so im on craigslist and i just found this top hat amp
and it caught my intrest. i looked up top hats home site and apparantly they make hand wired specialty guitar amps that cost in the thousands and it doesnt look like the kind of brand that has low end stuff. is this the buy of the century or just a cheapo model from a high end manufacturer? anybody familiar with top hat? and can anybody ID the model from the picture? any help would be greatley appreciated.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Jul 12, 2009,
Top Hat doesnt really make anything "cheap" so to say. It may be a low watt, low feature amp. If its ridiculously cheap it could be damaged, definitely want to check it out in person I'd say.
sorry the link didnt work. its only a hundred. i kept on investigating and i think ist one of the "studio" models but im not sure as im totally unfamiliar with the amp line other than knowing theyre high end amps. i just wanted to make sure they dont have marshalls version of the MG series where theyre entry level amps that arent the real deal that has the quality that made the brand famous in the first place.

the seller said it uses tubes so im assuming its not solid state unless its a hybrid. are you guys saying that no matter what its a great deal for $100 american?

id like to be sure because although i can afford it (barely) im moving and i'd like to save my money for furniture or unforseen needs but if its really a hand wired pro quality amp i cant pass it up. i just dont want to waste my money on it or on the gas its gonna take me to drive out to check it out (its about 20 miles away from me). thanks for the help gentlemen and any more would be exponentially awesome.
$100 seems low, make sure you play it before you buy.
If it works I'd buy it, but if it really is a studio it's pretty much a fender champ, so if that's not what you're looking for it might not be the best choice. Basically I agree with fretz86
Do you have pics of it? Or can you get the link to work?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
there you go. pak, do you mean its a champ like its a single knob? do you know what the control layout could be?
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Jul 12, 2009,
Looks like the discontinued Portly Cadet model to me, I think they retailed for ~$700.
Jump on it.
It looks like a Studio and he appears to know nothing about its value so you may be getting a great deal.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 12, 2009,
get it. who cares if its 100 bucks, theres at least $300 worth of usable parts in that amp if its broken for some reason.