I could spend the cash for a PRS, but when i have tried them in the shop they seem of similar build quality, the tones are both good, the features are actually better on a Schecter..tonepros bridges, locking tuners, duncans etc. However Schecter c1s are £600 and PRS 22s are £1700 or something.

I dont think i would be able to tell the difference between a PRS and schecter of same scale length and woods in a blind test. They both feel good to me as well and i really dont mind about the looks...so should i just get the schecter?
Buy the guitar that feels the best. Everything else on a guitar can be upgraded. Features, pups, etc.
Quote by blue_strat
What amp have you got?

Ive got a Splawn Quickrod, Bugera 6262 and Fender Twin
it depends on what type of music you want to play. Schecters are more for hard rock and metal in my opinion. But, PRSs are more versitle with their tones. I personally would go with a PRS because if the versitility factor (Carlos Santana to Opeth).
Have a look into custom builders:

James Tyler
Tom Anderson
John Suhr
Hugh Manson
Fender Custom Shop

PRSs are great, but you can get a more you-specific guitar for that kind of money.
My humble opinion about this subject goes as follows..

I first and foremost agree with the person who said "go with what feels best"

PRS's are amazing and I'm not about to trash them, however you are paying a
very high price for ornate detailing (paint finishes ect..)

I pick them up every day at the local music store and I think to myself

are these really worth 1000$ more than most guitars.

The answer is usually no.

They aren't totally my style though, so I'm only talking from my opinion

my vote is Schecter save yourself some cash and buy some more candy for
your guitar!
Quote by MikeD91
it depends on what type of music you want to play. Schecters are more for hard rock and metal in my opinion. But, PRSs are more versitle with their tones. I personally would go with a PRS because if the versitility factor (Carlos Santana to Opeth).

Not really, i was playing jazz fusion and latin on them there was no problems. If it were EMGs it that then thats more understandable.

I guess ill just go with schecter. I really just care about tone, i couldnt care less how it looks. If i could find a schecter beat to **** so i can get it cheaper i will.
For me personally, if I had $1600 id go for the PRS. I mean you've got a great opportunity to have a top class instrument. You dont need the leftover money since you already have a Splawn. SO I say buy the PRS. Not to mention they are rarer than a Schecter and will hold its value much better than a Schecter would.

HTH
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
schecters arent nearly as versitile in my opinion. although it isnt prs' image, they do metal very well but they will kill a schecter at blues and classic rock.

a prs is a much better instrument and thats why it is a more costly instrument. both are good at their respective prices but the decision is yours.
Quote by no_thing101
schecters arent nearly as versitile in my opinion. although it isnt prs' image, they do metal very well but they will kill a schecter at blues and classic rock.

a prs is a much better instrument and thats why it is a more costly instrument. both are good at their respective prices but the decision is yours.

in what way?
Quote by Orangatango
Not really, i was playing jazz fusion and latin on them there was no problems. If it were EMGs it that then thats more understandable.

I guess ill just go with schecter. I really just care about tone, i couldnt care less how it looks. If i could find a schecter beat to **** so i can get it cheaper i will.

You can still swap out the 85 in the neck for a 60 if you want to keep the ability to do cleans which I think the TS would as he owns a fender twin.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Which Schecter are you looking towards?

I have the Damien 6, and I personally love it more than any other guitar ive played, even Gibsons, and $1000 Deans like the Razorback (but hey, those deans suck anyways..hehe), and my friends $800 Esp Ltd. And my other friends Gibson, and even another Dean...haha. I could go on about how my guitar feels and sounds better than those, and mines only $399
Quote by navarreguitaris
Which Schecter are you looking towards?

I have the Damien 6, and I personally love it more than any other guitar ive played, even Gibsons, and $1000 Deans like the Razorback (but hey, those deans suck anyways..hehe), and my friends $800 Esp Ltd. And my other friends Gibson, and even another Dean...haha. I could go on about how my guitar feels and sounds better than those, and mines only $399

Probably a new hellraiser despite it not having blackouts as i need some maple on the guitar having the bugera which is a dark toned amp. Ill probably keep the 81 and get a bareknuckle for the neck and get a piezo fitted and a 2nd output fitted.
Quote by no_thing101

The quality of a guitar is only one of many variables that affect the price of said guitar. Many may disagree, many people are idiots. No "blanket" rules apply for how guitars are priced. Variables come into play such as brand name value, cosmetics, labour costs, revenue wishes of the maker, sentimental or nostalgic value... There are quite a few reasons.

PRS guitars are great sounding and playing guitars, their prices are more than what a great sounding and playing guitar should be however. If you buy a high end PRS, you are paying a significant amount extra for the brand name, cosmetics and the fact they are said to be "hand made" . Ofcourse, these things mean a lot to some people, so PRS happily provides.

For a working musician the priority is usually sound + feel > looks. So if you are not a collector really the obvious choice is a high end Schecter. I would personally recommend finding a good luthier to build a custom for you to the exact specs you need if you are looking at professional grade guitars though.

EDIT: If you want to go Schecter, I'm gonna recommend a Blackjack C-1, sweet guitar.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 13, 2009,
I'd personally go for the PRS because of the versatility, build quality and overall tone. They're a brand that makes really top notch guitars. Besides, if you get a Schecter you probably will get flamed for being a Gates fanboy :P
(Although I'm a Schecter hater so don't mind me)
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
I don't know anything about PRS guitars... but I can tell you the Omen 6 and Damien 6 by shecter are very respectable and good guitars. I've been playing my Omen 6 for like 3 years
Schecter Omen-6
ESP LTD V-500
Line 6 Spider III
Quote by Orangatango

yeah I agree, I play mostly blues, funk and jazz fusion and the schecter works great for that.
The amount of ignorant brand-name stereotyping in this thread is staggering. Schecter makes more guitars than just the Hellraiser series. Shoot, Ibanez makes RGs with Floyds and EMGs and classical guitars.

You've said that they sound the same to you, and the specs on most Schecters are great for the price imo; So, if I offered you the Schecter for $1200 and then offered you the same Schecter for $2400, which offer would you take? You can use that extra money on amps or pedals or the down-payment on a car or something.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
I think you should keep looking at different guitars. If you can't tell the difference between the two, keep searching until you find a guitar that just wows you. If you are really torn between these two, go for the Schecter and save yourself some cash.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quite honestly, a PRS is a superior guitar on just about every level compared to the Schecter. Better wood, better construction, better electronics, which leads to better tone and more potential for a wide range of sounds.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 13, 2009,
get what you prefer/like/enjoy. who cares what the name on the headstock says how does that effect the rest of a incredibly awesome playing guitar.
if you are looking for a versitel guitar........get the schecter, get the c1 plus seris guitar........i'm 13 and got it three days ago after playing a couple prs guitars and american strats, epiphone les paul, the shcecter blew them away. i personaly think prs guitars sound too like tiny mettalic kinda tone..................but all personal preference

KEEP ROCK ALIVE!!!!!!
Get what you prefer, but if you really can't tell the ENORMOUS difference between a PRS and a Schecter, you don't deserve the PRS, so get the Schecter.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Schecter.
If you want blackouts just get the ATX. But since you insisted on the Maple, Hellraiser sounds good
Quote by stratman7
Buy the guitar that feels the best. Everything else on a guitar can be upgraded. Features, pups, etc.

Tell me how your going to upgrade tonewood. ;P
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Schecter C-1 Classic?
I just got mine and I'm in love...the Seymour Duncans are great pickups and its an incredibly beautiful guitar. I would rather have this than a PRS and an empty bank account.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Get whatever you want, but like al said, the prs is going to be a superior instrument, for those who care about that kind of thing.
In the end, it all comes down to the Player. If you are happy with the Schecter, get it. No point spending 600 euros more for an instrument that you dont like more
Quote by Mahoru
Get what you prefer, but if you really can't tell the ENORMOUS difference between a PRS and a Schecter, you don't deserve the PRS, so get the Schecter.

this.
Get the PRS! It costs a lot more so it MUST be better!

/sarcasm

Honestly, pick one PRS and one Schecter, play them both through the SAME amp, and see which one you like more after that.

I have no idea why people are saying Schecters aren't versatile, I play blues and jazz on my Omen-6 (and keep in mind I got an SD Invader put in 2 weeks ago) just as much as I play metal, and it still sounds great to me.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P