Page 1 of 2
I have some specific questions about certain points in the vid (Nothing really musical, just scales and little parts of songs) I have played for just over 4 months. Sorry if this is a long list... (And sorry about the picture quality and my seemingly endless flow of mistakes and screwups)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdZwe_HvRh4

1) 0:00-0:32 Am I picking from the wrist? How is my posture? Is left hand position good?

2) Hows the improv at 00:16 - 32?

3) 32-50 Close up of picking, is it alright?

General playing......

4) 1:23 Thumb position?

5) 1:48 Master of puppets (Yes, im playing it in the wrong order, didn't feel like stopping though, and I know it is to slow) I'm elbow picking way to much there right?

6) 2:02 Major problem with power chord slides. I try two different positions. I can do the slides when my hand is in the weird bent position, but can't in the standard power chord position. (Close up at 2:14) My hand bends funny.

7) A little bit later.... Are my chords ok?

You dont have to watch the rest, just a bit of The Zephyr Song, a messed up Californication Solo (I cant believe the one time I screw it up is while im taping)and random stuff.

EDIT: In general, am I sloppy or clean? I mean, I know I made mistakes, but how was it altogether?

2nd Edit: How are the vibrato and bends in the first little improv? 0:16
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Jul 12, 2009,
Overall, pretty good for four months.
It seems like you're picking with both wrist and elbow.

You may have questions about specific parts, but in my opinion (others may correct me) the main thing is playing the way you're comfortable playing. Whether it's using your wrist or elbow to pick, where your left hand is positioned, how you hold the pick, it's mostly personal preference.

As far as sloppy or clean, you're exceptionally clean, since it's really good to already know how to alternate pick smoothly, and on tempo, especially for how long you've been playing.

Vibrato takes some getting used to, bending also. You did well. I'm guessing you're learning to play solely on acoustic? If so, once you can do all the scales and chords on that, you'll see that it would be effortless on electric, so keep it up.

And don't worry about mistakes, you're just starting. I've been playing for 8-9 years, and I still make mistakes. It's part of the game

If you're looking for scrutiny on positions and how you're playing, all I'm going to say is, however you feel like playing, even if you want to do everything overhand and behind your back, it's all up to you... (actually that would be kinda badass if you could play overhand and behind your back )
Overall seems good, i think you thought you did alot worse than you actually did, you seem to be playing fine, and you just have to play how it feels right...

Also nice Maiden at the end
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
So is the picking ok? I added all those questions at the last minute, but the real reason I made this is the picking. I feel like If I practiced I could make it come solely from the wrist, but this feels fine, so is it alright?
And I learned solely on an acoustic.
Quote by That_Hot_Guy
Overall seems good, i think you thought you did alot worse than you actually did, you seem to be playing fine, and you just have to play how it feels right...

Also nice Maiden at the end

Is that sarcasm (about The Trooper)? I messed up the 2nd time through then failed at trilling.
There IS a thread for this you know...

I'll critique anyway...will EDIT soon.

EDIT: It's hard to notice any wrist movement at all actually...your wrist looks locked up and a lot of motion is coming from the elbow.

You may have questions about specific parts, but in my opinion (others may correct me) the main thing is playing the way you're comfortable playing. Whether it's using your wrist or elbow to pick, where your left hand is positioned, how you hold the pick, it's mostly personal preference.

Picking motion should be entirely from the wrist.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jul 12, 2009,
Then were is the picking coming from, because I don't see much movement in my elbow other than when switching strings. My wrist feels loose when I play....

EDIT: What the picking close up. To me it looks like im wrist picking then moving my whole arm to switch strings.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Then were is the picking coming from, because I don't see much movement in my elbow other than when switching strings. My wrist feels loose when I play....

EDIT: What the picking close up. To me it looks like im wrist picking then moving my whole arm to switch strings.

I realized that that too with my playing. I was using my arm to switch strings, but in doing this, I started to tense up my wrist and start using my arm when I sped up.

See how Paul Gilbert plays? He has almost no arm movement at all, given he has big hands, making it easier for him to do this. Either way, I think you are probably using your arm for too much. Here's what I do:

Switching to an adjacent string: Wrist movement (With a little arm movement when I'm using 4 or more strings.)
String skipping: Arm movement
I watched the technical difficulties video. I can't put my arm on such an angle on my acoustic that I dont have to move my arm.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I watched the technical difficulties video. I can't put my arm on such an angle on my acoustic that I dont have to move my arm.

You don't have to keep your arm perfectly still when changing strings, just try to use less of your arm and more of your wrist to do it.
When I am just picking one string, is the motion coming from my wrist?
How do I not move my arm when switchting strings. I end up hitting the string at a weird angle by the time I get to the high E
I was kind of absentmindedly watching the first video you posted, and it looks like when you bend (upwards, at least) you move your shoulder and push the whole guitar up. I dunno if it's "correct," but when I bend strings the motion is mostly just my fingers.
...I like metal.
Quote by Sax2
I was kind of absentmindedly watching the first video you posted, and it looks like when you bend (upwards, at least) you move your shoulder and push the whole guitar up. I dunno if it's "correct," but when I bend strings the motion is mostly just my fingers.

I cant bend up with one finger properly yet.
I still cant figure out where the picking motion is in the second video. Can anyone tell me. I see my wrist moving buy my arm as well.
Another picking video. At what point is the picking most correct?
I seem to be able to do it when I am palm muting or resting the hand on the brudge, but not when my hand is free.

Last video, I promise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQnBeVTPRg

Look at my hand at 0:54 how do I stop that from happening when wrist picking?
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by GoldfishMoon
6) 2:02 Major problem with power chord slides. I try two different positions. I can do the slides when my hand is in the weird bent position, but can't in the standard power chord position. (Close up at 2:14) My hand bends funny.
I'm not going to comment on your technique cos I haven't been playing long enough myself to do that, but for power chord slides I always find it easier to fret them with my index and pinky - pinky just seems more stable for slides than my ring finger.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Another picking video. At what point is the picking most correct?
I seem to be able to do it when I am palm muting or resting the hand on the brudge, but not when my hand is free.

Last video, I promise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQnBeVTPRg

Look at my hand at 0:54 how do I stop that from happening when wrist picking?

Try not to completely stop moving your elbow! Seems like you're doing just that.

Think of it this way. You use your wrist to pick on a string, but you move your elbow to transition strings (play on different strings). You don't necessarily have to Stop moving your entire arm.

With that being said, when playing on an acoustic, the part of your hand that touches the very back of the guitar, you could use that almost like a pivot for now.

Basically keep your arm fluid, and don't freeze it up thinking that you can only move your wrist.

Hope this helps.
About the master of puppets atempt. Now I'm not expert, been playing for 5 months and i too have attempted to play master of puppets on an acoustic. Anyway, this part

|-----------------------------------|
|-9--------7---6---5--------------|
|-7--------5---4---3--------------|
|-0--------------------------------|

and later part with only the bolded power chords, i suggest using a barre on the G and D string, instead of putting fingers on each of those strings. Because when i tried to play it like that, using 3 fingers for that power chord, often one finger would end up in a wrong fret or the metal part of the fret ( forgot how its called, those metal bars ) The solution was a barre. Much easier to move around believe me. But sure, if for you it's more comfortable to to place a finger for each string, have it your way.
^ I used to do that years ago, but changed it out for the index-root, ring-5th, pinky-octave fingering. That has worked better for me. When you do the ring finger barre, you have to press down more. That makes it harder to change positions fluidly, because there's a tendency to "drag" it from position to position when you're pressing down harder.
Quote by Shinami
About the master of puppets atempt. Now I'm not expert, been playing for 5 months and i too have attempted to play master of puppets on an acoustic. Anyway, this part

and later part with only the bolded power chords, i suggest using a barre on the G and D string, instead of putting fingers on each of those strings. Because when i tried to play it like that, using 3 fingers for that power chord, often one finger would end up in a wrong fret or the metal part of the fret ( forgot how its called, those metal bars ) The solution was a barre. Much easier to move around believe me. But sure, if for you it's more comfortable to to place a finger for each string, have it your way.

Im still learning to barre. I can do it ith my index, but fail with my ring finger. I'll do it that way as soon as I can barre.
I already started relearning that riff, with proper wrist picking and palm-muting so i'll try get the barring right while I practice that.
I think I have my picking right now, I just have to practice and bring it back up to speed.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Better to stop bad habits now before they get hard to stop later on. No one has commented on my improv though... how are my bends and vibrato?

And one more imporant question. In my first video, when doing the master of puppets riff (The "spider riff" at 1:58) is my hand in a good position? Not to much wrist bending?
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by The.new.guy
There IS a thread for this you know...

I'll critique anyway...will EDIT soon.

EDIT: It's hard to notice any wrist movement at all actually...your wrist looks locked up and a lot of motion is coming from the elbow.

Picking motion should be entirely from the wrist.

The elbow/forearm should be used to cross strings, though
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Thanks for the help so far guys. Better to stop bad habits now before they get hard to stop later on. No one has commented on my improv though... how are my bends and vibrato?
Your improv at the moment seems to be mainly going up and down the scale. Try limiting yourself to just the root and 2 or 3 notes near it, so you can focus on your rhythm and phrasing, and play about with slides, hammer ons and pull offs, and work out what bends work, without having to think about what note to play next. When you are really confident with just those notes add another note or two into the mix.

Bends - you seem to be bending with your finger. Try bending more from the wrist - so your finger stays in pretty much the same position but twist your wrist a bit like turning a door knob. You'll have more control that way, and it won't put as much strain on your finger. Its worth supporting the finger you're using for the bend with any other spare fingers you have near it as well - especially when you are doing big bends or bending near the nut. Other than that, just use your ears and make sure you are bending in tune and hitting your target note. If you're not sure, play the target note then bend to it a couple of times to get your ear in.

Vibrato takes time - for now I'd say just keep it under control and in tune. As you get more confident at bending your vibrato should come easier too.

I'll caveat all of the above with the fact I'm a beginner too - so more than happy to be corrected by one of the good guys

Edit: Sounds pretty darn good for 4 months to me
Last edited by zhilla at Jul 14, 2009,
Quote by MRavioli
The elbow/forearm should be used to cross strings, though

When string skipping, yes, you should use your elbow/forearm, but when you're changing to an adjacent string, no. Unless you're going through a 4 or more string run. IMO, if you're using 3 or fewer strings in a certain run, you should use your wrist to change strings.

Once again, any string skipping is an exception.

Quote by trashbeast
holy **** man, stop worrying and just play the damn thing .

Personally, I would never give advice like this. Sometimes worrying is healthy. Plus, if he wanted to get a lot faster, he would've had to learn sooner or later what the faults in his technique were. Fortunately, he learned sooner.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jul 15, 2009,
Technically you're pretty sound but once or twice you seem to get a little ahead of yourself and things went a little out of sync, that's something you want to be ironing out of your playing as soon as possible. You also need to loosen your wrist up something chronic, especially when strumming, your arm looks like it's in plaster!

As far as the "improv" goes it wasn't really improv, it was just a picking exercise - if you listen back to it you'll hear there's not really a melody and it doesn't go anywhere, you're just meandering up and down patterns. What you need to do is formulate some kind of idea in your head as to what you want to create, you seemed to be more concerned with making sure you included every note in the scale pattern rather than worrying about what it sounded like. That'll come with time though, next time just try to create a simple melody from the notes of a scale rather than simply "playing the scale". Playing over a backing track will help you immensely when it comes to learning to improvise, there's loads of free ones at www.guitarbt.com
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this so far.

Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc&fmt=18

You have to work on muting the open strings while you aren't playing them. The video is "for electric guitar," but it's really pretty much the same on an acoustic - fret with the pad of your left index finger to mute the strings higher than the one you're on, and use your palm and/or thumb muscle of your right hand to mute the strings lower than the one you're picking.
i made a video exactly like that when id been playing for four months and im not being big headed but now ive played for 10 months i can tell how much ive improved
keep up the work
Overall it's quite good.

A major point would be your fretting hand. It looks REALLY tense, especially when playing chords. Relaxing while you play is very important. You probably feel like you have to press very hard (possibly because of string gaugue?), but you're better off putting a little less pressure on the strings. It'll let you play faster in the long run, and also reduce your chance of injury. Try spending some time on this lesson on justinguitar.com
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
I think my action is quite high. I can barely barre anything on my guitar, it takjes a lot of strain. When I tried on my friends acoustic it was effortless. My fretting hand doesnt feel strained though.
Thanks for the video though. I'll do that while working on my picking. Do I have to start again from scratch (Picking and fretting) or would 15 minutes a day of focused slow paractice iron out my problems, even if I continue to pplay things I already know with my current picking/fretting?
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Jul 16, 2009,
My 2pence...

I'd say you're coming along really well for 4 months. Try and get a vid up on electric guitar - muting problems show up way more. You need to practice with a metronome if you're not already, because some of your playing is staccato - you're not holding them for the right amount of time which makes it sound bitty, like it doesn't really flow. Can't complain for the amount of time you've been playing, but like seagull said, you seem to be going out of sync - so slow down, use a metronome, relax and have fun.
Quote by Shinami

fret wire
and i wouldnt barre it with ur ring finger. it makes it harder imo

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
The biggest thing I noticed is that you're bending with your fingers and not your wrist.
Quote by Ikonoklast
My 2pence...

I'd say you're coming along really well for 4 months. Try and get a vid up on electric guitar - muting problems show up way more. You need to practice with a metronome if you're not already, because some of your playing is staccato - you're not holding them for the right amount of time which makes it sound bitty, like it doesn't really flow. Can't complain for the amount of time you've been playing, but like seagull said, you seem to be going out of sync - so slow down, use a metronome, relax and have fun.

Im really sloppy on electric. I tried a few at a store, and I was bad. MoP was okay, but Enter Sandman sounded like disgusting mush, and it wasnt the amp or guitar, because they were both high quality.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Im really sloppy on electric. I tried a few at a store, and I was bad. MoP was okay, but Enter Sandman sounded like disgusting mush, and it wasnt the amp or guitar, because they were both high quality.
That probably just means you need to slow down enough to make sure you're fretting and picking the notes accurately, and learn to mute. I'm pretty sure I couldn't mute for toffee at 4 months.
But how do I mute when the gain is really high? You know, to the point where just touching the strings and making the slightest of movements makes heaps of noise?
Don't worry that much about technique but work on dynamic control and tone etc.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
But how do I mute when the gain is really high? You know, to the point where just touching the strings and making the slightest of movements makes heaps of noise?
Its just practice - the more you practice the more control you get. Its a combination of using both hands (any spare bit of whichever hand is most convenient) to mute open strings, and learning to release the pressure from a note rather than taking your finger straight off the string.
Last edited by zhilla at Jul 17, 2009,
I have just a few scattered thoughts after reading this thread and watching the videos, I apologize that they aren't going to be very cohesive -

First off, don't worry so much! You are extremely dedicated to doing it JUST right, and that's not something that beginners generally understand, but if your attitude is tense regarding your skill or technique then you will be tense when you play. I know because I was just like that when I started, and I only recently learned to just get in the groove.

Second, in the power chord slides on Master of Puppets, be very careful not to bend the 5th string with your 3rd finger. Just something to keep in mind, everyone does that when they're beginning.

Third, try focusing on the timing of Master of Puppets, because some parts are a bit off rhythm, especially the three quick power chords at the very beginning of the riff.

Fourth, most beginners that I've heard play Wonderwall have totally screwed up the rhythm, and you haven't, so be proud of that =p I think there's another strum on the last chord before it repeats, though.

Fifth, practice using both hands to totally mute every string you're not playing. If you do this on acoustic, it won't be so bad when you start trying electrics (although it will still take some getting used to).
Another thing, regarding Master of Puppets - you might want to play it correctly, which is probably easier than the way almost all of the tabs on UG are (including the 1k votes 5-star tab).
e|------------------------
B|------------------------
G|------------------------
D|------------------------
A|-2------12---11--10-----
E|-0------10---9---8------

e|------------------------------------------------------------------------ x4
B|------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-------------------12---11--10------------------------------------------
E|-0-0-12-0-0-11-0-0-10---9---8---------0-0-7-0-0-6-0-0-5-0-4-0-3-0-2-1---
pm . .    . .    . .                    . .   . .   . .   .   .   . . . 

e|------------------------------------------------------------------- x2
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------
A|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3-----5\4---5\4---5\4---
E|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0-3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2---
pm . .   . .   . .   . .   . .     . .   . .   . . 
And for the power chords (and power chords in general), try playing them with your index finger and pinky (across two strings), especially when you're in lower positions on the fretboard (as it's less wide and thus easier for the pinky to reach). You might find it to be much more comfortable.
Last edited by Unsouled at Jul 17, 2009,
Page 1 of 2