Page 1 of 2
I have looked for information everywhere, but it's all very vauge.
Can someone tell me the difference between a normal guitar and a floyd rose.
I know it has something to do with the tremolo being floating (Dont even know what a tremolo is) how far you can change pitch with the whammy bar, and tuning/restringing is harder.
How far exactly is the difference between the pitch changes, up and down, between a normal bridge and floyd rose?
Is their anything else different about it?
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Jul 12, 2009,
basically a floyd rose bridge is the kind of bridge that locks the strings so that it doesn't go out of tune while you're using the bar. most people don't even use the damn thing they just have it to look cool.
Quote by ZoSo_guy
most people don't even use the damn thing they just have it to look cool.

I guess it's never occurred to you that people who don't use the Floyd system and have guitars with them bought the guitar because they actually like it? A lot of the guys that are in that situation will block the tremolo, or use a tremol-no to make it function like a hard tail. So no, you're completely wrong.

A floyd rose is a type of bridge that locks the string in two places. By doing this, it helps the tuning stability pretty greatly - in my opinion far better than a hard tail guitar. Aside from the advantage of better tuning stability, it allows the pitch to be raised and lowered, while a "vintage" tremolo (like you'd find on a strat) only allows the pitch to be lowered.

I just noticed you asked what a tremolo is - tremolo and whammy bar are synonymous. They're the same thing.
Bassicly think of guitar hero.. The floyd rose is the whammy bar bassicly. Just it sounds wayy better on a real guitar...

2 types of bridges

-Floyd rose(whammy bar)

-Fixed Bridge

... A fixed bridge does not move and does not have a whammy bar. Many Metal guitarists use it for low tunings such as drop C, Drop B & Drop A because if you use a whammy bar with huge strings. It will mess up your neck due to the fact when you lift up on it the strings tighen. So you are even putting more presssure on your neck. A floyd rose is harder to restring but if you find that right guitar it will stay in tune perfect as long as it has a locking nut. If you lift the bar up it will go high pitch and if you push it down you can do a divebomb or go really low. You can make many many different noises, some of which include motorbike,elephant ect ect.. Whne you purchase a guitar with a floyd rose you are usually paying around $50-$100 more.

Anymore info???
What do you mean a standard guitar? If there is not already a whammy bar on a guitar i would not reccomend putting one on. Any electric guitar will handle a whammy bar though as long as it has this peice at the bridge section

That is a floyd rose.. If that is in the bridge section. It can support a whammy bar

If this peice is where the bridge is

Then it can not support a whammy bar in which case this is called a fixed bridge because it doesn't move..

Make sense??
Last edited by MetalGuitarest at Jul 12, 2009,
This is a Floyd Rose (well, it's an Ibanez Edge Pro, but it's based on a Floyd).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tH26RTAs3Q

Floyd Rose this time, with shameless wankery from Alexi Laiho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTBl45KOoXs&feature=related

Adding Steve Vai into the mix (a guy playing his music and performing his techniques). (once again, an Ibanez tremolo with a bar that doesn't screw in, which is how he can do this stuff).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVyEeh5NNes
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 12, 2009,
Look at almost any Fender Strat, and it has a whammy bar. Lots of PRS guitars have them too. Many ESP, LTD, Jackson, Ibanez, Dean, and Kramer guitars have Floyd roses or Floyd rose style trems. You find them everywhere, man.

And Floyd Rose does have a line of guitars

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Ok, after seeing the video I don't think it's worth it. I mean, it sounds awesome, but it seems like to much work for a first guitar.
Would I be able to play most Metallice/Iron Maiden songs without it? On a non-floyd rose, could you do the whammy bar vibrato at the end of Enter Sandman solo?
Without a floyd rose you can but you will need to buy a whammy pedal. which is just that bar built into a pedal you use with your foot and can hook up to your guitar. I agree it is wayy to complicated for your first guitar. Just buy a normal fixed bridge(no whammy) and you will be good
Kirk Hammett uses a Floyd Rose, actually, but probably, yeah. He doesn't really abuse it like these other guys do. I wouldn't recommend getting a guitar with a floyd rose on it for a first guitar anyway. Or really, any kind of whammy bar, as they're a bit harder to tune than a fixed bridge.
Quote by MetalGuitarest
Without a floyd rose you can but you will need to buy a whammy pedal. which is just that bar built into a pedal you use with your foot and can hook up to your guitar. I agree it is wayy to complicated for your first guitar. Just buy a normal fixed bridge(no whammy) and you will be good

No, it's a pitch shifter with an expression pedal. If does whammy-bar style things, but also provides dramatic pitch bending that can't be done on a guitar.

Stupid name.

So let me get this straight. A guitar can have a Floyd rose bridge, allowing for huge whammy bar pitch changes up and down. It can have a normal bridge with a whammy bar (How does this work?) or it can just have a fixed bridge and nothing else.

What happens when you try to go to far with a normal bridge and a whammy bar?
Do strings break/go out of tune or is there a limit stopping you from going that far?
Quote by GoldfishMoon
So let me get this straight. A guitar can have a Floyd rose bridge, allowing for huge whammy bar pitch changes up and down. It can have a normal bridge with a whamy bar (How does this work?) or it can just have a fixed bridge and nothing else.

Uhm, no.

A whammy bar (or more accurately, a vibrato bridge) is a style of bridge that has a bar attached to it (the actual whammy bar) that allows you to alter the pitch on the notes if you lower or raise it. A Floyd Rose is a variation on the design which locks the string down in two places, providing superior tuning stability and allowing more extreme use of the bar.

A fixed bridge is just a fixed bridge. You cannot use a whammy bar on a fixed bridge.

A whammy PEDAL is a digital effect that bends the pitch of the guitar's signal to even more extreme ends than a whammy bar possibly can (taking the notes up and down one of two octaves). It can emulate the use of a whammy bar in some situations, but doesn't sound like a real bar would.

You can use a regular vibrato bridge (more commonly -and incorrectly- called "tremolo bridge' or "trem bridge", or just "trem") for the whammy bar use at the end of that metallica solo, it's just some simple dips.

Stupid name.

^Thats what I meant, I just didn't write it properly, is it correct though? How does a whammy bar work withpout a floyd rose?
Quote by Shinozoku
Uhm, no.

A whammy bar (or more accurately, a vibrato bridge) is a style of bridge that has a bar attached to it (the actual whammy bar) that allows you to alter the pitch on the notes if you lower or raise it. A Floyd Rose is a variation on the design which locks the string down in two places, providing superior tuning stability and allowing more extreme use of the bar.

A fixed bridge is just a fixed bridge. You cannot use a whammy bar on a fixed bridge.

A whammy PEDAL is a digital effect that bends the pitch of the guitar's signal to even more extreme ends than a whammy bar possibly can (taking the notes up and down one of two octaves). It can emulate the use of a whammy bar in some situations, but doesn't sound like a real bar would.

You can use a regular vibrato bridge (more commonly -and incorrectly- called "tremolo bridge' or "trem bridge", or just "trem") for the whammy bar use at the end of that metallica solo, it's just some simple dips.

If I got a floating bridge but not a floyd rose, would it still be easy to change strings/tune?
Quote by GoldfishMoon
^Thats what I meant, I just didn't write it properly, is it correct though? How does a whammy bar work withpout a floyd rose?

Because Floyd Rose is a BRAND that creates a specific type of a whammy-equipped bridge. There are other kinds out there besides Floyd Rose, they just don't lock the strings at the nut and bridge like a Floyd Rose does, so you get the functionality of being able to use slight whammy effects, but don't have the tuning stability. But also, you don't have the hassle of dealing with the initial setup of a Floyd Rose.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
If I got a floating bridge but not a floyd rose, would it still be easy to change string/tune?

A floating bridge usually refers to Floyd Rose. Please, just get on Wikipedia and read about them, it will be much quicker and easier than me or somebody else trying to explain to you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Rose

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku

Isn't calling a Fender vibrato a tremolo technically correct (or rather less incorrect, if you'd like) as Leo Fender was drunk or something and named it that on his patents? The same might stand for a Floyd, but I don't know all that much about them.

Adversely, Bigsbys have alwas and will always be called vibratos.
Ok, so I think I finally have it.
You can have a fixed bridge or a tremolo bridge.
A tremolo bridge allows you to use a whammy bar.
Floyd Rose is a brand of tremolo bridges.

One final question which wasnt answered proeperly earlier, are strings still hard to change on a tremolo bridge that isnt a Floyd Rose? Is it just like changing strings on a standard bridged guitar?
OK, the simplest way to explain this is:
  • A whammy bar, or vibrato, is a unit on a guitar that changes the pitch of the note either up or down when the bar is pulled or pushed, respectively.
  • There are five types of vibrato bridges:
  • Fender vintage style (6 screw-arguably the most common)
  • modern 2 point system (the type of bridge used on American Fenders and those similar),
  • the Bigsby (an older system, totally top mounted and usually used on Gretsch or similar hollow or semi hollow guitars),
  • the Floyd Rose (a 2 point bridge, but with locks at the bridge and nut holding the strings in place; there are usually fine tuners)
  • the Kahler (a vibrato that operates using a cam and roller bearings with a lock at the head)

EDIT: No, it's usually not nearly as hard. Kahlers can be a pain though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It's not the same because a floating trem is usually double-locking and you have to retune it which throws off the other strings as you do so but if you block it while changing strings it's a lot easier and faster.

Or you could get a non-recessed trem like on the 80's jacksons and charvels.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
If I got a floating bridge but not a floyd rose, would it still be easy to change strings/tune?

no
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
A fixed bridge guitar is alot easier to change strings.. Like ALOT Easier. A Floyd rose bridge is harder because as said above you do need to block it and if you can't well it gunna take a while
So if I got a fender style tremolo, I would be able to change strings easily, but wouldn't be able to change pitch as much as a floyd rose?
Quote by GoldfishMoon
So if I got a fender style tremolo, I would be able to change strings easily, but wouldn't be able to change pitch as much as a floyd rose?

Yes and fender's bridges are non-locking so they aren't as stable with tuning.
How far will I be able to change pitch with a Fender bridge?
Will people at a guitar store be able to show me how to change strings on it? Is it much different from changing strings on a fixed bridge?
Floyd Rose and the higher-end Fender trems are two point, meaning they are literally floating, held by the force of the strings and springs onto two posts, which allow it to go up and down.

The average Fender trem is held by six screws and can ONLY go down.

I usually end up blocking the Fender trem (with a wood block) as I don't use it much and it really makes it easier for me.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by AntiG3
Floyd Rose and the higher-end Fender trems are two point, meaning they are literally floating, held by the force of the strings and springs onto two posts, which allow it to go up and down.

The average Fender trem is held by six screws and can ONLY go down.

I usually end up blocking the Fender trem (with a wood block) as I don't use it much and it really makes it easier for me.

Wrong.

2 point means it pivots on two points (in this case 2 studs). It can be dive only.
the 6 point fender trem can float too.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Wrong.

2 point means it pivots on two points (in this case 2 studs). It can be dive only.

Yeah, the six point on my MIM is floating. If for some reason you don't believe me, I'll get pics.
Quote by oneblackened
Wrong.

Huh, all of my six points don't float...But I can see how they can.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Ok goldfish here it is in a nutshell. If you want to play iron maiden and heavy metal and all that fun stuff but are concerned about a floyd rose here is what I propose.

Go ahead and get a floyd rose on your first guitar. Just have it setup (setups cost anywhere from $25-$100) so that the bar is not floating (not floating meaning it is not elevated just resting all the way against the body) this will have it function like a strat where you can do dive bombs (look up eddie van halen or jimi hendrix dive bombs if you don't know what this means).

This way you don't have to worry about all the hassle of a floyd rose YET!!! As you get better you'll want to tinker around, once you get the hang of doing dive bombs and having fun, you can then have it setup so that it is floating. When it is floating you can then pull back and pull forward like dimebag (RIP).

If you buy a hardtail now and will want to play around you will have to buy a new guitar later. My first guitar had a floyd rose type bridge and this is what I did. I spent four year playing around before buying a real axe.

This of course if you want to do steve vai, EVH and dimebag style playing. I think this is the best middle ground for now.

As far as actual floyd rose types (brands) there is the original floyd rose, floyd rose II, Kahler and a few others that escape me.

My favorite believe it or not is the Kahler. Floyd rose II even though those are ok they are at the bottom of my list i've only seen them on cheaper model guitars but you never know, they do get the job done.

The floyd rose original I just love but again, the kahler is a little sweeter to me. One final thought, if you do get something with a Floyd make sure you have someone install a Hipshot tremsetter in it.

Let me know if you need more details on this but it helps with the pitch and staying in tune as well as the bridge itself.

hope this helps
Quote by Pac_man0123
It's not that uncommon, it's just built to be flush with the body.

again, wrong. It was originally meant to be floating, but most players set it for dive only.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by MetalGuitarest
A floyd rose is not a brand of guitar. It is a brand of bridge. A normal electric can come with a whammy bar or it can not.. It is up to you if you want one or not

actually Floyd Rose do/did make guitars so yeah they are a brand of guitars but in this context we're talking about the bridges.
I got a question about Floyd Rose, myself. Is there any use to the little locker things on the top on the neck if you don't use the whammy? My guitar has a floyd and I don't even use it. I never use whammy and I never screw on those lock things. Is there any reason to screw them on if I don't use my whammy?
Quote by patbuck2
I got a question about Floyd Rose, myself. Is there any use to the little locker things on the top on the neck if you don't use the whammy? My guitar has a floyd and I don't even use it. I never use whammy and I never screw on those lock things. Is there any reason to screw them on if I don't use my whammy?

if you don't use the bridge at all and have it fully blocked then no there is no reason to have it locked but why do you leave it unlocked like i rarely ever feel the difference between the nut locked and unlocked.
Page 1 of 2