. Okay so today my band had a gig at a kids graduation party. We got there at 4 to play at 4:15... The place was packed with old people and we're a punk band so the host asked if we could wait until like 6:15 to go on so some of the elderly could leave first. Kinda Lame BUT we didn't care because we just hung out with one of the other bands who we''re friends with...

. OKAY anyways myself and the other guitarist had left our gear out of our cases for that 2 hours and it was like 80something degrees. When we finally played, halfway into our set my guitar started going crazy out of tune and I switched to my backup/backstage guitar which I was playing for the two hours before we went on just to keep my fingers sharp... That guitar stayed in tune for the rest of the set. Then at the end of our set the other guitarists guitar went out of badly out of tune also. Since both of us bought our strings together yesterday we thought the strings were just crappy.. but then every band who played after us had their guitars go out of tune also. (They all left their guitars uncased as well). I finally concluded that humidity f***ed with our strings and cursed the stage.

SUMMARY: So I was wondering, does anyone else think the humidity could have done caused everyone's strings to go out of tune? And has anybody else ever had this problem?

Thanks.
Last edited by punkmesilly at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by punkmesilly
Since both of us bought our strings together yesterday we thought the strings were just crappy..

THERE!

Buy your strings at least a week before your performance. They need time to stretch/break in or else they'll go out of tune just like you said
Quote by One on Sunday
THERE!

Buy your strings at least a week before your performance. They need time to stretch/break in or else they'll go out of tune just like you said

Agreed.
Yeah it can screw with the strings. I played my guitar outside a while back as opposed to inside and the tuning went way out of wack.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Humidity may have warped the neck slightly, and the new strings weren't given enough time to stretch.

Humidity + unstretched strings = guitar going out of tune. Is this win?
Why did you leave them out of their cases in the first place? No offense but that was a stupid move on your part.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
yeah humidity can do that to alot of gear. the only real remedy for that would be to leave guitars in their cases or keep them in an air conditioned area.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by One on Sunday
THERE!

You don't need week old strings just to stay in tune. Learn to stretch them properly and you'll have no problem. I'd say differences in temp and humidity was the culprit.
yes you're actually supposed the stretch the strings before you even put them on. In fact, some people actual boil there strings before putting them on their guitars. ( I think. I might just be imagining I read that somewhere?)
Quote by i_don't_know
Humidity may have warped the neck slightly, and the new strings weren't given enough time to stretch.

Humidity + unstretched strings = guitar going out of tune. Is this win?

'tis win i_dont_know
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
Quote by Tedward
yes you're actually supposed the stretch the strings before you even put them on. In fact, some people actual boil there strings before putting them on their guitars. ( I think. I might just be imagining I read that somewhere?)

I read that people do that to clean their old strings, but that it will ruin your pot.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
if its really cold your guitar will do the same thing.
I know a guy that one day it was really really cold and he had his guitar cased and when he put it down the bump on the case caused 3 strings to snap.
Weather extremes + guitar = no
Quote by itchy guitar
Why did you leave them out of their cases in the first place? No offense but that was a stupid move on your part.

Actually you are supposed to leave your guitars out of their cases so that it can get acclimatised to the surrounding environment before you play. That way, if there's any movement, stretching or shrinking of the wood, it will take place before you play. You will need to tune your guitar once more after all that wood shrink or expanding.

Also like the others have mentioned, stretch your strings in one week before the show.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.