I've noticed recently that my downpicking isn't really up to scratch and i need to improve it.
Is there any particular way to practice downpicking specifically or will alternate picking practice improve my downpicking just as much? My downpicking right now is pretty slow and I don't have much stamina for is compared to how long I can alternate pick for.
I did search but it seemed all the results were debates or about Master of Puppets.
well i dunno what to say but practice master of puppets
down picking speed comes with practice so don't sweat it ud eventually get it
Quote by webbtje
Dully enough, metronome and slowly speeding up, sorry.

Thought that'd probably be the best way to do it. Thanks
My forearm is going to be shattered
I'm struggling to do so.

But your peek at alternate picking is just the half of your down side.

So if you improve your downpicking, your alternate will be improved as well.
Quote by damnphrophet
I'm struggling to do so.

But your peek at alternate picking is just the half of your down side.

So if you improve your downpicking, your alternate will be improved as well.

And, in the same way, vice versa.
Quote by learntolove6
And, in the same way, vice versa.

Yeah, but it's already easier to reach higher speeds at alternate improving first downside picking.
Let's say your peek at downside is 8's at 160.
Probably your peek at alternate is 16's at 160.
So if you practice first downside, you will be improving both at the same time, and it will be quicker.
lol, it's funny when people say "use your wrist!" "don't use your wrist!" "what ever you do, use your elbow!!!"

The only thing that really improves your down picking is practice and LOTS of repetition. However you pick is up to you, as long as you feel comfortable with it.

What helps me build down picking speed is:
down down up
down down down up
down down up down up
down up down down up
and any combination helps, and not everything has to be 4-4 timing.

All repeating over and over until you get the hang of it. When you're starting it helps to ignore speed (I know it sounds counter productive) but the most important thing is to get the motion down. Start off with a slow tempo, and play that for 5 minutes, then move up slowly by increments. This really helps build up your picking technique and your speed at the same time, as well as familiarizing yourself with different combinations of down picking to alternate picking.
To add what people have already said, use your wrist, and a metronome. If you feel any tension/pain/discomfort while doing this stop IMMEDIATELY. Shake it out and give yourself a 10 - 20 second break.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012