i just got some elixir 12 gauge strings on my acoustic guitar, and they sound like a electric guitar unplugged, really metal sounding, Is that normal? and they are acoustic strings
well, it all depends on the metal composition, like how much copper, phosphorous, zinc, nickel ect. they have

electric strings have more nickel for it's magnetic properties while acoustic strings have more copper and phosphorous for a warm tone, the balance of these metals affect tone
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jul 12, 2009,
They are very bright. I prefer them to most brands to be honest but was broke this month so I bought Martin ones. My Taylor came with them stock so I suppose it was the sound that sold me on the guitar but they are not for everyone. The brightness will calm down, but in the meantime, try and appreciate a brighter sound and work with it. Some songs will probably now sound better. Bear in mind that Elixir and some other companies now make these coated longlife strings, and they make more than one type too. Next time round, see if you can find ones made with different metals.
IMO, Elixir strings sound horrible. And when the coating starts peeling off they feel horrible too. Try Cleartone if you want coated strings. They sound much better on my electrics than Elixirs so I'm assuming their acoustic offerings would also sound better.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
IMO, Elixir strings sound horrible. And when the coating starts peeling off they feel horrible too.

That hasn't happened to me in ages. Maybe they've changed something in the manufacturing because I remember the coating stripping before, but I've never had a problem in the past 2 years with Elixirs. Maybe I'm just lucky?

I haven't tried any of the other long life strings yet, for some reason they are always about another £5 more than Elixirs are.
I haven't used them in 2 years so it's possible they changed their formula. Ah, the Cleartones are cheaper at my local store.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs