Hey,

So, my trusty CD player finally bit the dust. That being said, I'm looking into an MP3 player of some kind. I've been a CD player person just because I own so many CDs and it seemed only practical.

2 days ago I bought an "Philips" 4GB multimedia player of some kind... and is currently frozen on a screen (There was another issue yesterday)... It was $40 dollars refurb, so I'm not entirely surprised.

Can anyone give me a few suggestions for audio players?

Preferred specs:

- Relatively cheap
- Simple
- I'd prefer if it played .wav, aswell as simple mp3 (This way I don't have to spend time ripping CDs).

- I'm interested in players with larger storage ability (4GB is not nearly enough, but if it's the only way to go... then I will settle.)

I'd prefer not to spend more than $150ish.

I'm open to buying used.

Throw me some names/models Pit!
Quote by shameonthenight
8gb ipod nano

yeah go with that. Its only 150 and plays video
An iPod shuffle works.
They're pretty cheap.

Or as shameonthenight said, 8GB iPod nano.
If you're having a threesome with a lady friend and the guy comes up behind you and starts tickling your balls, can you file for sexual harassment?

Quote by Eddie4President
You don't know me.

But every time I see your profile name, I get a hard on.
you JUST now converted to mp3?

If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Wav files take up LOADS more space than mp3. I'd strongly advise ripping your collection. It'll be less hassle than constantly changing wav files around.
Quote by GODhimself37

GTFO.

Not everyone wants an MP3 / has the money + he gave his reasons.

8GB Ipod nano, I'd say.

Maybe a Zune or Walkman?
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by GODhimself37

I converted a month ago, and I still prefer to listen to my CD's. WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW?!

And to TS, do you want something to store your entire record collection, or will you periodically add and remove songs?

If you want something cheap with loads of capacity, check out Archos.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by IWantYourBallz
An iPod shuffle works.
They're pretty cheap.

Shuffles are awful. Why would I want to use a player that won't even let me decide what to listen to, really?

Nano sounds like what you need.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=15306

its a nice small mp3 that fits in your palm, it does play video, but the screen issmall so its not great but eh. i got the 4gb for 100$ about a 1 1/2 years ago so its prob a bit cheaper now. the thing is also practically indestructable. i dropped mine from about 25-30 feet, it had a little scratch on the back, nothing wrong with it at all. plus it ahs this really awesome line-in recording thing. you just plug one end of the cable into the mp3 player, other end into a headphone jack in a cd player or computer. and play the song you want recorded. and record right through it. i just go to youtube and record songs i dont have that way so i dont have to download and risk getting viruses.

only thing is i cant find a place to buy it on thier site...lol
Quote by edgeyyz
It's like everyone's getting laid and I'm the only virgin...

Quote by Nunwhxre 666
I now dub thee, Fapking.

Bow down to the Fapking!

Shoop Group!
Quote by SteveHouse
Shuffles are awful. Why would I want to use a player that won't even let me decide what to listen to, really?

Nano sounds like what you need.

That's why they're cheap.
Ha.
If you're having a threesome with a lady friend and the guy comes up behind you and starts tickling your balls, can you file for sexual harassment?

Quote by Eddie4President
You don't know me.

But every time I see your profile name, I get a hard on.
Quote by sashki
I converted a month ago, and I still prefer to listen to my CD's. WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW?!

And to TS, do you want something to store your entire record collection, or will you periodically add and remove songs?

Thanks for the responses everyone! (I've been looking into ipods and Zunes, but I want to keep my eyes open because I realize they are a name-tag).

Storing my entire record collection would be terrific, but if the price isn't right, then I'm fine with adding/removing content.

*To those who suggested ipod shuffles.

I would like something with a screen (Or at least some method of knowing how to sort through my collection)
Quote by sandoval
eh if you want decent storage with amazing sound/video, look at cowon s9, but you might need to increase your budget (16gb will run you about $200 US)
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/s9/

or save up for a zune HD coming in september

thats onlys 200$ for 16bg?? holy **** that thing looks awesome!

is it touch screen too? it looks like it is but i cant find anyhting saying it is.
Quote by edgeyyz
It's like everyone's getting laid and I'm the only virgin...

Quote by Nunwhxre 666
I now dub thee, Fapking.

Bow down to the Fapking!

Shoop Group!
Quote by sandoval
eh if you want decent storage with amazing sound/video, look at cowon s9, but you might need to increase your budget (16gb will run you about $200 US)
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/s9/

or save up for a zune HD coming in september

My dad's friend repairs ipods for some spending money and said that Cowon is the way to go for sound quality...

Might be a tad expensive though...
Quote by roshjosh
My dad's friend repairs ipods for some spending money and said that Cowon is the way to go for sound quality...

Might be a tad expensive though...

Yea, and they are damn hard to find up in Canada.
I've been looking at reviews for the samsung P3, Cowon s9, Sony X-1000, and the iriver Spinn, and all of them are great PMPs. You might want to take a look at those as well.

^^
The S9 is touch screen, along with dedicated play/forward/reverse and volume controls
Last edited by sandoval at Jul 12, 2009,
If you want more than 4/8gb for that price, look into the larger Zunes and iPods on ebay, used of course. New 80g iPods are like 250, so you should be able to find a used one for roughly what you're looking to spend.
Exar Kun of the UG Jedi Order, PM tamargoguitar to join!!

I like you, but you're crazy. Oh look, a flying monkey....

I fart in your general direction. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
if your in Canada try and find the 120 GB Zune at bestbuy or Future shop.

They are so cheap for what they are, about $200, and come with so many accessories depending on the deal in store. I was going to buy one but they ran out and haven't ordered any in. Huge colour glass screen, and enough memory for as many CDs as you can buy.

honestly don't buy used. your just throwing money away, because no matter what condition its in, the battery will still be ****ed. And cheaper is not better when it comes to MP3 players!
Let us know what you end up with, TS

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)