Blind Faith
2 2%
Solo Career
14 11%
Other (Post here)
3 2%
Voters: 124.
Page 1 of 2
In your opinions, what is the best work Mr. Clapton has ever done? I think we all agree that he is one of the best, and his career has been very long. I think I just about covered all the bases.

I voted for the Yardbirds
Cream. Not only was his soloing at peak inventiveness live, But he also helped make them a fantastic Pop Group In the Studio, what with Vocals Like Strange Brew and the middle sixteen of white room. personally I cant stand his tone with the yardbirds, with the exception of A certain Girl...
This isn't even a contest in my opinion. Derek and the Dominos.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by BrainDamage
This isn't even a contest in my opinion. Derek and the Dominos.

Why do you say that? Other than layla (Which is probably my favorite clapton song) what was so great?
Cream for me, I felt that was when he really explored and had some creativity, d&d is 2nd, but if we're talking about clapton's playing, it doesn't hold up to early cream imo. (Still love d&d). Bluesbreakers is third for me just because of the amount of influence on other guitarists, but I've never managed to really get into it
Quote by Gibson06
Why do you say that? Other than layla (Which is probably my favorite clapton song) what was so great?
Hmm, let's see...

- Though nearly every song is very good, the run of Anyday/Key To The Highway/Tell The Truth/Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?/Have You Ever Loved A Woman/Little Wing is just ridiculous.
- That Layla song is pretty good too.
- Thorn Tree In The Garden. And I quote Bobby Whitlock's wife: "Just to let you know..."Thorn Tree in the Garden" was written about Bobby's puppy that was put down. He was living in the Plantation with all those people, Chuck Blackwell, Francine, Indian Ed Davis (part time) Jimmy Carstein , Billy Doyle (who had one leg), Kay Poorboy...there was alot of people going in and out of that house. People coming and going Taj Mahal, Leon Russell, Gary Lewis...Bobby was told by someone at the house that he would have to get rid of his dog and cat...so he gave his cat to Delaney's mom and when he got back home his dog was gone, he asked what had happened to it, and was told that the puppy had been "taken care of" (put down). Bobby went and cried...and instead of going and beating that guy up...he sat and wrote "Thorn Tree in the Garden". He played it to the person...and said "Everytime you hear this song , you will remember what you did to my little dog". At that time he was unaware that it would be on one of the greatest R&R records ever made." Think about that the next time you listen to the song. You can hear the grief in Whitlock's voice. On another note, the song was recorded in one take, with the band sitting in a circle around a mic.
- It's a very personal album, and you can tell. It's not called Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs for nothing.
- This album features Clapton's best playing in my opinion. EDIT: On second thought, the Bluesbreakers album is a contender too.
- Clapton's filthy Strat tone.
- Some guy named Duane Allman.
Quote by Thefallofman
^Couldn't agree more.

Didn't know that about Whitlock though, I usually stop the album right after "Layla". I'll be listening next time.

Much respect to Tom Dowd...
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Only one of his bands included Skydog.

I voted accordingly.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I figure amongst all the Cream voting I should argue for his solo career, which will be hard because Cream is also very great.
-Fresh Cream, Disraeli Gears, Wheels Of Fire and Goodbye VS Eric Clapton, 461 Ocean Boulevard, Slowhand, Journeyman, From The Cradle, Riding With The King, Sessions For Robert J, The Rainbow Concert, Unplugged, Live From Madison Square Garden and The Crossroads Guitar Festivals.
-Clapton has more freedom to express himself without complaints from the band.
-Clapton's guitar playing has just gotten better and better over the years.
-He only released 1 album with John Mayall, Derek and The Dominoes, and Blind Faith.
-It goes without saying that his solo work, and all his other work, is better than his Yardbirds stuff. Good songs but it can't even compare to the rest of his career.
-The Dirty Mac only recorded one song, that wasn't released until 28 years later.
The recent Clapton/Winwood stuff is hands down the best playing I've ever heard from him.
Hey, I'm Mike.
I consider Clapton's solo career to be quantity over quality. He has had some great stuff in his solo career, and some pretty bad stuff.

As far as quality: Cream, Derek & the Dominoes, and Blind Faith were all fairly flawless.
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
i think derek and the dominos was his best work. imo, his voice was great on the album and his playing was great as well. cream was good, but he still lacked some experience. with the dominos, he had more experience and i think he played better than with cream. with cream he got a little repetitive but with the dominos he branched out more.

plus, layla is my favorite song ever and i relate to it a lot with my life. the whole album is great imo.

his solo career had some great stuff too like unplugged and from the cradle.
Cream/ Bluesbreakers was probably his best work as a solo guitarist. But his best work as a musician/ his best songs/ best band with him would have been Derek & the Dominoes/ Blind Faith. I think that he thrives when playing alongside another great guitarist ala Duane and Winwood
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
Last edited by Dchild042 at Jul 20, 2009,
I think if Clapton's dream for Cream, which involved Steve Winwood joining to help the band stay together, had come true I would have voted for Cream. I also think if I owned Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs I would have voted Derek.
This thread seriously makes me

ONE other person voted for Bluesbreakers? Wtf. Clapton's playing on the Beano album was impeccable and easily blows away anything he recorded with Cream (in terms of playing guitar) At least if we're talking about Clapton the player, as opposed to Clapton the songwriter. Not to mention he introduced one of the greatest guitar tones to the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmh0AcrKczc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1eG6Pad8yo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUEtCBhn_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-tz06BKWvc
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by Altered_Carbon
The Dirty Mac.

NICE!

but seriously Cream

Blind Faith would have been if they could have lasted maybe two more albums, but that woulda never happened.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
I think the awesome-ness of Derek and the Dominos had more to do with Duane. I always thought Clapton's playing was very held-back on the album... a pattern he continued throughout a lot of his solo career.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Cream with Beano at 2. Other than that I don't like Clapton. I just looked up Dirty Mac this is ****ing amazing. Is it just Yer Blues? Is there a boot and album what?
Last edited by fattypumbaa at Jul 17, 2009,
After buying Layla and listening to Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire at a friends, I have changed my mind it is now in this order.

1. Derek and The Dominoes
2. Cream
3. Blues breakers or solo depending on my mood

I still need to listen Blind Faith, all I know is Presence of the Lord and to be quite honest that doesn't set expectations very high. It's a good song, but it pales in comparison to some of Clapton, Winwood and Ginger's other works.
Quote by cornmancer
After buying Layla and listening to Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire at a friends, I have changed my mind it is now in this order.

1. Derek and The Dominoes
2. Cream
3. Blues breakers or solo depending on my mood

I still need to listen Blind Faith, all I know is Presence of the Lord and to be quite honest that doesn't set expectations very high. It's a good song, but it pales in comparison to some of Clapton, Winwood and Ginger's other works.

You've gotta listen to some 'goodbye' too
Quote by Thefallofman
I think the awesome-ness of Derek and the Dominos had more to do with Duane. I always thought Clapton's playing was very held-back on the album... a pattern he continued throughout a lot of his solo career.
As a listener, I love some of Clapton's solos and leads (especially in Anyday, and I Looked Away), and they are just very satisfying in the context of the songs.

The most unrestrained I ever heard Clapton was on the Beano version of "Steppin' Out," had a very similar vibe to Jimmy Page's blues playing on that recording.

I don't know what I don't like about Clapton's playing with Cream. There are bits and pieces that I like but I just don't think that he was as great on any of Cream's records as he was on "Bluesbreakers," not to say that Clapton wasn't still great with Cream, I always felt like that with Cream, Clapton's true playing only ever came out live during those more free flowing jams and improvisations, but that frantic, aggressive, and powerhouse kind of sound that he had just never came across on any of their studio albums, but it was everywhere on "Bluesbreakers"
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by al112987

I don't know what I don't like about Clapton's playing with Cream. There are bits and pieces that I like but I just don't think that he was as great on any of Cream's records as he was on "Bluesbreakers,"
Agreed. I thought he was good with Cream, but he was great with with Derek and the Dominos and on the Bluesbreakers album.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by cornmancer
All I know is Presence of the Lord and to be quite honest that doesn't set expectations very high.

Get out.

When you listen to the albums, you'll understand. Though in comparison Winwood owned that album more than Eric.

EDIT: Given, they only had 6 songs. I'm just really attached to that album for numerous reasons.
His solos on Had to Cry Today and Presence of the Lord far outshine most of his Cream stuff I believe. As does most of Beano.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Last edited by A Rolling Stone at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by fattypumbaa
Cream with Beano at 2. Other than that I don't like Clapton. I just looked up Dirty Mac this is ****ing amazing. Is it just Yer Blues? Is there a boot and album what?

the only thing i know of is the Rollin Stones Circus CD/DVD

the dirty mac does another performance, dont remember the name, but its pretty much a blues with yoko doin her thing...
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by A Rolling Stone
Get out.

When you listen to the albums, you'll understand. Though in comparison Winwood owned that album more than Eric.

EDIT: Given, they only had 6 songs. I'm just really attached to that album for numerous reasons.
His solos on Had to Cry Today and Presence of the Lord far outshine most of his Cream stuff I believe. As does most of Beano.

It's good but both have done far superior songs.

Edit: Just listened to Beano again today, he seems to just unleash everything he had on the guitar. I still think Derek is the best, but I think now it's

1. Derek
2. Cream or Beano
3. Solo

His solo is great but A) Even though there are a lot of great albums, From the Cradle and Unplugged = ****ing incredible albums, there have been a lot of average albums to, Pilgrim and Me and Mr. J = Meh, and some that have aren't good at all, Backless = why even listen when there's so much better stuff. Also B) I love his solo, but I just love every thing else more. Just imagine if Duane didn't die and they made more. Although it would be hard to handle 2 bands.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^Must resist saying "Hey little thing let me light your candle"
Last edited by cornmancer at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by al112987
This thread seriously makes me

ONE other person voted for Bluesbreakers? Wtf. Clapton's playing on the Beano album was impeccable and easily blows away anything he recorded with Cream (in terms of playing guitar) At least if we're talking about Clapton the player, as opposed to Clapton the songwriter. Not to mention he introduced one of the greatest guitar tones to the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmh0AcrKczc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1eG6Pad8yo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUEtCBhn_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-tz06BKWvc

his tone was great on that. but his playing although great as well, still lacked experience. he repeats many ideas through all of the songs. when i listen to derek and the dominos for example, which i think is his best work, you can hear he has evolved a lot more as a player. to me anyway, the playing on the layla album has more passion and fire in it. maybe because he was so madly in love with patty who knows. to me, he sounds more "into it" than the stuff before. but solos like the one on "have you ever loved a woman" and "why does love got to be so sad" are just much more evolved than the beno album playing and cream playing.

even clapton today i think is better. to me, i think the experience has a lot to do with it. i find with cream again he repeated a lot of ideas and almost at times seemed to be "going through the motions". i find that after the beno album and cream, he seemed to let himself out a little more. maybe it was because he wasnt too concerned with being a virtuoso but just wanted to make good music.

also, with the beno album he was pretty much a blues purist at the time. thats all he wanted to do. and to me, it shows. he sounds pretty strict in his blues playing. as time grew on, he moved away from "pure" blues. so again, more evolved. thats how i see it anyway.
Its weird that Cream is winning this poll although Clapton has stated numerous times his dislike of his work in the Cream era.
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
Beano album = ****ing tops, but I feel he was pushed further in cream and his playing evolves a lot from strict blues playing, so many awesome solos in his cream years
I think his stuff with Cream and his Derek & The Dominoes album are similar, but I think that not only did he progress as a guitar player by the time they started recording Layla and he had a lot more emotion in his playing. Beano is great to, in fact all his early stuff is really good. I have listened to 5 Live Yardbirds and really think I should buy it at some point, it's a really great album.
I said solo career, 461 ocean blvd. is in my top ten favorite records, and another ticket is probably somehwere in my top 50

but I think 461 just showed a whole new creativity and new opportunities for him. The tone was exelent, the playing was excelent, its energetic and rock n roll, but still bluesy.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
his tone was great on that. but his playing although great as well, still lacked experience. he repeats many ideas through all of the songs. when i listen to derek and the dominos for example, which i think is his best work, you can hear he has evolved a lot more as a player. to me anyway, the playing on the layla album has more passion and fire in it. maybe because he was so madly in love with patty who knows. to me, he sounds more "into it" than the stuff before. but solos like the one on "have you ever loved a woman" and "why does love got to be so sad" are just much more evolved than the beno album playing and cream playing.

even clapton today i think is better. to me, i think the experience has a lot to do with it. i find with cream again he repeated a lot of ideas and almost at times seemed to be "going through the motions". i find that after the beno album and cream, he seemed to let himself out a little more. maybe it was because he wasnt too concerned with being a virtuoso but just wanted to make good music.

also, with the beno album he was pretty much a blues purist at the time. thats all he wanted to do. and to me, it shows. he sounds pretty strict in his blues playing. as time grew on, he moved away from "pure" blues. so again, more evolved. thats how i see it anyway.
Probably see things differently, I love the Bluesbreakers stuff because of how raw it was, and his playing during the early days was just more aggressive and up front. I mean, carried some of it through to Derek and the Dominoes, but imo it just lacked that sledgehammer to the face attack of the Bluesbreakers stuff that I love. Idk, I just really like that kind of playing, same reason why I dig Jimmy Page's early live stuff.
Quote by Dchild042
Its weird that Cream is winning this poll although Clapton has stated numerous times his dislike of his work in the Cream era.
Mainly because most people who voted aren't familiar with Clapton's stuff outside of Cream and random assorted hits from throughout his career.

I honestly do not see what was so great about Cream. Some of their music was just plain... ugh. Listening to them jam to Steppin' Out is pretty cool, and Crossroads was always awesome no matter what, they have a ton of slow, plodding, uninspired music that just isn't that good. Especially a lot of their studio stuff, especially on Clapton's part. Live stuff is great though, Clapton really let it rip in a way that he never did on Cream's albums.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Probably see things differently, I love the Bluesbreakers stuff because of how raw it was, and his playing during the early days was just more aggressive and up front. I mean, carried some of it through to Derek and the Dominoes, but imo it just lacked that sledgehammer to the face attack of the Bluesbreakers stuff that I love. Idk, I just really like that kind of playing, same reason why I dig Jimmy Page's early live stuff.

well in terms of his best work, i also took into account what i think some of his best songs were regardless of guitar playing. to me i feel the layla album was his best stuff over all in terms of singing, writing and guitar playing. i put guitar playing last because its hard to pinpoint what his best guitar work was. ive heard a lot of his recent playing that i think blows away what he's done in the past. but then i hear some older stuff that he just cant or wont do anymore. so guitar wise its hard for me to say. but i still feel the layla album guitar playing is a bit more evolved and maybe not as "pure blues" as the bluesbreakers album. maybe thats why you like the beno album more though.

im not trying to degrade that album though as it is one of my favorite albums/most influential albums.
Page 1 of 2