I know that eventually ill develop calluses on my fingers and thumb that will numb the pain from slap and pop, but on the way there is there a good way to cushion my skin?

i tried a band-aid and it didnt work. also i heard that flea puts glue on his thumb for live perfomances
They make things to slip over your thumb just for that purpose. I'm not a bassist, so I have no idea what they are called, but I've seen them being used.
nope, nothing you can do without altering the tone.

flea didn't put glue on his thumb really, he apparently had a hole in his thumb during the late 80's, so he would put crazy glue in the hole, and tape it up. not a good idea.

You just have to play through the pain, it will make the end result feel that much better.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by Hobble
nope, nothing you can do without altering the tone.

flea didn't put glue on his thumb really, he apparently had a hole in his thumb during the late 80's, so he would put crazy glue in the hole, and tape it up. not a good idea.

You just have to play through the pain, it will make the end result feel that much better.

Hopefully TS has better slapping technique than Flea tho (not that I have anything against Flea's playing, but his technique is hardly textbook)

TS I used to share your problem. My solution was changing from Nickel-plated steel to straight nickel, I also went to the next lightest gauge. Like the fellow above posted tho, that will affect your tone. I much prefer my tone now to what I had with the steel. You might get lucky like me, but other than that all you can hope to do is build up lots of calluses by practicing.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Well its not painful at first, just after like 30-45 min or so, a painful bump comes up on my thumb where its been hitting the strings and i usually dont do anymore slap for a day or two.

Quote by Matt420740
They make things to slip over your thumb just for that purpose. I'm not a bassist, so I have no idea what they are called, but I've seen them being used.

Does anyone have more information on these??
Quote by brunks24
Well its not painful at first, just after like 30-45 min or so, a painful bump comes up on my thumb where its been hitting the strings and i usually dont do anymore slap for a day or two.

Does anyone have more information on these??

Its a slap ring. I dont recommend them.

I DO recommend practice
If it's pain from blisters you should NOT fight through the pain, keep practising on a regular basis but do not push the blister into raw skin. I personally prick the blister and let the water out and then lay off it for a day or so and keep practising.

If it's pain from your wrist or anything else, your technique is wrong.

Can TS elaborate?
yea, its not wrist pain or anything, (i think i slap right), flick the wrist without moving the arm itself and hit with the side of your thumb right after the spot where the finger nail starts onto the string at last fret. i play open palm instead of closed.

and yes i guess it was a blister, was on my thumb, was small, and hurt when I touched it. went away after about maybe day

also is there any reason slap rings are not recommended.
also if it helps the strings are 45-65-80-105 Long scale Nickel roundwounds
You can edit your posts . Your slap technique sounds about right, not sure what you mean about the nail thing because everyone's fingernails are different but try to hit the string with the part of your thumb that sticks out most, for me it's where all the wrinkly bits start.

Slap rings are not recommended because you may learn to use them as a crutch and never grow out of the habit, also you want to build callouses.
Personally if i was playing a long set with straight slapping the whole time, say an hour or so, i would wear a slap ring, otherwise your just tearing skin off.
you don't need to slap and pop hard... you lose tone when you do that. slap and pop lightly and crank your volume
James

My Gear
schecter elite 5 hny sat
Kustom 30 WATT kba30
SWR vintage workingman combo 500/1500
Yamaha Extension 500w Speaker
SWR Workingman Extension 500w Speaker