I have been messing around on a guitar for awhile, but I want to start actually learning songs and stuff. I need suggestions on what guitar and amp I should buy to start learning. Interested in Heavy Metal, Metallica is my favorite band. So I want to learn Stuff like that. I willing to spend like 500 dollars for both the amp and the guitar combined.
Last edited by Alm3ga at Jul 12, 2009,
scratch that i missed part of it, well the micro cube will work and pick whatever guitar feels the best in your hands, I like strats, my friend likes LPs, and his cousin likes Teles. for what you want try to look at guitars with a humbucker in the bridge though. And you'll probably want to avoid floyd roses unless no other guitar compares in playability, and you don't mind really annoying maintenance
Last edited by kurtebirdi at Jul 12, 2009,
Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 5W 1x8 Tube Combo Amp - $199
Epiphone G-400 Electric Guitar - $349

A bit over your budget but you won't be disapointed. This gear will last you for ages.

@2 people above me, why get a vypyr, they sound bland and you can get a nice tube combo for the same price.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Jul 12, 2009,
I'd say a Vypyr is good, I'm not a beginner and it still sounds good to me...and it's pretty simple to use.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
From what ive tried of beginners gear (i started playing guitar in 1993 and the choices then were not as good believe me!)

Guitars Schecter blackjack...good value and its a good cross between an easy playing shred guitar and something more substantial and reliable

if not

Epiphone Special

really bare bones but it is all you need. I did a tour with one as a backup and it hardly even went out of tune.

Blackheart 1w amp

Great tone and you can crank it. If you play live micing it up is not a problem so dont feel you need a half stack!

Crate V series 5w

or

Roland Micro Cube
I like the first setup. Right at $500 Guitar Looks nice, has good pickups. Not sure if I like the fixed bridge cause i'd like to do some squealies, but it probably sounds better being fixed. Not to smart when it comes to amps so idk, but I like how you can have effects and stuff.
Quote by Alm3ga
I like the first setup. Right at $500 Guitar Looks nice, has good pickups. Not sure if I like the fixed bridge cause i'd like to do some squealies, but it probably sounds better being fixed. Not to smart when it comes to amps so idk, but I like how you can have effects and stuff.

You can get a floyd but it will go out of tune every 5 minutes at your price range and you will kill yourself trying to set it up properly 10 times a day.

i would still look at a tube amp, you get the effects and then never use them. I was thinking the same thing. Also at $200 you get 12 effects, they won't be good quality. The tubescreamer stompbox is basically just a trebble and gain boost, it sounds terrible. The only effect I would want on an amp is an acoustic simulator, which peavey failed to give us.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Alm3ga

You can do pinch harmonics on a fixed bridge guitar just as easily as on a guitar with a whammy bar.
Quote by Frosted Flakes
You can do pinch harmonics on a fixed bridge guitar just as easily as on a guitar with a whammy bar.

I know this, but you can't do them like Dimebag can.
Quote by random_B-RAD
You can get a floyd but it will go out of tune every 5 minutes at your price range and you will kill yourself trying to set it up properly 10 times a day.

i would still look at a tube amp, you get the effects and then never use them. I was thinking the same thing. Also at $200 you get 12 effects, they won't be good quality. The tubescreamer stompbox is basically just a trebble and gain boost, it sounds terrible. The only effect I would want on an amp is an acoustic simulator, which peavey failed to give us.

What would be a good tube amp for 200 - 300 dollars?