Hi, so, I'm looking for a guitar and an amp, I've started self-teaching guitar about a week ago on a Classical guitar I had for 7 years (I was 13 at the time, I had 2 months of classes with a very bad teacher which made me lose interest, but I did pickup and retained the basics of playing a classical guitar, such as postures and basic fingerpicking and such);

so, my interest has turned over to electric guitar: somewhere on a modern rock - electric blues - indie/alt rock, some power/melodic metal (since I was those said 13 :P); somewhere along those lines.

After this background, my question comes as such: What to buy? - budget is currently 350€ MAXIMUM (488 dollars according to google), aesthetically, I'd rather go for a strat-like model, but researching around the net has broadened my tastes to a tiny bit of LP/SG models, but strats are still prefered;

I'm almost 100% dead set on a Yamaha Pacifica 112vcx - This is because there's a store near that is doing a bundle on the Pacifica 112VCX + Pevey Vypyr 15 + accessories like tuner, picks, gigbag, etc; for 349€ (Guitar is 260€ and Vypyr is 110€ at that store as separate);

The reason I haven't bought it yet is: I'm really not sure on the amp, would it be good for the style of music I like? Should I buy another (but probably would have to be a cheaper) amp?

Sorry for the wall-of-text and non-native english, I appreciate any help I can get Thanks
let me introduce you to this Line 6 Spider III amp over here... it has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE and cool effects!

And if your not into the whole weird noises bull****, say hello to the Marshall MG! great sound, crushing overdrive, and still a few effects if you wanna keep a little bit in your repertoire!

thats me applying for Guitar center. in all seriousness, dont get either one of those.

As for a guitar, I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul 100, and for only 300 bucks, its ****ing great. no lie
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Last edited by GODhimself37 at Jul 12, 2009,
^I did think it was a good bundle too, and inside my budget, but I'm not really knowledgeable about amps, so I was having some second thoughts

Quote by GODhimself37
let me introduce you to this Line 6 Spider III amp over here... it has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE and cool effects!

And if your not into the whole weird noises bull****, say hello to the Marshall MG! great sound, crushing overdrive, and still a few effects if you wanna keep a little bit in your repertoire!

thats me applying for Guitar center. in all seriousness, dont get either one of those.

Fail troll attempt failed :\
Last edited by Boiller at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by Boiller
Fail troll attempt failed :\

well at least i added some seriousness at the end
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
get one of those peavey vypers all the kids are bat**** for
try and stay away from crushing overdrive
Gear:
IBANEZ RG2550EX
Orange Rocker 30
Peavey Ultra Plus (lights up)
Quote by Ghold125
That's a good package. Good amp, decent guitar, and some goodies.

It's a great starter package. The pacifica's a great guitar. Playable, versatile, affordable. I guarantee you'll still be playing it in 30 years. Amp is fine, but you could get a better one within your budget.

Thinking of getting one of these myself:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_ga15.htm

And I'm playing through a much more expensive fender amp at the minute. The tubes are where the tone comes from you see. If you start out with top notch gear, you're much more likely to keep it up, and to have the capability to progress. It might not look as "cool" or "badass" as the peavey, but it'll be much, much better. And will suit your type of music down to a "t."
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
I got myself a used (7 months old "as new") Pacifica 112vcx (white with red-tort pickguard) for 170€ (240$), and now looking for a definite amp choice:

Budget will be around 100-120€, looking for a little moddeling SS amp for bedroom practice, my expected playing styles will be Blues, Indie/Alt rock, possibly some power/melodic metal, but for now I'm still learning

My top options at the moment seem:

Roland Micro Cube - All I see is good reviews (here at UG and other websites), decent tone and moddeling for a beginner

Peavey Vypyr 15 - Mixed reviews, just a tiny bit more expensive than the micro cube, seems more like a metalish amp tone?

Roland Cube 15X - Don't know much about this one, reviews say it's worse than either the 20X or 30X in terms of moddeling or worse than the micro cube in tone

more options are welcome;
I'm considering in the future (when I'm a better player, and have a good notion of which effect does what and have a bigger budget) to buy a small Tube amp (the Harley Benson posted before seems attractive, fx loop and a nice other extras) and going for single effect pedals, also want opinions if this is a good plan for a short-medium timelime
Last edited by Boiller at Jul 15, 2009,