! And looking at the specs it sounds practically orgasmic - only question, would a 120W tube amp be good to use at home as well? Just seems like overkill...which for the price is fine so long as I can control it somehow!
Gear
120W Bugera 333 Amp

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Quote by PuppetMaster91
wow cheers for all the replies

I overlooked that Bugera 333 212...assuming it would be too expensive but goddamn its so much cheaper than I thought! And looking at the specs it sounds practically orgasmic - only question, would a 120W tube amp be good to use at home as well? Just seems like overkill...which for the price is fine so long as I can control it somehow!

For music relying more on pre-amp distortion, like Metallica, it will be fine for home use - I think.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Randall RM50/80 w/ Ultra XL/Blackface/JTM Modules

Alfred, what planet do you live on. Do you know how much a Randall RM costs over here?

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/22481-randall-rm50-1x12-combo-with-black-front.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

There's more to how an amp is priced abroad than changing this symbol $ to this one £ .
Yup Mesas / the MTS series are waay overpriced here in the UK otherwise I'd get myself one

These Bugeras look really nice though...although one comes with 6L6 and one with EL34 power tubes - can anyone highlight the main differences? I've used the search function but couldn't find just a nice simple answer. From what I hear 6L6's would be more suited as less midrange, more bottom end -> more 'chug'?
Gear
120W Bugera 333 Amp

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
DOn't shoot me.

My two pence, are a JCM900.

Why??
Because under the skin its versatile and does both ends of the spectrum well.
I would quite like a JCM900, or at least to try one out but there's ultimately no point because its out of my price range anyway

Cheapest I've seen it for is £700 on eBay, and then I'd need to get a cab for it taking the total to around a grand, whereas my max is probably around £700-£800
Gear
120W Bugera 333 Amp

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Quote by greggybhoy

Alfred, what planet do you live on. Do you know how much a Randall RM costs over here?

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/22481-randall-rm50-1x12-combo-with-black-front.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

There's more to how an amp is priced abroad than changing this symbol $ to this one £ .

Then i suggest going for a USED RM20
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Then i suggest going for a USED RM20

Still too expensive. They are £800 or thereabouts new - and I think that's without modules. Finding one used for under £500 would be miraculous. Also, as they are new (and rare over here) you are far less likely to find a used one.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Jul 14, 2009,
Ha, i'll do one of my searches in a bit, see wjhat i can come back with..
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
you're kind of at a strange budget, there (not your fault)- you've got too much money to be making do with something like a peavey valveking, but you don't really have enough to get into the really nice amps either.

something like a marshall jvm, engl screamer or laney tt50c might be worth considering- they're all over budget, though. However, you sometimes see ex-demo/new old stock laney tt50c combos available for under your budget, so that might be the way to go.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Will you go used? If so a Laney AOR and a few good pedals would make a great classic rock/metal setup. Or just get a used Line 6 Vetta >_>