Page 1 of 2
I play metal and I'm thinking about getting an American Fender Highway 1 Strat HSS.
I've heard so many people saying "you can't play metal using a fender strat!",
and people saying "Strats are great for any style and genre, including metal".
What do you think?

Dave Murray and Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden play Strats...
and so does Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple and Rainbow...
LIGHTNING
Last edited by | Lightning | at Jul 12, 2009,
I pity the people that think you can only play metal on a paper thin neck with EMG pickups. It's not true, and a fender strat plays metal pretty good, I think. Not bashing Ibanez or any other brand, just saying.
Chris Impellitteri, Yngwie Malmsteen, Glenn Tipton/K.K Downing as well as many others use strats. You should have no problem.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
The Fender Highway 1 Strat HSS has fairly high-output pickups and is different then normal strats, which is good for metal, i believe both the guitarists you mentioned use stacked single coil sized humbuckers but i'm not sure.
its very do-able
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Just because it can, doesn't mean it should. Haha jk
But in all seriousness, it doesn't really matter. Play w/e you're comfortable with. A strat may not be the most metal-looking guitar, but its mainly about sound and not AS much on looks. If I were you, I'd roll with an ESP. They have a good, heavy sound and most of them look pretty badass. Then again, all of this is personal opinion.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
I think all you need is atleast one humbucker, although that might just be because my fender doesn't have great "metal" single coils

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
two words - Iron Maiden

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
You can but you but higher gain pickups would work better.

Also, i hate when people say Iron Maiden plays metal with starts. Theres are modded with high output pups.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I have a squier strat and its not great for metal, but it's ok. But then again its not really great for anything, its a squier.
Quote by gstacey1
You can but you but higher gain pickups would work better.

Also, i hate when people say Iron Maiden plays metal with starts. Theres are modded with high output pups.

Changing the pickups does not change the guitar!
If John 5 and Jim Root can get a Telecaster to sound metal, getting a Strat to get good metal tones should be a walk in the park.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
I put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, a Dimarzio YJM in the middle, and a Duncan Hot Rails in the neck of my strat. I think it sounds really good.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Iron Maiden play Strats, and Judas Priest have been known to use them live sometimes.
I'm against versatile strats but I'm all for strats for metal. Some people want to get Necrophagist and Clapton from the same guitar and that's when HSS strats fail. The pickups should be somewhat balanced so you can effectively switch them mid-song. But that's just my opinion.
whoever says stratocasters can't play metal is a ****ing retard that's like saying a ferrari enzo isn't meant to be driven on the road.

/thread
It's fine. I'm in a progressive/avant metal band (even though it's not my main style) and I use an Epiphone Dot and I am soon switching to a Jazzmaster, which aren't typical metal guitars. If you have good metal technique, you can make just about anything sound metal.
An HSS Strat can play metal. There is no point in arguing that. Almost any guitar can play metal if it has a humbucker in the bridge position and can handle the distortion without feedback.

Now, does it sound good? I don't think so. I like thick, warm guitar sounds. I don't usually hear that in HSS Strats.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
You play metal on anything.

Not just a "you can play metal on it, but it won't sound good", you can play good sounding metal on a ****ing hollowbody, and not cos of the "almighty humbucker" that somehow makes every guitar play metal, because it's the amp that gives the sound.

I have single coils on my strat, I play metal all the time, you don't need a humbucker to play metal, you don't need stacked single-coils, there's no opinion on it, if you know how to switch an amp on you can play metal on a strat.
It's not like a strat is any different to any other guitars out there, it doesn't resist as soon as you try to play anything high output.

I could go on all day about the subject, but I shant, if you think single coils can't do metal (I hope that's the argument and that people aren't thinking the physical strat shape gives the sound), then try out a single coiled guitar on a high gain amp.

(If I see one "Humbuckers don't need a high gain amp to play metal they produce gain" or some **** like that, I'm gonna rage I've heard too many people think that humbuckers are the high gain channel of an amp.)
Quote by Punk_Ninja
You play metal on anything.

Not just a "you can play metal on it, but it won't sound good", you can play good sounding metal on a ****ing hollowbody, and not cos of the "almighty humbucker" that somehow makes every guitar play metal, because it's the amp that gives the sound.

I have single coils on my strat, I play metal all the time, you don't need a humbucker to play metal, you don't need stacked single-coils, there's no opinion on it, if you know how to switch an amp on you can play metal on a strat.
It's not like a strat is any different to any other guitars out there, it doesn't resist as soon as you try to play anything high output.

I could go on all day about the subject, but I shant, if you think single coils can't do metal (I hope that's the argument and that people aren't thinking the physical strat shape gives the sound), then try out a single coiled guitar on a high gain amp.

(If I see one "Humbuckers don't need a high gain amp to play metal they produce gain" or some **** like that, I'm gonna rage I've heard too many people think that humbuckers are the high gain channel of an amp.)

As usual Punk_Ninja's completely right.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
Quote by Vasser
If John 5 and Jim Root can get a Telecaster to sound metal, getting a Strat to get good metal tones should be a walk in the park.

Well Jim Root uses EMG, but that's besides the point.

I don't understand why people must think that strats / Les Pauls =/= metal.

Whether you're metal or not depends on your technique, the song, the amp, and not so much on what guitar you're using. Yes the guitar makes a difference, but it isn't a deal-breaker.

A Tele is not gonna up and die just because you're playing the blues or jazz on it. Similarly, a RR is not gonna refuse to work just because you're playing classical on it.

That said, yes using a strat may not scare the kiddies, but it'll probably still play the metal just fine. If it doesn't, then change the pots, pickups, throw in a preamp booster... or whatever.

If its about the comfort of shredding on a non-shredding neck, it may not be the ideal neck, but if you like the feel and can develop the technique to do it, its your signature style.

I doubt anyone is gonna jump on stage and smash your sparkling-pink Stratocaster with a baby-blue pickguard t just because you use it to play Dimmu or inFlames.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Yes the guitar makes a difference, but it isn't a deal-breaker.

Try playing metal through an archtop. It will probably be a deal-breaker for most people.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
if you think single coils can't do metal (I hope that's the argument and that people aren't thinking the physical strat shape gives the sound), then try out a single coiled guitar on a high gain amp.

Have. It produces a distorted sound, yes. Does it produce one I find pleasing? No. If I hear something good, I might change my mind.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
Try playing metal through an archtop. It will probably be a deal-breaker for most people.

If I had to... i.e. playing a gig, guitar is down, no backup etc... I would if I had to. It wouldn't be the best, but there's nothing to say it can't be done.

When I said deal-breaker in that perspective, I meant it to say that it complete cannot be done. I'd admit its definitely not the best choice. Its also probably not the first thing you'd reach for if you think metal.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by Free to Guitar
Have. It produces a distorted sound, yes. Does it produce one I find pleasing? No. If I hear something good, I might change my mind.

This isn't really a thread about what pleases your ears, it's a thread about playing metal with a strat, just because it's not metal tone how you like it, it's still metal using a strat.

I'll do my thing and post videos proving strat CAN do metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK0rvReE-4c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EneQUjwMTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_tyvb0Lyg (This is just some nobody BTW)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSNuIzw9VfU

Just a few.

Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Punk_Ninja's completely right.

You make me blush
I can play metal on my SSS strat, totally doable
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by azn_guitarist25
whoever says stratocasters can't play metal is a ****ing retard that's like saying a ferrari enzo isn't meant to be driven on the road.

/thread

meh, i did and it sounded okay. your just an ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinsk8r91
practice young padawan and your fingers strong they will one day be, HMMMmmm.

this
i think the key for metal is humbuckers. as long as you got a set of those you can get a good metal tone with some tweaking

but i don't play a strat so idk for sure
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by slipknot1991
meh, i did and it sounded okay. your just an ass

you played metal on a stratocaster. that proves my point that stratocasters can be used to play metal. what more do you want? and it should be "you're" not "your"
I use my strat for Metal too

And it's a squier, so a fender should do it even better
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
As long as the guitar is comfortable and stays in tune you can pretty much play any genre on any guitar.
It's the Indian ,not the bow.
I have a Mexican Strat with 3 Single Coils and i Play Metal on it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/insanityaditya

However i just bought a Schecter Blackjack ATX . Problem with my strat is that it tends to sound too treblish and while playing on higher notes on high gain they sound really bad (it sounds as though you are arpeggiating 2 strings on distortion). But they are quite good man
I play metal on my Strats sometimes. It doesn´t sound bad but it doesn´t sound as good as my more metal oriented guitars.
Page 1 of 2